advertisement

macOS Big Sur

Carlton

pfm Member
I bit the bullet last night and upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. The download and install was a nightmare and for a time I thought I'd lost everything. I encountered two particular issues, a hang at 'less then one minute' at install completion and another at the 'optimising' stage. The only way to get through these processes was to power off and on again, which I really didn't want to do, but seemed to have little choice. After about three hours it was fully installed and running without any further snags. Was it worth the effort, definitely yes! Generally faster, especially Safari and an overall cleaner look resembling iPhone/iPad.

Doing it now, the screen tells me 7 hours for the download.

The power on/power off thing seems to be a property of some of the portables - had it on my Macbook for earlier upgrades.

I installed BigSur yesterday on a 2015 MacBook Pro and although at 12 gig it was a large download and install I didn’t come across any issues. The control panel is a nice touch and I like the new cleaner look

I installed BigSur yesterday on a 2015 MacBook Pro and although at 12 gig it was a large download and install I didn’t come across any issues. The control panel is a nice touch and I like the new cleaner look

I like the cleaner look too, not much else to report on or get excited about IMO. It's likely the last OS update for my 2013 Mac Pro so I hope it proves to be good.

Still on 10.3. Works fine with all my machines and software, and has everything that I need including iTunes.

Tried it like it but unfortunately it throws a hissy fit with VMware.
Managed to get the upgrade Fusion 12 installed but left with a blank screen so rolled back using Time machine .
Will have to speak with one of VMware bods later. (They have really been helpful in the past)
Like others this will be the last upgrades with my 2014 iMac.

I'd wait. I have an idea what the problem is, but will leave it to Apple to comment. Here's my response to them:

"Says there isn't enough disk space (20GB available)and refuses to install despite saying it needs only 12GB.

Also, after boot I have a user password installed, which has always worked with all other upgrades. Unless I enter it first, your installation programme thinks it can't connect to the internet.

I'm using an external drive as internal storage was getting low. Big Sur seems happy to install on the external drive, but I do not want that, especially as, according to the Big Sur screen, I have plenty of space on the internal drive.

Your thoughts welcome."

Loaded very easily on my 2015 MB Air without a hitch and seems very happy. No problems expected.

I used the various beta versions before the final release and everything went smoothly, with the bonus of only 4 Gb for the final release!
It is a well honed OS.

One hour before Apple call - but have moved date. - see below :)

Guessing it's to do with my external overflow drive, where BS is happy to go.

Last edited:
May not have to be - trying the bright idea I had earlier today. Will keep a world breathless with anticipation posted ....

Avole the update will need to swap loads of files around doubling up for a while so it might settle on 12 gigs but probably wants 30 to do the swap. There must be stuff on your drive you can delete, downloads folder?

I’m still using Catalina’s predecessor, is the consensus that Big Sur is a worthwhile upgrade? I’m using a 2013 Mac Pro (trash can model), don’t use iTunes, and don’t think I’ve got any legacy software. Might give it a whirl one evening.

Loaded it on Friday - no issues. Set it going and left my MacBook Pro to get on with it. Came back a couple of hours later and it was ready for the final bit (Technical term!).

If you use Carbon Copy Cloner which I do, you may wish to wait.

"Carbon Copy Cloner is a popular software that lets Mac users easily back up entire disks and partitions on macOS. As macOS Big Sur is about to be released to the public, the developers behind Carbon Copy Cloner have now alerted their users about potential compatibility issues with the latest version of Apple’s operating system.

With CCC, users can create advanced backups of a Mac hard drive while still keeping it functional and bootable, which is great to ensure you’ll never lose your data. However, macOS Big Sur brings fundamental changes to the way the Mac manages its volumes, and this impacts software like the Carbon Copy Cloner."

https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/car...ers-about-macos-big-sur-compatibility-issues/

I've been testing it on a 2013 mac Pro. Not a huge fan of the interface yet.
I'll put money on Avid not providing support until at least Summer next year ;)

advertisement

Back