advertisement

Exposure

Oooohhh....another Exposure thread!!

Picked up a VI/VII PSU/Pre combo last year in a poor state...got it sorted, and now using it through a couple of JLH Monoblocs. Really pleased so far.
A couple of weeks ago, acquired a non-working IV power amp...which seems to be a bit like 'Trigger's Broom'...in the sense that work had been done, and boards changed/messed with...so no longer really 'original'
With help of another PFM member....hoping to get info. from an un-molested amp...in order to get back to a more original state. What fun!! :)
The IV is well worth the effort to give it a second life !

As I mentioned previously in the thread I really enjoyed my 17/18 combo and it is a 'sweet spot' in my hifi journey. What I did notice with them was a slight grain to the sound. A JVC AX 1010TN eradicated the grain but, in retrospect, was lacking the warmth and fullness of the Exposure. A Sony 770ES got closer again with definitely more warmth. I've ended up with a Pioneer A27 which is more like my ideal - a great 'live' sound but rather more expensive too. I'd love to hear the MCX amps as Exposure amps have a knack of getting under your skin like few others.

As I mentioned previously in the thread I really enjoyed my 17/18 combo and it is a 'sweet spot' in my hifi journey. What I did notice with them was a slight grain to the sound. A JVC AX 1010TN eradicated the grain but, in retrospect, was lacking the warmth and fullness of the Exposure. A Sony 770ES got closer again with definitely more warmth. I've ended up with a Pioneer A27 which is more like my ideal - a great 'live' sound but rather more expensive too. I'd love to hear the MCX amps as Exposure amps have a knack of getting under your skin like few others.

You actually inspired me to post a wanted ad for a 17/18 combo. Had them long ago and really liked them.

Would also love to hear MCX, although at this point I'd be more inclined to get a 5010 preamp as it would match the rest of my gear visually.

And I think you hit the nail on the head - Exposure gets under your skin.

Following this thread with interest as I'm looking to replace my roksan K2 with potentially an Exposure 3010s2d or maybe the new one. Just wondering how the 3010s2d would compare to a supernait 2 and if anyone had tried both, what their impressions were.

Aaaaggghhh...:eek::eek::eek::eek:
..."is it worth a visit to the dump?"...he asked him knowingly!!!! :)

Well buried I should think unless the nice binmen saw the boxes and pinched them, knowing what they were. It was 5 years ago and if I mentioned what else went in the same load I would be banned permanently by TonyL

Following this thread with interest as I'm looking to replace my roksan K2 with potentially an Exposure 3010s2d or maybe the new one. Just wondering how the 3010s2d would compare to a supernait 2 and if anyone had tried both, what their impressions were.

I think a 3010S2d vs a SN2 would be driven by what type of sound you prefer. The Expo is a bit warmer/richer/fuller; to my ears the SN2 is a bit . . . bleached sounding in comparison. The SN2 is a bit more exciting to listen to at first; but it *can* wear on you over time if you are not a confirmed member of the Naim church. System matters too - what source and speakers?

I think a 3010S2d vs a SN2 would be driven by what type of sound you prefer. The Expo is a bit warmer/richer/fuller; to my ears the SN2 is a bit . . . bleached sounding in comparison. The SN2 is a bit more exciting to listen to at first; but it *can* wear on you over time if you are not a confirmed member of the Naim church. System matters too - what source and speakers?
thanks
source is technics 1210gr and digital is a bluesound 2i. speakers are proac d2's.

thanks
source is technics 1210gr and digital is a bluesound 2i. speakers are proac d2's.

With D2 speakers I'd expect the Expo to work better. Part of my switch to Exposure from Naim was based on a pair of Response 2 speakers - the Exposure gear just played music better (that was comparing a 202/NAPSC/HCDR/200 to a Expo 3010S2 pre and a 28 power amp).

Obviously if it is possible try both in your system in your room and see which you prefer. I'd say both are good amps, and that either would represent a good jump up from your K2 (which is itself pretty good!).

Reactions: Gza
thanks
To me, the Supernait 1 sounds better than the 2 with the D2, just like if it was rounder, meatier and warmer giving a good balance with the D2's fast and lively signature.
Mind you though, an Exposure 28 double mono is in another league, far better in every way IMO...................although I'm a Naim fan!

Well buried I should think unless the nice binmen saw the boxes and pinched them, knowing what they were. It was 5 years ago and if I mentioned what else went in the same load I would be banned permanently by TonyL

About 3 years ago there was a listing in PFM classifieds for a bunch of kit as a job lot. I bit and bought it. Took 2 trips with a Merc estate to pick up. On the second visit found loads of owners manuals. The guy clearing it said that the deceased's daughters new boyfriend advised them that it was worthless and took to recycling.....
Revox B77, Naim CB amps, LP12.......

To me, the Supernait 1 sounds better than the 2 with the D2, just like if it was rounder, meatier and warmer giving a good balance with the D2's fast and lively signature.
Mind you though, an Exposure 28 double mono is in another league, far better in every way IMO...................although I'm a Naim fan!

I once stumbled on someone else’s demo of Proac Studio 140s with AVI integrated, Supernait and Quad 99/909 combo. The AVI was harsh, the Supernait sounded flat and shut in, the 99/909 sounded superb. My step Father in Law has late model Exposure Pre/Power (last of the X series), I’d love to try them with my Proacs.

Cheers BB

There's also the XM series pre and monoblocks, effectively one-and-a-half width, which would be an interesting alternative to the integrated.

With D2 speakers I'd expect the Expo to work better. Part of my switch to Exposure from Naim was based on a pair of Response 2 speakers - the Exposure gear just played music better (that was comparing a 202/NAPSC/HCDR/200 to a Expo 3010S2 pre and a 28 power amp).

Obviously if it is possible try both in your system in your room and see which you prefer. I'd say both are good amps, and that either would represent a good jump up from your K2 (which is itself pretty good!).

thanks. it sounds like I really need to demo an exposure amp. the sound signature sounds like it could be more suited to my tastes. I recently demoed a sn3 and liked it, but I want to see what other stuff is out there and for less money. the other amp I'd like to listen to is a sugden a21se.

thanks. it sounds like I really need to demo an exposure amp. the sound signature sounds like it could be more suited to my tastes. I recently demoed a sn3 and liked it, but I want to see what other stuff is out there and for less money. the other amp I'd like to listen to is a sugden a21se.
If you go on YouTube there is a very good reviewer A British Audiophile and he uses Proac with Exposure amps.

here is one of his earlier videos, quality a bit dodgy but the quality and reviews have improved and are excellent now.

Is anyone using Exposure with Dynaudio speakers? I often read that the lively nature of Naim is well suited to the more relaxed Dynaudio sound but interested to any that match them with Exposure

Does anyone here use Exposure amplifiers with an external phono preamp from another manufacturer?

advertisement

Back