The Car cleaning section , Please join in

It was this Al:
1047851-B-1-B40-4840-B205-0-A588-E0175-AB.jpg

OK thanks , will see if I can get a bottle next time in store

For me currently it's:

Nilfisk power washer; Autobrite Snow Foam cannons
Autoglym (AG) Polar Blast Snow foam
AG Polar Wash or Ultimate Shampoo
AG Polar Seal or Chemical Guys 'Insta Wax' - this is more of a spring/summer finish, Polar Seal over the Autumn & Winter months

I use either a decent microfibre towel or a lambs wool mitt to wash the car; 2 buckets usually, but always have a grit guard in any bucket I use

The car gets towel dried with The Chemical Guys 'Woolly Mammoth' towel and the alloys/tyres dried with a normal drying towel (such as one of the Megs one or standard ones from Amazon)

I use AG Magma to clean the wheels and de-iron/tar the lower quarters of the cars; AG Tar Remover for the stubborn spots (silver cars, so it stands out a mile)

The alloys get cleaned with the Chemical Guys Red Rocket wheel brush and whichever soap I'm using; they'll get removed every other month for a full clean and wax; the wheel arches cleaned/scrubbed with a stiff brush and then treated with AG Rubber & Vinyl Care (works well IMO)

The interiors are simply hoovered; surfaces treated with AG Rubber/Vinyl care and a microfibre towel. All door seals are treated with Gummi Pflege regularly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004B8GTQG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Engine bays get power washed, dried and treated with AG Rubber/Vinyl care again; works well and lasts well :)

As for the glass; that gets treated with wither Dodo Juice 'Clearly Menthol' or AGs 'Fast Glass'

That's about it really; I'm not a detailer, so I don't do DA polishing etc. I do have an orbital polisher, but rarely use it as don't trust myself and our cars are silver, so they hide any marks very well ;) :D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’m going to have to go back to commercial car washes after selling the house with off street parking, garage, hoses etc. I stopped going to the excellent car wash at St. George’s Cross in Glasgow after they twice blew the parking sensors in on a Golf, costing me £200 to get the bumper taken off and them refitted during annual service.
I imagine I’ll have to wait till it rains then go out with a bucket of soapy water but not today I don’t think,

N8T7Pb7.jpg

Same thing isn't it

no.

Anyway I don't give a fvck about how clean my car is. I am however a huge car and driving enthusiast.
My last car got washed once during my ownership. I collected it brand new from the dealer, and after about 2.5 years it was due for its 1st service, and so got a wash

No need to spend a lot on tar removers, if you want to use an aerosol wd40 does the job. Yes, it removes wax, but so do the proprietary products. Ye cannae change the laws of chemistry, Cap'n. If you want to be a real cheapskate petrol or paraffin on a brush or a rag will do it, but a product in a spraycan is much easier.

No need to spend a lot on tar removers, if you want to use an aerosol wd40 does the job. Yes, it removes wax, but so do the proprietary products. Ye cannae change the laws of chemistry, Cap'n. If you want to be a real cheapskate petrol or paraffin on a brush or a rag will do it, but a product in a spraycan is much easier.

Yup it works well; but I've got the other stuff anyways, so will use that until it's run out...

Twice a year or so, depending on weather conditions.
I agree with this - about every six months, but only if there hasn’t been any rain to do the job for me. I’ve recently discovered that a bog-standard non-metallic paint finish helps too - they look quite dull whether clean or dirty, so no-one can tell whether you have washed the car or not.

Swissol Wax
BMW branded polish - seldom used
Poor Boys Wheel Wax
An Iron Remover - Also Autoglyn Magma I think. Same effect as a clay bar.
Another Iron Remover for Wheels - sonax I think.
Quick Detailer
Meguiers Wool Mit
Large Microfibre Drying Cloth*
Autoglyn Gel for renovating black exterior plastics
Bil Hamber UC Corrosion Protection Wax

I think using the drying cloth is the most important stage as it also has a light polishing effect.

I'm not a fan of clutter, never have been, so can tends to be clean and free of junk. At the moment, a normal clean consists of Autoglym Snow-Foam, Autoglym HD shampoo (it smell quite nice), Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and some Bilbery alloy cleaner. A posh clean is the same minus the BSD and with Sonax Paint Prepare and Polymer Net Shield. Super posh includes fall out remover and perhaps a bit of claying. Dealer is told not to clean the car.

My current car came with a huge case, full of Autoglym stuff. Not worked out what it's for yet

Seems to work on the boat though

Last edited:

advertisement

Back