advertisement

Rega P8 feet- removable?

JTC

PFM Villager...
I can’t check right now, but does anyone know if the Rega P8 feet can be removed and alternative levelling feet added instead? Or are they fixed? I’m hoping they might be threaded and I can probably check tomorrow but it’s Sunday and I gots to know....

I don't know but I would expect them to be held on with a screw as that's how the other Rega feet are held on. Can't you just level what the deck is sitting on?

It’s on that crappy QS wall shelf. I say crappy but actually it’s quite good, except that I find that even though I took care setting it up (6 x sturdy rawl bolts - bearing in mind my track record with wall shelves ;-) ) the arms do have a bit of sag and I can’t get quite the level of fine adjustment that I’d like. Plus, I may sell on the shelf, and get something else. Don’t know.

Yep, held on with bolts.

I have the proper P8 shelf but cannot get it level on my wall. Instead have put a perspex sheet resting on the three threaded screws that go inder the feet, levelled up. Replaced the P8 feet with Isonoe feet. No idea if these make it sound any better, but it's level and deals with some of the stamping up the stairs the other side of the wall.

You could slacken the bolts holding the shelf up and shim between the shelf and the wall. Also, rather than replace the feet you can put washers between the feet and the deck to level it. You don't need adjustable feet.

You could slacken the bolts holding the shelf up and shim between the shelf and the wall. Also, rather than replace the feet you can put washers between the feet and the deck to level it. You don't need adjustable feet.

When I moved my office to my home for quarantine I discovered my basement floor, in the corner, was way off from level. I used playing cards to shim the whole rack to level, but turntable feet would’ve been way easier.

does Rega not provide them because they’re anathema to the rigid Rega philosophy? Feels weird that there’s not an aftermarket footer like there is for the sub platter and counter weight.

You could try what I did with LP12 when I lived in a ancient house with a sloping floor. I used coins under the feet to level it. Should work fine if it is just front to back or side to side.

Most turntable do not have adjustable feet. It's the wrong way to do it. You should be getting the support level, that makes more sense.

The issue Rega have is using three feet with only one at the back. There is more weight on half the feet so the rubber gets squished and the deck is off level on a level surface. I've added a washer to the back foot on my deck to fix it but you shouldn't have to bodge things like that.

Funk Boing Rega feet are adjustable and one is sprung for heavier weight at the back. Might look a little silly on P8 though - must try mine sometime

Even with an LP12 it's unlikely the platter will be dead level with the plinth. It should be but. Bottom line is that turntables should be very level and that will almost certainly mean having to adjust it somehow. Something that should be considered from the beginning.

P8 heavy and squashes one of the feet????

Yes. Heavy enough.

The deck is resting on three identical feet. Assuming for argument sake that the weight of the platter is central (it actually isn't). At the back of the deck you have the motor, arm and the weight of the power cable and arm leads. So you have more weight on half of the feet.

Yes, that's enough to compress the rubber more. It takes a while but if the deck is a few years old, check it. Level the supporting surface. The platter will not be level.

advertisement

Back