advertisement

It’s not just 911s and Minis that are big now.

Old Alfas give me the horn.

I need to stop looking at them, firstly because I can't afford one and secondly because I keep making a tent with my pants.

If I ever came into a life changing amount of money it wouldn't be the Ferrari or Lambo dealer I'd be beating a path to, I'd be straight down to Alfaholics for one of their mental GTAs.

The Panda is one of those "joli-laid" designs, that is striking by being intentionally disjoint ed so its appeal comes from its very lack of conventional beauty. See also Multipla, Skoda Roomster, etc.

Porsche-911-old-v-new-680x391.jpg

p13_0019_a4_rgb.jpg

The Panda is one of those "joli-laid" designs, that is striking by being intentionally disjoint ed so its appeal comes from its very lack of conventional beauty. See also Multipla, Skoda Roomster, etc.
I think that’s true, but it doesn’t invalidate the OP’s point. If you put an original Panda alongside the current model, it would be dwarfed.

God that Alfa is lovely. Why can’t they make cars like that any more!

The size of cars now is ridiculous. When you look at something like an E30 BMW, it’s tiny but don’t remember people complaining at the time. If you wanted more space, you bought a 5 series.

God that Alfa is lovely. Why can’t they make cars like that any more!

The size of cars now is ridiculous. When you look at something like an E30 BMW, it’s tiny but don’t remember people complaining at the time. If you wanted more space, you bought a 5 series.

It's simply a function of the need for the newer model to be more roomy, so the easiest way is to make it bigger. There's a cycle if you look. Take the Golf. As above the new Polo is now larger than the original Golf so the Up was created to be the small car slotting in behind the Polo. In 25 years time (well it won't be as cars as we know them will be over by then) the Up will be bigger than the Polo is now and so on.

God that’s hideous. We really have gone backwards when it comes to car design.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think the big one on the right is more attractive, it is adventurous, clever and pleasing. The one on the left is weak.......

The Panda is a cheap utilitarian car that takes 4 people and luggage. Or with seats folded takes an unbelievable amount of stuff. It is narrow for narrow city roads in Italy dating back to cart and horse. Great little car. Bit silly to compare with a much more expensive style icon.

Reactions: PsB

advertisement

Back