advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, it seems another deal has been struck, this time with Singapore and every deal counts. It’s looking like a majority of nations are happy to continue trading with the UK on the terms already in place through EU membership and the only refusal is the EU bloc. I guess that tells the true story of what is going on.

Brexit: UK and Singapore sign free trade agreement

Source : BBC

Purveyors of British cheese will be jumping for joy at yet another chance to sell their wares to a lactose intolerant nation.

Last edited:
Remarkable unquestioning advocacy of Tory Brexit. I’m waiting for January and empty supermarket shelves, industrial chaos and higher prices. It’ll be “we was eating too much anyway/ those Chinese blood pressure tablets are just as good/Airbus, Nissan and Honda can bugger off anyway and that Land Rover they’re building in France isn’t a proper Land Rover. We’re better than any of the rest of them”.

I know we aren’t Singapore...

As I said, every deal counts and hopefully Singapore is just another one of many, they add up. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the UK agrees trade deals on current terms with everyone bar the EU. Sends a message, imo.

By the way, 40 years of a trade relationship with the EU really should make a deal possible though it’s becoming increasingly clear the EU will not agree anything without the UK conceding on what seem to be unrealistic demands.

I’m not interested in Liz Truss or whatever you think she hasn’t lied about this time.
We will not get the benefits of the single market if we don't meet its obligations.

There will be other trade deals but these will be poor compensation because the countries concerned have smaller economies than the EU and/or are further away.

It's that simple.

Reactions: PsB
We will not get the benefits of the single market if we don't meet its obligations.

There will be other trade deals but these will be poor compensation because the countries concerned have smaller economies than the EU and/or are further away.

It's that simple.
Not to mention that the trade deals we're 'winning' seem merely replicate the deals we already had via our EU membership, so it's not like at one bound we have become free of the EU constraints that prevented us trading with those countries, now is it?

I know we aren’t Singapore...

As I said, every deal counts and hopefully Singapore is just another one of many, they add up. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the UK agrees trade deals on current terms with everyone bar the EU. Sends a message, imo.

By the way, 40 years of a trade relationship with the EU really should make a deal possible though it’s becoming increasingly clear the EU will not agree anything without the UK conceding on what seem to be unrealistic demands.

I’m not interested in Liz Truss or whatever you think she hasn’t lied about this time.

I think that a deal is needed with one of the big blocks: USA, China or the EU. That is substantial. I guess - I'm no expert here - that the differences between US of A and China are much bigger than the differences with the EU.

With the added cost of this monumental folly & debt, debt trillions of glorious debt. Brexiteers pimping mediocre trade deals like Japan* & Singapore, hailing it as Brexit somehow, magically, finally working “but look how much we saved” (after trashing everything to get what we could have had under the same terms anyway).

*If you go beyond hype & dig into the numbers, its really not that great either. (Fullfact)

Not to mention that the trade deals we're 'winning' seem merely replicate the deals we already had via our EU membership, so it's not like at one bound we have become free of the EU constraints that prevented us trading with those countries, now is it?
You wonder how Farage, the Tories and the DUP are going to fashion a silk purse out of this sow’s ear. They’re going to need all the help they can get from Aidan Barclay, Dacre and Murdoch. I imagine it’ll be a call to patriotism, crush the enemies internal and external and handy money saving tips/ war time recipes. In fact they’ll portray it as war.

You wonder how Farage, the Tories and the DUP are going to fashion a silk purse out of this sow’s ear. They’re going to need a,l the help they can get from Aidan Barclay, Dacre and Murdoch. I imagine it’ll be a call to patriotism, crush the enemies internal and external and handy money saving tips/ war time recipes. In fact they’ll portray it as war,

We are where we are entirely due to the relative weighting of racism, xenophobia and English exceptionalism vs. logical analysis. I can’t see that changing, especially without any real political opposition in England.

Weren't the Brexiteers shouting about undercutting the EU when all those pesky worker safeguards are scrapped ?
Hardly surprising then that the EU heard them and are insisting on 'a level playing field' or no playing field.

The EC President today: “Our negotiators are still working. And we will take a decision on Sunday”.

Sunday is when Johnson finds out if his application to have a special relationship with EU is successful or not.

Weren't the Brexiteers shouting about undercutting the EU when all those pesky worker safeguards are scrapped ?
Hardly surprising then that the EU heard them and are insisting on 'a level playing field' or no playing field.
They actually threatened to turn Britain into a Singapore off the coast of Europe with total deregulation, withdrawal of security cooperation and dirty tricks/ undercutting and full on competition if they didn’t get what they wanted and later they come back asking for a bed for the night forgetting they defecated in it last time.

Too busy, I’m still working on finalising my cat litter trebuchet design for the first phase of the upcoming gammon riots.

Could I have a copy of the plans please? I live in a town house, so my top floor windows would be an excellent vantage point. I’ll get some extra cat food in, so Merlin can make sure I have plenty of ammunition.

I think that a deal is needed with one of the big blocks: USA, China or the EU. That is substantial. I guess - I'm no expert here - that the differences between US of A and China are much bigger than the differences with the EU.
I forget the exact figures but most of the modelling indicates that even a trade deal with the USA will be poor compensation for increasing the cost of trade with the EU: it might recoup around 10% of the loss, IIRC.

They actually threatened to turn Britain into a Singapore off the coast of Europe with total deregulation, withdrawal of security cooperation and dirty tricks/ undercutting and full on competition if they didn’t get what they wanted and later they come back asking for a bed for the night forgetting they defecated in it last time.

Brexiteers have a tenuous relationship with reality.
Singapore GDP per capita is significantly higher than the UK. It overtook the UK in 2010.
On Wikipedia the UK is 21st or 23rd or 24th. If Brexit gets us far enough down the table there may be a chance of a boom in sweat shop exports.

You have no clue then. :D

Very simple. Even you can follow it Brian.

Political pressure for independence will build. The UK economy will worsen dramatically post-Brexit. Unemployment, civil unrest, poverty and destitution will increase and the Tories will start to worry about their election chances.

As Scotland is painted as a financial liability they will see their chances to cut costs.
More importantly without Scottish MPs the Tories are unlikely to lose a Westminster election ever again. The Tories will be quite happy to sacrifice their “precious” union for long term political power. Jobs a good ‘un and an end to “vassalage”.

Sadly Labour and the non-Tory parts of England will be ****ed but rural Tory voting England won’t care.

Could I have a copy of the plans please? I live in a town house, so my top floor windows would be an excellent vantage point. I’ll get some extra cat food in, so Merlin can make sure I have plenty of ammunition.

Sounds a perfect location. I just need to trademark the brandname ‘Trebushit’....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back