advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

Oh my word!
They have that effect on first time listeners. When I first demoed the original E-IX to a few friends, they were looking around the room for a sub-woofer.

Another party trick I pull is to lead blind-folded listeners into the room and ask them to guess the physical size of the loudspeakers. They invariably believe they are listening to something bigger than the E-IXs.

I've got some matching birch ply stands I made somewhere I could flog. I made them for the WAM show one year. They need sanding and oiling though. They are quite high as I made them for people sitting in conference chairs but I can cut to wherever height needed.

I'll dig them out and get a photo.

You guys are making me jealous! I got as far as assembling the crossovers, and then was tasked with re-plumbing the utility and fitting kitchen units. Still not finished.

Onwards and upwards. Great to see the photos of how others are getting on.

Progress today:

1st coat of Danish Oil:
Whats-App-Image-2020-11-13-at-19-33-03.jpg

Rebate holes for drivers:
Whats-App-Image-2020-11-13-at-23-49-03.jpg

Fitting trial:
Whats-App-Image-2020-11-13-at-23-06-48.jpg

Tomorrow I will cut chamfer at the back of driver hole. Still waiting for leather to arrive for front baffle.

That said, I’m struggling to find someone to make some Epos ES 11 stand copies....
Just look up a local iron works shop. I'm in London Canada (pop 400K), and there are at least 10 here. I had one make me some legs for a live edge walnut bench that I made, and it was quick and inexpensive. They may be able to paint them for you, or you could find someone to powder coat them.

Just look up a local iron works shop. I'm in London Canada (pop 400K), and there are at least 10 here. I had one make me some legs for a live edge walnut bench that I made, and it was quick and inexpensive. They may be able to paint them for you, or you could find someone to powder coat them.

Thanks Mike. Should be easy here, but all I’ve found so far is suppliers of girders and sheet metal folders! Might be stable, but not sure it’ll go with the decor:). Social media is my next focus.

When fabricating a pair of custom stands, I recommend that you set the height such that the tweeter is at, or slightly above, ear level when seated on your favourite sofa.

After 4 coats of Danish oil: Plan to put more layer and lot2 of sanding, because still a lot of wood grain valley still not flat.
Whats-App-Image-2020-11-15-at-17-37-28.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-15-at-18-27-57.jpg

Just been quoted over £400 by a certain custom speaker stands company for a simple pair of stands to be made slightly larger!

Now in contact with a blacksmith that usually makes railings....

Just been quoted over £400 by a certain custom speaker stands company for a simple pair of stands to be made slightly larger!

Now in contact with a blacksmith that usually makes railings....
Yeah, that's silly money. You'll get perfectly good results from the blacksmith, and I'm guessing it will cost you less than a quarter of that.

advertisement

Back