advertisement

macOS Big Sur

Just tried to do this on a 13 inch retina MacBook pro mid 2014. It says 23.4 GB storage remaining but the message says 'not enough free space and 11.35 GB required'. Is there an easy way to sort this? Tried dumping a load of stuff and created about 10GB but still no luck.

I had a similar problem, using my 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro. I opted to offload everything via Time Machine (which I normally never bother with), in order to do a clean install, and hours later, I had Big Sur installed off a USB drive and working. At first my computer was overheating, but strangely it's behaving well now, no problems at all. My wife has an identical machine, but I told her she might want to hold off for a while.

Managed to get my 2017 MacBook Air happy about the dual booting, and now can use either Catalina or BS. The Office 365 suite was easy although Outlook was more of a headache, but having finally got both instances working, not convinced I'll go back to Mail, especially since the latest "upgrade". Also loaded it on my phone, by accident almost, just to see.

The other thing where BS shines really is its interface. Catalina wasn't an upgrade in this respect, but BS really is, looks better, is easier to use and, as has been mentioned, comes with a Safari that leaves Firefox wanting.

Have you managed to download BS? If so do you have a 16GB or larger USB stick or disk drive? If you do I can tell you how to build a restore USB and then you can delete BS off your internal storage and install from the USB drive.

Cheers,

DV
Thank-you DV much appreciated. I'm in no rush so will give it a couple of weeks then try again. If it doesn't work then Paul the IT guy says he will gain remote access and do it for me.

Thank-you DV much appreciated. I'm in no rush so will give it a couple of weeks then try again. If it doesn't work then Paul the IT guy says he will gain remote access and do it for me.
You did ask "Is there an easy way to sort this?" and the answer is yes. Well at least I think its easy.

Cheers,

DV

You did ask "Is there an easy way to sort this?" and the answer is yes. Well at least I think its easy.

Cheers,

DV

Yes I get that and thanks again. I think flying a paraglider is easy, mind you give me a Death Star and I just wouldn't know where to start!

Yes I get that and thanks again. I think flying a paraglider is easy, mind you give me a Death Star and I just wouldn't know where to start!

He went to the same school as my youngest!

Cheers,

DV

Last edited:
Big Surly leapfrogged Catalina on my formerly Mojave Hackintosh. Looks tres iPadOS-eque. AppleACPIEC needed a slap about Catalina style because of litter left over from migrating out of clover to OpenCore but as long as the base installer code doesn’t change too much for when its finally stable to run and supported by all my software vendors, the prognosis for an upgrade over a clean install is good.

Upgraded to Big Sur 2 days ago on my MacBook Pro early 2015 but made in 2016 and no problems at all. Took about 40 minutes to download and instalI,
I guess it was worthwhile although it doesn't seem too different.

Just wanted to let anyone know if they have a similar model as mine and the anti glare coating is coming off the screen Apple will replace the screen for free. This takes a few days at the moment but they replace the whole lid as well as the screen. I took mine to Apple in La Canada in Marbella and they took it without question even though I bought it when I lived in the UK. They told me they will fix any MacBook as long as it is under 4 years old as it is a known fault, the delimitation of the anti glare coating is caused by the oils in the skin getting on the keys and track pad and evaporating when the lid is closed after a session of use and this strips the coating off the screen.

Sorry for going off topic but it might help someone get a free new screen.

Well, that was painless. So much for my strategy of bricking my 2020 i5 MBA and getting an M1 replacement under warranty.

2013 Mac Pro feels quicker with BigSur. Carbon Copy Cloner working fine after its latest update.

As a side note it likes to cache 22GB of RAM (64GB available) -- Can't help but feel 32GB should be an option for the new MacBook Pros.

Music app still likes to split albums up.

Had my first issue with Big Sur today. Tried setting up my Wacom tablet to do some photo editing, and the new gatekeeper software doesn’t like it, irrespective of the latest driver being installed. Apparently it’s a known issue and there’s a multi-step reinstallation process which I’ll try later today or tomorrow.
Otherwise, all good so far.

Sorry for going off topic but it might help someone get a free new screen.

bob, Thank-You. I noticed the coating was failing on my 2015 MacBook today. Been onto Apple who have confirmed it's covered under the replacement program.

Simon.

advertisement

Back