advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

I used ExpressPCB Plus - they cripple it so only they can fab the PCB's however they do allow printing to create you own masks or prints onto transfer paper. I have used their fab service for small boards and they were excellent and reasonable cost and delivery, however for these larger PCB's for the Ergo, I used a combo of transfer film (didn't work too well), Sharpie marker and tape, since the cost from them was fairly high for boards that size.

I have been playing with crossover PCB layouts using EasyEDA - this hooks up to JLCPCB for supplying the PCBs themselves, but you can export gerbers ( as well as PDFs etc of the artwork etc), so could send them to any supplier.

I'm thinking buying some new speakers to replace my ATC floor standers as I maybe moving house and they would be to big for the room
I was thinking of going with some ProAC 10's but then came across these Ergo IX on line and have to say they do look very interesting

How do they sound as I cant find any reviews anywhere regarding them and a silly question but how heavy are they as I'd like to mount them to a wall

I'm thinking buying some new speakers to replace my ATC floor standers as I maybe moving house and they would be to big for the room
I was thinking of going with some ProAC 10's but then came across these Ergo IX on line and have to say they do look very interesting

How do they sound as I cant find any reviews anywhere regarding them and a silly question but how heavy are they as I'd like to mount them to a wall

I'll try to weigh mine later, but it will depend on what you use to make the cabinets (you do know these are a kit you make yourself - eghttps://www.kjfaudio.com/product/ergo-ix/#pair-of-ergo-ix-cabinets).

I'm no good at describing sound, but I came from some very decent LS3/5A (refurb cabinets with the Stirling speaker kit) driven by a Linn LK100 which I thought were going to be my last speakers. The Ergos surprised me with a wider soundstage, better separation of instruments and bass (much more and tighter bass). Others with experience of more and different speakers will be along I suspect

I'll try to weigh mine later, but it will depend on what you use to make the cabinets (you do know these are a kit you make yourself - eghttps://www.kjfaudio.com/product/ergo-ix/#pair-of-ergo-ix-cabinets).

I'm no good at describing sound, but I came from some very decent LS3/5A (refurb cabinets with the Stirling speaker kit) driven by a Linn LK100 which I thought were going to be my last speakers. The Ergos surprised me with a wider soundstage, better separation of instruments and bass (much more and tighter bass). Others with experience of more and different speakers will be along I suspect

Thanks chap I was planing on buying there full kit so the birch ply cabinets and mounting them on a shelf as the wife doesn't like stands but I'm working on it :)

After a bit of faffing about I have.......6.7kg per speaker!

Mine also 6.7kg
48PhL87

Just would like to update, I am ill lately, so no progress. Now I am back, so I give a proper listen to the Ergos.

I am very happy to report that this speaker is really magic, a lot of bottom end and very detail top end. Midrange is still improving day by day but as of now, it already very2 good. It will permanently replace my longtime Mission 751F in my bedroom system. Thanks James for terrific design and thanks Stefan for supplying the parts and make the build possible.

I finally found some time to start my assembly and glueing, and it looks like it will be nicely straightforward. Only minor issue is a missing long spacer stick (only three in my package). I think I'll just cut one long one in half, so each speaker will have half on one long side. They're only there to hold the MDF forward, so that should be fine.

I also noticed that one of my six tweeter screws was an M5 rather than M4. I have some black M4x20 screws here, although they're countersunk rather than having the chunky heads. I suppose I could use them instead of the included screws, but I may break down and order some. :)

I'm considering using edge banding trim on the front, to hide the plies. We'll see how it looks once it's glued up.

Then I'll start sanding, in preparation for the Danish oil. So exciting!

Enjoy the build, Mike. The journey getting to your destination is almost as much fun. Shame you had missing bits in your package. You don't want to use countersunk bolts on the tweeter. Give in and get some flat-seating ones instead.

Enjoy the build, Mike. The journey getting to your destination is almost as much fun. Shame you had missing bits in your package. You don't want to use countersunk bolts on the tweeter. Give in and get some flat-seating ones instead.
Yeah, I agree about the bolts. I checked the fit of the countersunk heads that I have here, and wasn't pleased. I've already ordered the right ones, as it never hurts to have extra hardware floating about. :D

Sorry missed this, I don't swing by as much as I'd like, I can send some bolts out. Sometimes the large boxes of bolts I order have the odd bolt in that is the wrong size. It sounds like you are all sorted this time but in the future If I don't answer on a thread, just drop me an email. These sort of things happen from time to time and I'll always sort it.

Stefan

advertisement

Back