advertisement

It’s not just 911s and Minis that are big now.

I suspect the Italian arm of Peugeot will be trimmed substantially in the next few years. The few survivors will be electric anyway. The next Alfa could well be based on the Ami, which, if it has a fault, is that it looks like sh*t.

I think the new 4 series is a very bold look. A grower.

The front grills on BMWs are definitely growing...

8_x7_grille_joke.jpg

They’ve mostly been a turn off since the Chris Bangle styling. And that was what? 15 years ago?
Very few cars from the last twenty years or more make me want to look twice.

The E90, F30 and their variants are great looking but the current 3 has really droopy looks. Just not a fan at all.

Oi! Can I put a word in for the Panda! Wonderful cars. I can't wait for the new hybrid.

but yes, the Alfa's not bad too

I had an original one in 1981, with a roll-back sunroof.
It made up for my missing MG Midget.
That little Fiat was the most fun car I’d had since the Midget.

1966_Fiat_Nuova_500F_and_2008_Fiat_500.jpg

We don't have the Panda in the USA, but we do have a 500L which appears to be the same thing but dolled up to look like a 500.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think the big one on the right is more attractive, it is adventurous, clever and pleasing. The one on the left is weak.......

Seriously? Every time I see an E30 in good condition I just smile. That X thing is over styled beyond belief and will age badly. And it looks terrible now.

We've had the original Fiat 500 (£5 in petrol to drive from Manchester to London, but it took 7 hours), two of the original Pandas (first one destroyed buy a local criminal in a revenge attack), and three Moggies. I wouldn't mind another 500, just for fun, but my wife would like a Panda.

1966_Fiat_Nuova_500F_and_2008_Fiat_500.jpg

We don't have the Panda in the USA, but we do have a 500L which appears to be the same thing but dolled up to look like a 500.
That one on the right there has been dangerously over-inflated.

Last edited:
The E90, F30 and their variants are great looking but the current 3 has really droopy looks. Just not a fan at all.
Not a fan of the E90 aesthetics at all. Looks-wise, my fav 3-series is the E46, followed by the F30. The G20 doesn't quite do it for me, so I will hang onto my F31 for a bit longer.

The last good looking BMW was the E38 (IMHO obvs).

I miss my E30 325i MSport and Avus Blue E34 525i.

Not a fan of the E90 aesthetics at all. Looks-wise, my fav 3-series is the E46, followed by the F30. The G20 doesn't quite do it for me, so I will hang onto my F31 for a bit longer.

I’m bound to be biased to E90 series especially the E91 since I own one. ;)

It’s only a 320D M Sport (07 plate) with 205k on the clock but just passed it’s MOT first time . :cool:

Not all cars have gotten that much bigger and heavier:

1994-Mazda-Miata-NA-and-2016-Mazda-Miata-ND.jpg

MX-5 NA: 2183 lbs, 155.5L x 55.1W (5.5kg/hp)
MX-5 ND: 2216 lbs, 154 L x 68W (7.6 kg/hp)

The last good looking BMW was the E38 (IMHO obvs).

I miss my E30 325i MSport and Avus Blue E34 525i.
90s BMWs were great looking cars. I drove both the 3 series coupe of the time and the 5 series, but never bought either. Shame. At the time I was trying and failing to kill another great car, a Cavalier mk 3, 2 litre. OK, it didn't have the glamour, but it was a mile eater. In the days before speed cameras it once took me from Portsmouth ferry terminal to Leeds city centre in exactly 3 hours. 95 on the clock all the way, I stayed under 100 because that was a ban, and the thing just lapped it up.

I’m bound to be biased to E90 series especially the E91 since I own one. ;)

It’s only a 320D M Sport (07 plate) with 205k on the clock but just passed it’s MOT first time . :cool:
I almost made an exception for the E92, especially the last version with the N55 engine. But I needed a wagon.

Glad to hear your E91 is reliable. My F31 just started to leak oil in three places at 7 years / 135,000km. These were fixed at some cost, but I dare say much more cheaply than buying a new car. Otherwise, my F31 is quite a peach. ;)

Agreed the ND reversed the same trend started by the NB followed by NC.

The latest MX5 looks great. They have become less feminine over the years but all models looked good. Mine was a mk2, whether I bought too low down the food chain I don't know, but I never took to it. It was nice enough to drive but I never opened the garage to a sense of excitement. The old Mondeo that was a daily driver was the car I became attached to, mostly because it was an indestructible workhorse that just said "London? Great, let's go".

Apologies for going off topic, but here’s another beautiful looking car, I’d love one of these!

(image borrowed from classicdriver.com)

vIlWimT.jpg

The P1800 was designed in Italy. Or so everybody thought... A guy called Pelle Pettersson, for many years mostly known for his series of family sailing boats (the 245's of the sailing world) designed it in his youth. He was doing work practice for Frua while actually living bang in in the middle of Volvoland in Gothenburg!

advertisement

Back