advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you fancy a no-brain-necessary shoot 'em up, give Nobody a whirl. Same director as John Wick so you know what to expect.

Don't think it's on Netflix or Amazon yet, but just watched The Father.
Devastating. In tears. Excellent film.

I just watched Love, Death and Robots season 2 on Netflix - stunning content, but only 8 short episodes

'Beyond the Aquila Rift' is one of Alistair Reynolds' short stories- fair to say that if you enjoyed the 'Love, Death' version then some of his others in the same volume are well worth reading. A great introduction to the 'Revelation Space' universe.

I’ve just started “The Underground Railway” on Amazon Prime. I couldn’t put into words how it made me feel, but here’s a bit of a review.

“A truly momentous achievement that will be analyzed and discussed for years to come, Barry Jenkins’ “The Underground Railroad” is much more than a history lesson. It avoids the traps of period dramas in unexpected ways, alternating lyrical passages of magical realism with brutal reminders of the wounds inflicted by the history of slavery. It is harrowing, beautiful, moving, terrifying, and somehow both deeply genuine and poetic at the same time.”

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-underground-railroad-tv-review-2021

I just watched Seaspiracy on Netflix to learn more about plastic in the oceans, but according to the filmmaker, it would seem that plastic in the oceans ain't even half of it!

I just watched Seaspiracy on Netflix to learn more about plastic in the oceans, but according to the filmmaker, it would seem that plastic in the oceans ain't even half of it!

Hearing those dolphins screaming as they got slaughtered upset me greatly. I’ve know idea how anyone can kill such a majestic creature

I thought it was a very enlightening and powerful watch, but perhaps a little too one sided

Hearing those dolphins screaming as they got slaughtered upset me greatly. I’ve know idea how anyone can kill such a majestic creature

I thought it was a very enlightening and powerful watch, but perhaps a little too one sided

Yeah, I had no idea it was essentially an indictment against the industrialisation of fishing or that the content would be so graphic and emotive: I was expecting an Attenborough-style documentary about plastic but with the gloves off, as it were. I agree, it was a tough watch at times and very enlightening as to how so-called 'sustainability approved product labels' aren't worth the paper they're written on, and much more besides.

Fishing is extremely big business so I don't see much much scope for change at the supply or political end unless there's a significant decrease at the demand end... or we humans screw the whole thing up and the matter becomes moot. It just so happens I'd decided to stop eating fish last year so my demand for seafood is already zero. But compared to the numbers involved in the industrialisation of fishing - and the sheer volume of waste in the form of by-catch as well as the damage done by dragnet fishing - a small minority of abstainers simply won't be enough to make a reversable difference.

Watched Nomadland in the cinema! What a beautiful nourishing film. I’ll watch anything with McDormand in it. She has a stillness and naturalness that makes Steep look very studied. I think she is the finest actress. A gentle film that intertwines with Nature to tackle the themes of Love, Loss, Loneliness and the meaning of Home in a refreshing way.

Sounds like Seaspiracy could use it’s own thread.

I don’t understand how a humans perceived majesty of a creature weighs the relative merits of its slaughter. Cows and pigs are less majestic but more tasty?

Sounds like Seaspiracy could use it’s own thread.

I don’t understand how a humans perceived majesty of a creature weighs the relative merits of its slaughter. Cows and pigs are less majestic but more tasty?

I think you are right regarding a dedicated thread as I think it is a very interesting programme and discussion.

Personally, although pigs (and perhaps cows) are intelligent I would not put them in the same league as Dolphins, who are only second to humans on the intellect scale. Dolphins (as far as I know) are also not reared for human consumption where as cattle and pigs are and have been for many years. I am both a meat and fish eater and have considered becoming a pescetarian. I do try and eat both in relative moderation though. You may view this as me being hypocritical and perhaps you would have a point, although it doesn't mean I don't care about how the animals I consume are raised and killed for my consumption, as I do. The trouble is, do we really believe what read anymore when programmes like Seaspiracy highlights just how corrupt things really are...

Just watched the Las Vegas zombie thing on Netflix, not bad for a bit of brain out fun. Three words - Zombie F***ing Tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back