advertisement

macOS Big Sur

LOL, just got an email from Avid. Apparently Catalina users can now import mov, mp4, m4v and m4a files easily again. Everything else is 'coming soon' and don't even think of having an M1 processor yet.

Avole the update will need to swap loads of files around doubling up for a while so it might settle on 12 gigs but probably wants 30 to do the swap. There must be stuff on your drive you can delete, downloads folder?
Hi Garyi, great minds think alike! Yup, did that this morning. I mean, I can live without Big Sur, but it’s the challenge that drives me.

I think you are right about the real size of the upgrade, but have removed all peripherals, including my overflow drives, in the hope Apple will have done their homework properly and will fit the install to my newly slimmed down Mac. Now in the process of re- downloading the update for that reason.

Not overly optimistic, by the way. Despite releasing 12gb plus moving my 20gb photo library to a now disconnected drive, finder still thinks I have only 18gb available - am hoping it has included the 12gb of BS in that figure. We will see, in about an hour or 5.

I was surprised how easy it was to install 11.0.1 in a VM compared to that pig Crapalina.

I recommend a) first making a Time Machine backup and b) use Diskutil in Recovery Mode to erase your disk as Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Scheme: GUID Partiition Map. In order to do this you'll need to first download Big Sur and then build a recovery disk or USB stick. The installation process for Big Sur will automatically reconfigure the disk to APFS. All good fun!

Erasing the disk gets rid of Crapalina and the installation took around 25 min on a 40GB virtual hard drive. Space used after clean installation 18.3GB and the disk now has 5 volumes! I like the little house on the active data section.

Cheers,

DV

I bit the bullet last night and upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. The download and install was a nightmare and for a time I thought I'd lost everything. I encountered two particular issues, a hang at 'less then one minute' at install completion and another at the 'optimising' stage. The only way to get through these processes was to power off and on again, which I really didn't want to do, but seemed to have little choice. After about three hours it was fully installed and running without any further snags. Was it worth the effort, definitely yes! Generally faster, especially Safari and an overall cleaner look resembling iPhone/iPad.

Same installation for me. Hanging, had to reboot but it then installed OK.
I have a problem with sleep - the laptop seems reluctant to do so.
Also the computer hangs during start-up with the thunderbolt monitor attached. I have to unplug it, it boots up, then plug back in again.
Otherwise it works fine and is quite pretty.

I was surprised how easy it was to install 11.0.1 in a VM compared to that pig Crapalina.

I recommend a) first making a Time Machine backup and b) use Diskutil in Recovery Mode to erase your disk as Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Scheme: GUID Partiition Map. In order to do this you'll need to first download Big Sur and then build a recovery disk or USB stick. The installation process for Big Sur will automatically reconfigure the disk to APFS. All good fun!

Erasing the disk gets rid of Crapalina and the installation took around 25 min on a 40GB virtual hard drive. Space used after clean installation 18.3GB and the disk now has 5 volumes! I like the little house on the active data section.

Cheers,

DV

Hi DV.

Have you had any problems with external media discs yet? I know like me you had some Sandisk memory card damaged by Catalina.

Cheers, Rack.

A friend is coming to the end of his tether with Catalina. He has just spent thousands on an 'upgraded' machine that is loads faster but doesnt work.

Its hard not to chuckle as a Windows user.

Mid-2014 MacBook Pro here, no issues at all, so far.

As a Mac user I chuckle every single time someone at work has to ask about their PC machine. Especially as they take every opportunity to rip the piss out of me for having a Mac.

This is the OS release where my mid-2012 MBP jumps off. Catalina is the last one it will run, but I’ve kept it at Mohave, and likely will do for the rest of its life. Catalina just wasn’t a good one from what I can see.

PS I mentioned on the other thread Macrumours are reporting some are finding Big Sur bricks their older computers, so approach with caution.

Hi DV.

Have you had any problems with external media discs yet? I know like me you had some Sandisk memory card damaged by Catalina.

Cheers, Rack.
Apologies if somehow I mislead you. I did indeed screw up (deaded) my pricey high-speed Samsung USB stick but that was done in Windows by accidentally launching a WD utility as I brushed my hand across the trackpad and immediately the Windows-to-Go froze and the Samsung was deaded. I have kept the stick as I believe that if I had the right insider information I'd be able to reprogram it and recover. I have since deleted that utility!

I have just used Big Sur to create a bootable installation USB stick without any problems. I have tested it with a 2014 MBA and it boots fine. If I can find a spare I might also try on SD card as well.

Cheers,

DV

A friend is coming to the end of his tether with Catalina. He has just spent thousands on an 'upgraded' machine that is loads faster but doesnt work.

Its hard not to chuckle as a Windows user.
Can you find out more about the problem. I'd like to help if I can.

Cheers,

DV

Mid-2014 MacBook Pro here, no issues at all, so far.

As a Mac user I chuckle every single time someone at work has to ask about their PC machine. Especially as they take every opportunity to rip the piss out of me for having a Mac.
Your Mac is a PC. A sexy looking one with standard innards that is way overpriced. It will run both macOS and Windows (and Linux). Just a few days ago I booted both a 2014 MBA and a 2010 Mac Mini with the latest version of Windows 10 Enterprise. I have had a few Windows 10 machines come to me because they don't boot and often locked in an attempted auto repair loop. I believe the problem is related to fast boot and I disable that during repair.

Cheers,

DV

Can I just say the 1 minute remaining was an issue all through the testing. It can take like 40 minutes.

Remember folks, it just works.

Your Mac is a PC. A sexy looking one with standard innards that is way overpriced. It will run both macOS and Windows (and Linux). Just a few days ago I booted both a 2014 MBA and a 2010 Mac Mini with the latest version of Windows 10 Enterprise. I have had a few Windows 10 machines come to me because they don't boot and often locked in an attempted auto repair loop. I believe the problem is related to fast boot and I disable that during repair.

Cheers,

DV
But...

Early feedback - as expected, I have a dual-booting Mac. Without the external drive, I see my normal Catalina opening screen. With it, I see - you guessed it, BS :) Not checked all the programmes, but probably won't bother, since I only use the expansion drive at home and, to be honest, I've wasted too much time on an exercise which had more to do with a misplaced pride than anything else.

I changed to Mac - was in UNIX/Windows support, and I remember quite a few of the engineers had macs at home because they were bomb proof. Indifferent now, my beef with Apple has more to do with cost than anything else. Mind you, the iPad remains my goto tablet. Tried several others, and they're not even close.

Apple have the tablet market locked down for sure. As far as desktop devices go, they are no where to be seen. I like their laptops for use but on desktop windows all of the way for me nower days.

Gaz can you pm me with your phone numbers please. Either you are trying to avoid Covid or you are snowed under with work!!!! Cheers.

advertisement

Back