advertisement

CD Excitement wanted

Netley

pfm Member
I currently used a Naim CDX2 as transport to a Chord Hugo TT DAC then on to Supernait 2 with HiCap DR

I am finding that CD is fine but just a bit lifeless...

Any suggestions of how to spice it up?

(It's a small room with standmounted Dynaudio Special40 close to my desk - it all sounds great for vinyl)

I would do but I bought the CDX2 modded to be digi out and from what i understand can't use the DAC within it without factory input...

Have you heard the Naim nDAC - long in the tooth but might float your boat, available used around £800-1000. Had one for a while a few years back and have had a couple Chord DACs, maybe you could borrow a couple DACs or get from a dealer sale/return.

Don't usually hear Lifeless and Naim CD in the same sentence. If I were looking for a new CD player I'd start with a demo of the Rega Saturn-R.

I'll get the suggestion in now :) - move to Streaming, rip the Cd's to FLAC if obscure and sign up to Qobuz/Tidal - ND5XS2 or NDX2 - that's what I'd do - sell the CDX2 and also the TT if needed.

i'd love to find a way to get a Hegel mohican. Is there anything that has the same reputation but not £4k price tag?

I had a CDX/XPS and I didn't feel it lacked excitement. I suspect the mods have mucked it up.

I didn't like the CDX and prefer the Rega Saturn-R. I also tried a CD5 XS but the Saturn beat the hell out of it as well. Importantly, the Rega has a very vinyl-like sound. The sonic signature is very similar so if vinyl fits in the Rega should too.

I don't know anything about the Hugo, I know it's supposed to be good, but if it doesn't fit in.

CDX2 is switchable between analog outputs (RCA or DIN5) and digital (S/PDIF via BNC) via a small slide switch out back.

Hmmm the TT positively sparkled with life when I owned one. There is a possibility the internal batteries are getting long in the tooth and could do with a change now, that might account for it? Personally I prefer the original Hugo and TT to the later models, so I’d start with making sure the TT is still working at its best. Maybe try running a different source into it using the optical input & see if the sound changes too.

Your CD player connected directly to your Supernait is the way to go IMO otherwise, you will have to spend A LOT of money to beat that. An Audio Research CD player would get this problem solved but they are hard to find and rather costly.

Have you thought about different speakers? Although it was a long time ago, Dynaudio were the most boring speakers I've ever heard. Even the guy from our local car hifi centre said the car versions were the same.

advertisement

Back