advertisement

It’s not just 911s and Minis that are big now.

partly, but things like phatter tyres, more tech, more safety, bigger crumple zone.....

Safety is the big (lol) reason. Also human nature, each iteration gets bigger as punters want more space but not to buy a “bigger” car so they buy the new model because is is an inch longer, wider, more rear seat space etc. Time inflates.

Bit silly to compare with a much more expensive style icon.

I wasn’t comparing them except to say that the size increase is quite shocking.
I’ve driven Pandas and like them for what they are. Even an amoeba understands they’re different types of car, so I doubt there’s a need to list the differences.

I wasn’t comparing them except to say that the size increase is quite shocking.
I’ve driven Pandas and like them for what they are. Even an amoeba understands they’re different types of car, so I doubt there’s a need to list the differences.

I suspect the length and width are similar. It is only the height.
edit length GTV: 409cm. Panda: 365cm
width GTV: 158cm Panda: 164cm

Now if you want to diss the Panda XL I agree !

I’d rather diss Diss. Weird town.

Is an unmarried woman from there a Diss Miss?

The Panda 100hp was a hoot.

The current model transferred my son home when he was born. so will always hold a special place in my heart.

Mind you, my partner had to sit in the back as the child seat took up all the space.

Stephen

Porsche-911-old-v-new-680x391.jpg

p13_0019_a4_rgb.jpg
But that is the 4S, flared arches at the rear. not a fair comparison.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think the big one on the right is more attractive, it is adventurous, clever and pleasing. The one on the left is weak.......

Each to their own, of course. That X - thing looks so excessive and offensive. The E30 is a simple, classic 3 box saloon that works. I’ve found whenever changing cars, I go for the new model of the smaller car, which tends to be about the same size as the old model bigger car if that makes sense. I don’t want big, wide cars with daft wheels. They’re a pain in the neck on narrow country lanes and hopeless in the winter. I do understand that most will be driven in suburbia where the main issue is finding somewhere to park the damn thing in Waitrose.

Imagine trying to park it in the average Waitrose slot. It’s almost worth nicking a two year kid so you can use the parent and child spaces.
It's OK, something that big can be backed up to the loading bay at the back with the other HGVs. You just need to fit a reversing beeper and hand your keys to the guy on the dock before they start driving the fork lifts in and out.

Safety is the big (lol) reason. Also human nature, each iteration gets bigger as punters want more space but not to buy a “bigger” car so they buy the new model because is is an inch longer, wider, more rear seat space etc. Time inflates.
Yup. NCAP, friend or foe?

In pursuit of greater passenger safety, cars have got longer, wider, and heavier. This negatively affects pedestrian safety, especially as they’ve also got quieter and more insulating for the occupants, who drive less attentively because their own safety isn’t an issue. All this weight and bulk also adversely affects fuel consumption and emissions, partially offsetting advances in engine design and fuel efficiency in recent years.

Laws of product evolution. Build a bit more into every product iteration, and get the punters to buy a bigger & fancier product than they thought they needed - keeping the product name helps. When your lower/mid model has become the same size as your older upper/mid model, create a new lower/mid model with a new name, to prevent others sneaking into your slot.

advertisement

Back