advertisement

MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I belong to group which has investments in still good equipment and that equipment is useless with MQA. I bet we are more than audiophiles. So, if MQA will be pushing itself further we may end up with situation when some music is LPCM, some music is MQA and no music in both encodings. That would be bad thing for many of us.

You may have to invest in MQA hardware, which has been steadily decreasing in price.

IFI ZEN DAC is currently the cheapest with RCAs, at $150.

When LPs were being phased out, the situation was far, far, far worse.

This thread would be more like 40 pages if you were not so vociferous. Probably far shorter as the “discussion” would have plateaued ages ago. At least the thread provides some light relief and like a car crash there’s lots of rubber-necking.
Sure, discussion where everyone agrees are usually very short.

You may have to invest in MQA hardware, which has been steadily decreasing in price.

IFI ZEN DAC is currently the cheapest with RCAs, at $150.

When LPs were being phased out, the situation was far, far, far worse.
Again with cheap offers. Like capability to decode MQA automatically make it great at everything else.
Not sure if LP and CD is the same, they coexisted together for some time, I think, wasn't much into LP. Same music on both formats at the same time.

So MQA sounds good enough for some people. Fair enough. It is a split decision on the basis of very little data. So that does not trump all the other problems pointed out by Golden One, Archimago, Jim audiomisc, mansr, and other people linked or referred to in this thread.

On the point of MQA not wanting people to be able to have the choice to decide the kind of sound they like for themselves:

Whenever I buy a newly remastered streamed or vinyl record, for example Patti Smith's "Horses" remaster from 2005, I get really excited that I have access to both the remastered and the original album. This is because that enables me to listen to the album, first the way it sounded originally and then in its remastered version. I can choose which to listen to at any given point in time.

With MQA trying to corner the music market, at some point in the future, we may not be able to choose lossless over lossy MQA for some new albums or even for some classic rock titles.

How to avoid this situation:
(1) Let MQA die as it brings no overall improvement to music playback.
(2) Let MQA live as a filter choice in the digital domain. I am pretty sure that it is not impossible to emulate the MQA process in the digital (or analogue) domain to equalise, sweeten, deblur and enhance dynamics the way MQA claims to do it, even on the basis of lowly FLAC redbook or hi res original sources.
(3) Stick to physical media. Vote with your pocketbook [Thanks to @Yank ]

So make MQA available as an optional filter choice that people can choose to select. Don't drench MQA onto all music, please.

Last edited:
Again with cheap offers. Like capability to decode MQA automatically make it great at everything else.
Not sure if LP and CD is the same, they coexisted together for some time, I think, wasn't much into LP. Same music on both formats at the same time.
You must be young if you don't remember the trauma of the end of LP. So glad they came back.

Do they still sell CDs? Why not just buy the music you like, rip it. Live happily ever after?
Yes, they still sell CD. And I buying, not much, but regularly, do not worry, and I even do not need to rip them, I can play it as it is! They still reissue older music on new CD. If they start to reissue them in only in MQA, that CD is uselless for me. Am I not allowed to express my concern about it?

So MQA sounds good enough for some people. Fair enough. It is a split decision on the basis of very little data. So that does not trump all the other problems pointed out by Golden One, Archimago, Jim audiomisc, mansr, and other people linked or referred to in this thread.

On the point of MQA not wanting people to be able to have the choice to decide the kind of sound they like for themselves:

Whenever I buy a newly remastered streamed or vinyl record, for example Patti Smith's "Horses" remaster from 2005, I get really excited that I have access to both the remastered and the original album. This is because that enables me to listen to the album, first the way it sounded originally and then in its remastered version. I can choose which to listen to at any given point in time.

With MQA trying to corner the music market, at some point in the future, we may not be able to choose lossless over lossy MQA for some new albums or even for some classic rock titles.

(2) Let MQA live as a filter choice in the digital domain: I am pretty sure that it is not impossible to emulate the MQA process in the digital (or analogue) domain to equalise, sweeten, deblur and enhance dynamics the way MQA claims to do it, even on the basis of lowly FLAC redbook or hi res original sources.

So make MQA available as an optional filter choice that people can choose to select. Don't drench MQA onto all music, please.
Stop fear mongering.

Yes, they still sell CD. And I buying, not much, but regularly, do not worry, and I even do not need to rip them, I can play it as it is! They still reissue older music on new CD. If they start to reissue them in only in MQA, that CD is uselless for me. Am I not allowed to express my concern about it?
Of course.

But these concerns have been expressed for 5 years, and MQA has remained a niche audiophile format with minimal market penetration.

Sure, discussion where everyone agrees are usually very short.
Yeah but there’s some form of OCD or other imbalance going on here. Maybe it’s exacerbated by Covid giving people more time at home. People can disagree and move on, though some can’t it seems.

(2) Let MQA live as a filter choice in the digital domain. I am pretty sure that it is not impossible to emulate the MQA process in the digital (or analogue) domain to equalise, sweeten, deblur and enhance dynamics the way MQA claims to do it, even on the basis of lowly FLAC redbook or hi res original sources.

(3) Stick to physical media. Vote with your pocketbook.

Yeah but there’s some form of OCD or other imbalance going on here. Maybe it’s exacerbated by Covid giving people more time at home. People can disagree and move on, though some can’t it seems.
I was told on this thread that people are equally passionate about being anti-MP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back