advertisement

CD Excitement wanted

Not on my early model there isn't :( (bloody hell it's heavy)
Ah, I see. Perhaps your early model's RC5 input socket (the silver RCA socket in the pic below) was converted to S/PDIF out then.

Have you tried using DIN5 to DIN5 (aka SNAIC5) directly between CDX2 and SUPERNAIT? The manual covers using the remote handset to select between RCA out vs. DIN out vs. both:

6.5 Output Socket Selection
A pair of phono output sockets are fitted at the rear of the
CDX2 to provide an alternative to the preferred DIN socket.
Proceed as follows to select the phono sockets.

Press and hold the remote handset disp function (handset in
CD mode) until the CD player prog indicator flashes. Further
operations of the disp function will now cycle through each
combination of the two socket types. The selected option is
indicated on the CD player display. Press and hold the disp
function a second time to exit from socket selection mode​

If that doesn't work, I'd seriously consider having it put back to stock (Darran @ Class A?); these were not boring sounding players.

1927220-961731ba-naim-cdx2-cd-player.jpg

Last edited:
A CDX should deliver excitement in spades, likewise SN2.
Dynaudio not so much, lovely speakers but excitement hardly their strongest.

I would do but I bought the CDX2 modded to be digi out and from what i understand can't use the DAC within it without factory input...

Always found that configuration strange, but recall someone from Naim explained years back.
It makes CDX2 a very expensive transport with lot of wasted electronics left inside.
Not sure Naim will reverse the mods even its done by themself ?

Later on came CDX2.2 which others might refer to.

The RC selection method is just to switch between the two analog outputs, the 2 x RCA vs. DIN vs. both. I only mentioned it because connecting via the DIN may not work if the player had been left on RCA out. Nothing to do with the other single RCA socket that your digital is presumably coming out from. Hopefully the player hasn't been hacked/bodged too much.

Last edited:
My CDX2.2 has the analogue / digital out switch that Craig mentions. There is a BNC socket for the spdif connection.

Hopefully the player hasn't been hacked/bodged too much.

I bought it used from my local Audio T a couple of years back - I think he said it had been done by Naim and could be reveresed (but I guess it might be in the same way that a vasectomy can..)

Naim CD players are never lacking excitement. If you like what they do, nothing else will do. If you don't, then *anything* else will do. I'd be returning the CD player to stock and using it as a CD player with its own DAC. It was never a cheap player so it should be good. I know it's difficult right now but are there other players/DACs you could try, as a loan from a pal?

That's funny. People once thought that CD was too forward sounding...

I listen to my old players (think Philips CD100) and find them rather fluffy, unlike my TT. But they are so nice.

What else is new?

I did not want to be rude about the Dynaudio S40..........
But I compared a pair side by side against my custom made bookshelf including a Motus UH165 woofer and a Morel MDT34 tweeter and the Dynaudio were dark, lifeless, bass shy and harsh on midrange in comparison.

I bought it used from my local Audio T a couple of years back - I think he said it had been done by Naim and could be reveresed (but I guess it might be in the same way that a vasectomy can..)
Although Naim would be sure to use a BNC socket over RCA for this purpose (and did so for CDX2 ver 2), somehow, I just can't imagine their service dept converting a CDX2 ver. 1 to digital output only.

I'd be having the lid off and a look round for a slider switch within, or whether the analog board has been disconnected altogether.

CDX2 lid off:
CDX2-full.jpg

CDX2 power and digital board:
CDX-power-dig-JPG.jpg

CDX2 analog board:
CDX-ana-JPG.jpg

advertisement

Back