advertisement

Top 5 Integrated Amps

Yeah…I like my Roksan K2. Understated and powerful and flexible enough. I use the phono but I am not qualified to comment on how good it is, not having heard any freestanding phonos for any comparison.

It’s interesting that, given that some, many, people think that the best preamp is a passive volume control, that no one, I mean no one, produces an integrated amp with a passive pre section. Why?

Are there any audio advantages to an integrated amp, as opposed to two boxes? Is it just about saving space and maybe money, and the effort of choosing?

I’m thinking about building another system for vinyl only and I already have a decent phono stage.
This question is likely a can of worms but what would be the very best integrated amps either new or used in the last 30 or so years?
Many thanks!

This more or less depends on speakers, turntable, room, budget, taste..

It’s interesting that, given that some, many, people think that the best preamp is a passive volume control, that no one, I mean no one, produces an integrated amp with a passive pre section. Why?

Are there any audio advantages to an integrated amp, as opposed to two boxes? Is it just about saving space and maybe money, and the effort of choosing?

The depth of your wrongness is staggering! Lots of integrated with passive pre. How about a Rega Osiris, as a starter. Many others.

Back in the day one of the answers would have been NAD3020. Was it actually any good?

I bought the NAD3030 because .... moving meters!

If I ever went for a new integrated amp at this stage in the game I suspect it would either be Sugden Masterclass or Accuphase. Probably the latter as I’d definitely want a built-in phono stage and I don’t think you can spec that with Sugden these days. I like a balance control too. If an amp is going to be two box then a pre/power with the phono stage built into the pre makes far more sense to my mind, and certainly opens the door to a lot more choice.

One physical box means quite a lot saved. My Bryston B135 cubed is simply the circuitry of a BP-17 preamplifier and 2.5B Cubed amplifier, in one (neat) chassis. One shelf of the rack, and no concerns over cables between them.

No, I can’t upgrade the pre/power separately. But then, I don’t want to anyway.

If I ever went for a new integrated amp at this stage in the game I suspect it would either be Sugden Masterclass or Accuphase. Probably the latter as I’d definitely want a built-in phono stage and I don’t think you can spec that with Sugden these days. I like a balance control too. If an amp is going to be two box then a pre/power with the phono stage built into the pre makes far more sense to my mind, and certainly opens the door to a lot more choice.

The Sugden IA-4 is a great sounding amp. What lets it down is a cheap feeling volume pot/knob, appalling usable range on the volume pot/knob and remote limited to volume control. Oh, and the remote volume control combined with the usable range simply makes that feature a pain to use as you’d desire. And no balance control.

It did add a smidge of texture over my Bryston, but in the end too small a difference to override the 135’s utility.

Crikey, a lot of good options to look at there thank you!
Criteria are:

Must not look like a school ironmongery project
Closed box design, so no valves popping out of the top
Remote control desireable
A useful amount of grunt (speakers likely to be Ditton 66's if I move them into that room)

I'd also thought about the higher end Sony ES amps but finding them is quite tricky.

Budget - up to £3k (but with man maths could go higher)

What make is this?
Luxman, L-590AXII it’s the amp I am using at present. It’s £7K the smaller version L-550 AXII might be in budget. They are Class A for the initial 30Watt or 20Watts for the 550. Excellent remote and volume control.
http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=1

The others I’d suggest you look at are Lyngdorf 2170 or 3400, Gato 400 and Yamaha 3200 - all current models. Vintage the Sony ES range you mentioned, Pioneer Elite or Marantz.

NVA integrated have a passive.

Advantages of an integrated ? I would say short signal path, short lengths of wire which are soldered and therefore removing phono plugs and sockets and expensive interconnect cables. If it's a passive pre then it is easy to shoehorn it in to an existing power amplifier case which saves money, the planet and space.:)

advertisement

Back