advertisement

New Quad II Classics problems

Nagraboy

Ausculta fili
Just plugged in and switched on my brand new Quad II Classic monoblocks. After about 1 minute from switch on, there was a loud bang through the right speaker (LS3/5a) and the right mono block is buzzing. I put my hand on the mains transformer and I can feel it buzzing and vibrating. The left mono block isn’t doing this. I wonder if my Falcon speaker is blown? Should I switch the Quad’s off? Should I try to play something through them? They are literally brand new just opened this afternoon!

GDIcm0H.jpg

Last edited:
Transformer coupled so shouldn't be any DC on the speaker output - that should have saved the Falcons.
I'd remove and reseat all of the tubes then try again with some test speakers if you have them.

Transformer coupled so shouldn't be any DC on the speaker output - that should have saved the Falcons.
I'd remove and reseat all of the tubes then try again with some test speakers if you have them.

Can’t reseat the valves as the cage is screwed in and the provided screwdriver to remove it doesn’t fit the screws properly. Too tight to remove.

I’ve put my Sugden back in and there doesn’t seem to be any audible damage to the Falcon speaker.

FWIW I’d never plug any valve equipment in after shipping before having checked the valves were intact and correctly seated. I’ve seen bits of broken valve rattling around in the casing before now with brand new stuff, plus valves not even remotely correctly seated in their bases. It actually amazes me that so much kit ships with the valves in place, it is a terrible idea IMHO. I check solid state kit if it is second hand too, e.g. fuse ratings, look for signs of dodgy repair work etc etc. Nothing gets plugged in unless I’m happy.

FWIW I’d never plug any valve equipment in after shipping before having checked the valves were intact and correctly seated. I’ve seen bits of broken valve rattling around in the casing before now with brand new stuff, plus valves not even remotely correctly seated in their bases. It actually amazes me that so much kit ships with the valves in place, it is a terrible idea IMHO. I check solid state kit if it is second hand too, e.g. fuse ratings, look for signs of dodgy repair work etc etc. Nothing gets plugged in unless I’m happy.

They all looked perfectly straight under the cage, shame I couldn’t get it off though.

Do you think unseated valves could cause the loud speaker bang and buzzing mains transformer? I’ve no idea tbh. I just hope the dealer and Quad sort this out quickly. Would be nice to see some top-class customer service for a change!

Depending on what exactly is in and out of the circuit, potentially yes! Likewise a cracked or otherwise damaged valve.

Hmm well, I’m awaiting the dealer’s email response but I expect they’ll collect them for a new pair, unless Quad want to have a look at them first.

Can’t reseat the valves as the cage is screwed in and the provided screwdriver to remove it doesn’t fit the screws properly. Too tight to remove.

I appreciate it doesn’t help you any but I have a poorly Quad II Classic Integrated that suffers from exactly the same issue.

That's appalling. Do you not have a longer/more robust screwdriver where you can apply a bit more torque? Maybe a slight tap of a small hammer on the screwdriver whilst it is engaged; this could loosen the bolts/screws. Removing the cage cannot be interpreted as 'user access'. Also, have you checked the mains fuse? Mine went for no apparent reason recently on one of my EAR mono's with a plop from the r/h speaker.

B.t.w., which Sugden power are you using as I'm toying with going the other way?

That's appalling. Do you not have a longer/more robust screwdriver where you can apply a bit more torque? Maybe a slight tap of a small hammer on the screwdriver whilst it is engaged; this could loosen the bolts/screws. Removing the cage cannot be interpreted as 'user access'. Also, have you checked the mains fuse? Mine went for no apparent reason recently on one of my EAR mono's with a plop from the r/h speaker.

B.t.w., which Sugden power are you using as I'm toying with going the other way?

I don’t have an appropriate screwdriver here, it needs a long thin one as you have to poke it through the mesh in the cage. Quite fiddly. I’ve boxed up the amps now and am awaiting their collection assuming the dealer is agreeable.

The fuse, I have not checked. But after the bang and subsequent buzzing the amp remained on and the valves were still lit up so the fuse would seem to be intact.

I’m really hoping this can all be resolved and I’ll have a lovely pair of Quad IIs soon.

Having chatted with Nagraboy about this I can't help but have a real interest in the situation, as well as a deal of sympathy of course, it's just horrible when things like this happen.

My particular interest lies in how it's handled at the dealer/Quad end. NB shared his email to both parties with me and to say it's most reasonable is an understatement. Clearly a very measured approach has been taken, things sometimes go wrong and that's been accepted. The key now is how it's handled at the supply end. I believe there's only one acceptable response and that's to have the Quad IIs collected by the same courier that delivers the replacement pair.

Let's hope this is sorted in the way we'd all hope if we'd just bought new gear that makes a loud bang and then buzzes ! Despite the real disappointment angle surrounding this, this is where manufacturers and dealers have an opportunity to really shine in putting something right that's gone wrong.

Sounds like a frightening experience!

I wouldn't accept the dealer taking them back to "have a look at them". I would want my money back or a brand new pair.

I would also be worried with such an event as to why the fuse didn't blow?

Hi,

A call to Quad if they are open, Rob Flain is the person to sort it all out.

I have the Quad II Classics and I picked mine up from the dealer, I know of some alarming issues with items being delivered and the box the two Quad II's come in is very heavy so possibly dropped? Would maybe have landed on it's base rather than on an edge so no marks on the box, but it could have unseated something inside.

I am assuming from the OP's initial post they were delivered, but I maybe wrong.

Hope all goes well with the issue and you get things sorted soon.

Cheers

John

advertisement

Back