advertisement

Top 5 Integrated Amps

1990 onwards?
Blimey.

Well let's give it a try.

You don't need to be model specific with some makers. So,
Any Accuphase, and,
Any Luxman, including, if you can find one, the SQ38u valve integrated. Roll in some Mullard yellow labels to the phono stage and be amazed.
Sugden would be on the list, probably the 21 tho the masterclass series are also amazing if in budget.
If valves tempt you, you'll find a PrimaLuna Dialogue premium in budget for sure. Variable output will help when rockin out is required.
Finally for much less than any of the above, Exposure. I think they make great sensibly priced amps. Just a very very enjoyable listen.

Why? What didn't you like?

It wasn't a case of not liking anything in particular, just disappointed at the performance on offer, at the time both an AR pre/ Krell monos and the Sugden Masterclass pre/monos wiped the floor with the Audionote amp, even with the owners easy to drive speakers, so just a bit disappointing as it was about 10 times the price of the other amplification, even the owner agreed, he wisely sold it shortly after, we also tried an Arion 300b amp against the Audinote(uk) 300b integrated amp, they sounded quite similar only the Arion was about 1/6 the of the price.

Any of the Gato integrated amps I have heard has been superb in terms of build and sound quality. I would readily do back to the DIA 250 that I had if I ever downsize from my current system.

If an amp is going to be two box then a pre/power with the phono stage built into the pre makes far more sense to my mind, and certainly opens the door to a lot more choice.
A good point plus a two box amp does not necessarily have to take up more space than an integrated. My Dynavector combo are more physically compact than the hulking great JVC integrated I am using at the moment.

I am very happy with my Yamaha.
The only amplifier that I have heard that I liked more was a Creek, nobody has mentioned them here for some reason

Very difficult question since in the grand scheme of things we've all had limited exposure to the entire market - even dealers.
That said, from those I've heard and based on a mix of performance, style and value:

Cyrus 2 - a controversial choice perhaps but later ones had a die-caste chassis, lots of power, could drive just about anything and had a cracking on-board MC stage.

Musical Fidelity B200 - wins big on style but a nice sounding amplifier with none of the weirdness of the very toasty A1.

Naim NAC42/NAP110 - yes I know, I'm cheating it's a pre/power but you can place them side by side with the same footprint as a typical integrated. Plus they were designed to work together. Forget the Nait (good though it was) this has the original Naim sound in spades and looks 'right'.

Exposure X - Rare to see an integrated amp with a fully regulated power amplifier PSU. Controlled and tight.

Onix OA21 - (sorry I know that will touch some nerves) - the original was superb, great sound, classic simple looks and offered great value.

There are plenty more but most of those are older designs from the 70s... :)

To drive Celestion Ditton 66's, maybe a Leben c600? An original Sugden A21 with wooden surround would be my other suggestion, i'd buy both and enjoy the pepsi challenge.

Very difficult question since in the grand scheme of things we've all had limited exposure to the entire market - even dealers.
That said, from those I've heard and based on a mix of performance, style and value:

Cyrus 2 - a controversial choice perhaps but later ones had a die-caste chassis, lots of power, could drive just about anything and had a cracking on-board MC stage.

Musical Fidelity B200 - wins big on style but a nice sounding amplifier with none of the weirdness of the very toasty A1.

Naim NAC42/NAP110 - yes I know, I'm cheating it's a pre/power but you can place them side by side with the same footprint as a typical integrated. Plus they were designed to work together. Forget the Nait (good though it was) this has the original Naim sound in spades and looks 'right'.

Exposure X - Rare to see an integrated amp with a fully regulated power amplifier PSU. Controlled and tight.

Onix OA21 - (sorry I know that will touch some nerves) - the original was superb, great sound, classic simple looks and offered great value.

There are plenty more but most of those are older designs from the 70s... :)

The MF B200 is indeed a very good and hugely underrated amp. Powerful, (even more so on "peak music power") and sounds good. Basically an MF P140/150 power amp with A1/100 pre section.

I may have some mods to offer to Onix OA21 owners in the near future, ideally as part of a recap and overhaul, which correct some poor design decisions in the original and should provide a small increase in sound quality whilst removing most of the mains hum.

I am biased, mine. That why I make them the others I have used and designed for other are not for me, it is great we have all got our on music/sound tastes. Cool ;)

maybe a Leben c600?

I forgot Leben and I really like the 300. I have no use for one as I have the same basic thing in vintage Leaks and passive preamps (and likely with better/bigger transformers), but they are seriously cool integrated amps. The 600 looks great too, but again if I wanted an EL34 amp I’d likely just go vintage and buy a Radford.

The only point I can imagine going back to an integrated amp is very late in life if downsizing to a simple foolproof solid state system based around LS3/5As, but even then I’d likely just keep the Verdier valve pre & 303. It isn’t that much bigger and fits that role exactly to my taste. I don’t mind running preamp valves at all and I’ve a lifetime supply of good NOS ECC83 and 81s stashed now!

Naim Nait 5i range are with passive pre, there may be others
I’m actually really enjoying my Nait 5i, if we’re specifically talking sub £500 used integrated amps, it’s right up there. I’ve had an original red LED Nait, an Olive Nait 2 and a Nait 3r, all very good. To my ears, the Nait was a fun, peppy sounding little thing when you weren’t asking to much if it… the Nait 2 had more depth to it… the Nait 3r exchanged a little of that depth for a bit more punch and the ability to drive trickier speakers… and the Nait 5i does the best bits all of the above, but lacks a built in phono stage option, not sure why it doesn’t get more attention.

Another favourite is a the LK Linn Majik (I have three of them), wonderfully smooth, detailed and sophisticated sounding amp for the money… expansive sound stage too.

I really like the Sony 770ES, beautiful thing, sounds as big and bold as it looks.

Cyrus 3, ever heard someone describe Cyrus amps as sounding thin? I have a few times and I really wonder where that myth comes from, because to my ears, it has a lot of the attitudes of the Majik, I’ve had one driving Ruark Talismans for a few weeks with a Meridian 507 CD player up front… a nice sounding thing.

Finally, Arcam Delta 290/Alpha 9 (essentially the same amp)… big, warm, powerful… not the last word in detail but easy on the ear, particularly with heavy rock.

advertisement

Back