advertisement

New Quad II Classics problems

That's appalling. Do you not have a longer/more robust screwdriver where you can apply a bit more torque? Maybe a slight tap of a small hammer on the screwdriver whilst it is engaged; this could loosen the bolts/screws. Removing the cage cannot be interpreted as 'user access'. Also, have you checked the mains fuse? Mine went for no apparent reason recently on one of my EAR mono's with a plop from the r/h speaker.

B.t.w., which Sugden power are you using as I'm toying with going the other way?
The valve cages on 509s are challenging to remove and fit- had to buy a ridiculously long screwdriver capable of getting through the slits to the very inaccessible screws which are then murder to seat to put the cages back on.
Nagra Boy, I sincerely hope the dealer immediately replaces the amps with a fresh pair!

The valve cages on 509s are challenging to remove and fit- had to buy a ridiculously long screwdriver capable of getting through the slits to the very inaccessible screws which are then murder to seat to put the cages back on.

Tell me about it !!!!!! I have the perfect thin screwdriver and use one of those little LED torches to relocate, assuming one of the screws hasn't dropped/rolled somewhere. It could have been better designed, I feel. Also, you have to be careful not to knock the output valve which is too close.

Nagra Boy, I did ask, but am very interested in which Sugden class A (?) amp you're using.

* Update *

Had a phone call from the dealer this morning who called on his day off. He spoke to Quad and they are sending a single mono to the dealer next Tuesday. The dealer will run the amp for a couple of hours to make sure it’s ok and all being well, it should be delivered to me next Thursday. Things would happen even more quickly if not for the Christmas period. All in all, a very good response that has put me at ease.

* Update *

Had a phone call from the dealer this morning who called on his day off. He spoke to Quad and they are sending a single mono to the dealer next Tuesday. The dealer will run the amp for a couple of hours to make sure it’s ok and all being well, it should be delivered to me next Thursday. Things would happen even more quickly if not for the Christmas period. All in all, a very good response that has put me at ease.

Thats's a great result.

Send 'em back and I'll sell you my Primaluna Prologue 2, which as far as I can ascertain is a clone of a pair of Quad 2's with SS rectifier + simple pre in a single box.

Must get round to writing the advert

* Update *

Does that mean you'll be left with a pair of non-matching serial numbers though?

Does that mean you'll be left with a pair of non-matching serial numbers though?

They aren’t matched normally, just consecutive. But it does mean the SN won’t match what the packaging says. I’m a little surprised Quad decided to send one amp rather than a new pair. I’ll be happy as long as my final pair both work nicely.

Not seen much about these amps.

Are these clones of the original Quad II or a different design with Quad II looks?

Not seen much about these amps.

Are these clones of the original Quad II or a different design with Quad II looks?

Practically identical to the original Quad II. It uses a GZ34 instead of the GZ32, and I think some component values have been uprated for improved reliability. Also, it doesn’t have the output to connect a Quad preamp, just standard switched IEC, RCA socket and multi-way binding posts.

Not easy to find pics of the insides but here’s one I found:

kLuUuWp.jpg

Practically identical to the original Quad II
I'm sure you will enjoy them.....
I have a pair of the originals, albeit largely re-componented. I'm shocked by how good they are compared to my ultra-modern class D amp, which is also terrific. But, they were made 60 years apart!

From the pic they look neat, not like the II-40 dog's breakfast interior. That really put me off from buying them...

Cage issue or bang ‘n buzz?

Cage issue. Rather than your bang ‘n buzz, the problem with my II Classic Integrated is of the crackle and glow variety. A dealer suggested moving some valves around to diagnose whether it’s a valve or a bias issue, but one of the three screws holding the cage on is not shifting.

From the pic they look neat, not like the II-40 dog's breakfast interior. That really put me off from buying them...

Exactly, me too - I could’ve got a pair of the II-40 quite easily but had to wait months for the II-Classics. There’s a blog post explaining all the problems with the II-40. I can only hope they’ve resolved the layout since the early output.

Cage issue. Rather than your bang ‘n buzz, the problem with my II Classic Integrated is of the crackle and glow variety. A dealer suggested moving some valves around to diagnose whether it’s a valve or a bias issue, but one of the three screws holding the cage on is not shifting.

I was unable to open my Leben CS300XS for over 4 years until I managed to find a screwdriver of just the right size. Seems a more common problem than I’d realised. I see no reason to make them screw-in, they should be a pull-out arrangement.

Exactly, me too - I could’ve got a pair of the II-40 quite easily but had to wait months for the II-Classics. There’s a blog post explaining all the problems with the II-40. I can only hope they’ve resolved the layout since the early output.
It seems the first English-made were OK, but they got into trouble when production moved to China. Don't know if it's 100 % true, but...

It seems the first English-made were OK, but they got into trouble when production moved to China. Don't know if it's 100 % true, but...

I heard they flew the entire Huntingdon staff to China to oversee the start of valve amp production.

The II-40 isn’t the same type of circuit as the old II but I’m not sure exactly how it’s different. Andy Grove designed them I think. The main mistake was that poorly laid-out PCB, from what I’ve read.

I’m sure my II-Classics will be superb come next Thursday. After all, they’ve not really messed with PJW’s design with this one.

advertisement

Back