advertisement

VPN services?

aha I c. Watching geographic redtrictee content you haven't paid for.

Eventually these Co's will choose to geolocate the device and map to IP address
I DO pay for Netflix to use my example. So when I go to visit friends in the states my account gives me access to that content because I'm logging into it in that country. They know my account is based here and do not block me from that content. So how is it any different if I were to use a VPN to watch it whilst being here. I know you're going to say entertainment rights etc but I personally think if my account isn't allowed to see what's on the US server then I shouldn't be allowed to see it with that account regardless of where I am.

I stopped renewing my TunnelBear subscription when I effectively stopped travelling due to Covid. I used it to keep data secure like credit card stuff while using public networks abroad. The day I had started using it was for a different primary reason- to watch the World Cup final on my iPad in 2014 on the BBC while in Santorini!

I DO pay for Netflix to use my example. So when I go to visit friends in the states my account gives me access to that content because I'm logging into it in that country. They know my account is based here and do not block me from that content. So how is it any different if I were to use a VPN to watch it whilst being here. I know you're going to say entertainment rights etc but I personally think if my account isn't allowed to see what's on the US server then I shouldn't be allowed to see it with that account regardless of where I am.

no need to lose you hair. Ts&Cs is what matters. i don't care about what you want.

I stopped renewing my TunnelBear subscription when I effectively stopped travelling due to Covid. I used it to keep data secure like credit card stuff while using public networks abroad. The day I had started using it was for a different primary reason- to watch the World Cup final on my iPad in 2014 on the BBC while in Santorini!
I think GT has a point - I suppose the only reason I use it now is for watching UK TV abroad, whereas originally it was because of general paranoia on public WiFi. I don't have anything particularly challenging on my devices, so I'm now wondering if it worth the fees at all.

Don’t assume these VPN services are a silver bullet to security matters, your best bet is gen up on the safer use of your smart tech and take sensible, basic measures to protect yourself. Couple of things that go a long way to helping are to Use a different complex password for each account and keep the software/firmware up to date - most devices can do this automatically if you OK it.

NordVPN, a virtual private network provider that promises to “protect your privacy online,” has confirmed it was hacked.
The admission comes following rumors that the company had been breached. It first emerged that NordVPN had an expired internal private key exposed, potentially allowing anyone to spin out their own servers imitating NordVPN.​

NCSC ADVICE:
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/securing-your-devices
We recommend you take some time to go through these guides* every few months, or when you get a new device, to make sure you're protected.​
*(links lead to the relevant external websites)

Don’t assume these VPN services are a silver bullet to security matters, your best bet is gen up on the safer use of your smart tech and take sensible, basic measures to protect yourself. Couple of things that go a long way to helping are to Use a different complex password for each account and keep the software/firmware up to date - most devices can do this automatically if you OK it.

NordVPN, a virtual private network provider that promises to “protect your privacy online,” has confirmed it was hacked.
The admission comes following rumors that the company had been breached. It first emerged that NordVPN had an expired internal private key exposed, potentially allowing anyone to spin out their own servers imitating NordVPN.​

NCSC ADVICE:
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/securing-your-devices
We recommend you take some time to go through these guides* every few months, or when you get a new device, to make sure you're protected.​
*(links lead to the relevant external websites)

excellent points. A password manager and extremely complex passwords are good advice. It might be inconvenient, but enabling 2FA where offered is useful.

Some apps and companies are now asking you to geo-locate and they check the location data with the IP address to see if they match their records. Clearly some on a VPN wont match,

I'm dubious about password managers. If someone get's into my computer that person has free access to ALL my really important passwords. Or?????

Passwords should be looooong. But as long as they aren't the obvious ones (like DonaldDuck) they can be something you can remember in your head, a phrase like 'MotherIsBakingSconesForBreakfast'.

I'm dubious about password managers. If someone get's into my computer that person has free access to ALL my really important passwords. Or?????

Passwords should be looooong. But as long as they aren't the obvious ones (like DonaldDuck) they can be something you can remember in your head, a phrase like 'MotherIsBakingSconesForBreakfast'.
Only if you hand them the keys to the castle, Password Managers/Systems have various levels of security including encryption and can be further enhanced using 2FA/Biometrics - the hardware for which is now available at low cost.

Only if you hand them the keys to the castle, Password Managers/Systems have various levels of security including encryption and can be further enhanced using 2FA/Biometrics - the hardware for which is now available at low cost.

I use 2FA and biometrics (finger print).

Our network sits behind a firewall appliance, provided by the company my wife works for. She isn't allowed to use a WiFi connection on her laptop or use any USB external storage

In my experience trying to get netflix US via a VPN was like wack a mole, I have given up trying now.

You are lucky then, Netflix emplyes tools to check where requests are coming from, I am surprised you are getting away with it. Perhaps its just the US Netflix which is particuarly pissy.

You are lucky then, Netflix emplyes tools to check where requests are coming from, I am surprised you are getting away with it. Perhaps its just the US Netflix which is particuarly pissy.
What do you mean by requests?
I'm permanently signed in.

When you pick something to watch and that gets streamed to you, netflix knows that, ips and everything, of course, its how the internet works. You said you only used the VPN to sign up.

Technically and certainly for me in the past you have to have a permanent VPN going to use the service. I used to set it up through my router and point just atvs etc running netflix at it, but they get you in the end and cut if off.

advertisement

Back