advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

I’m going to have to go back to commercial car washes after selling the house with off street parking, garage, hoses etc. I stopped going to the excellent car wash at St. George’s Cross in Glasgow after they twice blew the parking sensors in on a Golf, costing me £200 to get the bumper taken off and them refitted during annual service.
I imagine I’ll have to wait till it rains then go out with a bucket of soapy water but not today I don’t think,

N8T7Pb7.jpg

I think you over did it with the snow foam

so did my last 2. I use them.
I Used to be a 'weekly washer', but now it's about every month or so:
1. Cold water and soft brush.
2. Hot water with Halfords best waxy wash stuff on a sponge. Hose it all off.
Power wash plastic skirts and wheels/wheel arches.
Chamy Leather dry.
I have some kind of 'diamond hard' protect film applied on new cars so no waxing for three years.

On the old Merc tho it's different. I'm preserving that as in as good nic as i can get, so no pressure washer goes near it, and it gets Autoglym wax twice a year after the above routine.
I do also use an Autoglym product that is good for removing brake dust from the alloys on those occasions, and then coat the wheels with a preservative cleaner too.

Living down a country lane in winter means washing cars is a pretty futile exercise. Having mentioned that, I have just come in from washing all three. One's just returned from the Lake District & was black with road salt, SWMBO's is just thick mud, and the sports jobs' got a fair bit of bird shit on it so easier just to wash it. I've taken to washing the big clods of mud off my cars when I get home after a drive - only takes a couple of minutes with a conveniently-located hose. Otherwise, you get plastered in mud getting in & out of the blessed things.

free cycle ?

Not keen on freecycle
Twice I have listed items to give away and twice the same person collected in the same van and also asked if I had anything else ?
I then noticed the same person at the local car boot sale selling the item I gave away , I was hoping the items would go to someone who needed then not someone who only wants to prophet from them , Hey Ho

Not keen on freecycle
Twice I have listed items to give away and twice the same person collected in the same van and also asked if I had anything else ?
I then noticed the same person at the local car boot sale selling the item I gave away , I was hoping the items would go to someone who needed then not someone who only wants to prophet from them , Hey Ho

The Lord is his shepherd...

Any successful tips for inside of windows? I find it challenging to get it film-free, particularly the windscreen. It’s the one thing that drives me nuts about hire cars- they never clean the inside of the glass to the extent you cannot see out of the windscreen in direct sunlight.

I just don't do it tbh. Carwash, vac out dog hairs and clean the alloys occasionally and that's it, but I never let the car get to the point where it looks dirty.

Not keen on freecycle
You have to be selective with Freecycle. Some people are quite smart and advertise other articles, which may be fictitious , so alongside a box of workshop tools there are assorted children's clothes and a portable tv, believed working. This filters out scratters who just want anything they can sell. "Yes mate, I'll come and take the lot" . No, you can FO, scrounging carboot lowlife.

I've had mixed experience with FC, mostly positive. I got rid of some Leylandii trunks on FS, invited people to bring a chainsaw and collect. 3 people turned up separately, I gave them a hand to remove it. I only had one dickhead asking "will you deliver it?" Yeah sure, I'll put it on the fire f for you as well, and while I'm coming over do you want anything from the shops? Idiot.

One problem with FC is that having got something for nothing they value it as such and fail to collect. I had some schoolgirl who wanted to use some old plantpots and planters for an art project, she then changed her mind and didn't bother sending a message to say so, and stopped replying to messages asking when she was collecting.

I put up with this because occasionally I get a gem. Broken bicycles, yes please. I've had 4, of which I've made 3 working. One's in Italy and gets used by me now and again, one gets trundled around the village by my dad, one is in a mate's shed. It sees the light of day once a year or so for a camping trip, goes as far as the village pub.

Any successful tips for inside of windows? I find it challenging to get it film-free, particularly the windscreen. It’s the one thing that drives me nuts about hire cars- they never clean the inside of the glass to the extent you cannot see out of the windscreen in direct sunlight.

Red hot water, fairy liquid and a non scratch sponge. Wash well, dry off with a well rinsed and fresh chammy.

After that, use the likes of AGs Fast Glass and a decent microfiber drying towel

Autoglym fast glass is good. The windows / lights are the only bits I do clean in the winter.

advertisement

Back