advertisement

Naim CDX2 Opinions?

I'm glad that someone else agrees with me about the Linn Majik. I recently went to New Audio Frontiers in Loughborough with my Linn to hear it in conjunction with Densen amps and the Piega TS5 speakers that I've just bought, and Derek the dealer there was very impressed with the Majik and rated it on a par with the Densen B400XS for musical communication. How refreshingly honest from a dealer who doesn't stock what you own!

He did, rightfully state that he'd need to hear the two players side-by-side before forming a definitive judgement but suggested that perhaps the Linn was perhaps a little "drier" than the Densen player and adding words to the effect that this wasn't a bad thing just that the differences, as I infered were merely issues of of presentation. This I find comforting in a way because it means I can climb the (rather steep) Densen amplifier upgrade path that will enble my new speakers to really sing in a way that is musical rather than hi-fi.

I've reason to believe that Sony can deliver the goods re. musicality from its CD players in the ES range.

This discussion is bizarre. Vinyl is great but, sadly, no longer seriously available. It's time to move on. My journey thru CDi -> cds2->cds3 etc. has been fascinating and every bit value for money. It's all about enjoying music.

I think that if you are a contemporary music buyer and listener you simply have to embrace CD players as your primary source at least. Whilst vinyl can be ultimately more satisfying to those with an already established record collection, there are CD players out there that can convey the musical message rather succinctly provided you choose your player with care and listening to the bloody things - both in the dealer dem room and at home before you commit yourself. CD when done right can be ultimately even more satisfying than vinyl given its potential for a bigger dynamic range as well as the fact that it will play the music collection you own and can readily expand upon.

So far I would say the Majik+Baldur has a more forward presentation (which my wife likes) and vocals are portayed more sympathetically versus CDX2+std i/c harshness and occasional shout. On the other hand the CDX2+standard i/c gives more weight and richness to the music while the Majik+Baldur is brighter/lighter.

With the Linn you can explore various mains cable and interconnect options that still leave you with change compared to the Naim player.

The upper bass/lower mid of the Linn can seem a bit reticent compared to the Naim unless you are prepared to spend about £600 on interconnects/ mains lead. I use a Music Works Recoil lead (£200) and a Siltech SQ28 i/c (£400) with my Linn Majik and these pretty well sort out the tonal balance issues as well as actually allowing more info through rather than just acting as tone controls.

Although I've not heard their latest offerings, I'm not a fan of Nordost having found their wares to be detail-meisters at the expense of coherence and even-handedness that should give you musical enjoyment over high-fidelity prowess.

Hi John. I've had had several CD players in recent years. These included a Sony 555ES, which was a very good player with superb build quality, but left me feeling that I could do a bit better sonically. Next I tried an Arcam DV29, which again was a very good & versatile machine, playing not only CD but upscaled video as well. ( The manual is also VERY easy to understand, as it was almost certainly written by someone who speaks English as their first language.) I've always fancied a Wadia, after reading about how good they were, so did a dem of Wadia 302 vs Ayre. The wadia was a very impressive player, producing bass like no other I've heard & was also very well engineered. I saw one ex-dem for £3000 so took the plunge. After living with it for a while, there were certain things that I found annoying ie the digital volume control, which works by discarding bits of information to reduce the vol. & a bit of audiophile paranoia crept in. This also reverts to zero every time you power it off. In practice, you have to keep the CD vol. at max & rely on your pre amp to set the level. My player also had remote control software issues, ie IT decided when it would work & when it wouldn't. Even when it would work, you had to be quite near to the machine & directly in front of it. Eventually I've ended up with a CDX2 which I'm using without PSU at the moment. It is the best player I've heard by a long way. Wadia bass control & more. I can honestly say that there's nothing I don't like about the CDX2, it sounds fantastic within the context of my system. (Bryston / Wilson Benesch) If you like how it sounds in your system, my advice is to go for it.

The CDS3 on the other hand is perfectly acceptable, though has never been raced directly against what I own Which is a TAG DVD32R + Benchmark DAC (used to have a Chord DAC64)

Could you elaborate a bit more ref your Benchmark DAC1 please? How did it differ to the CHORD DAC64?

I have an ARCAM DV29 which I use for CD playback and am extremely impressed with. I am wondering if connecting a DAC would improve it?

The only experience I have with DACs was when I bought a used NAIM CDi in 1997 and compared it with a LINN two box player. I considered the CDi a better sounding player at the time - this is a long time ago now though.

This discussion is bizarre. Vinyl is great but, sadly, no longer seriously available. It's time to move on. My journey thru CDi -> cds2->cds3 etc. has been fascinating and every bit value for money. It's all about enjoying music.

Bunkum. I principally buy brand new vinyl - several slabs a week. Practically everything I'm interested in listening to is readily available on vinyl, often issued on vinyl as the 'first release' with CD to follow or at least given equal billing. Pressing quality is way-up compared to te late 80s/early 90s, with many releases coming on 180g/vigin vinyl as standard. CD is something I accomodate - I have about 2000 of them but rarely buy them new unless there is no altenative. I have yet to find a CD player that does alow me to just enjoy the music - hence this thread!

I used to use a CDX2 - hated it! Far too brash. Moved on to Densen 400XS - far superior and more vinyl sounding.Now using Resolution Audio Opus 21.The best CD player I have found at the price point.Very smooth and detailed - more so than even the Densen.Try it!

Don't do anything until you have heard a Rega Saturn, I have heard one through a pair of active Genelec monitors, that really take no prisoners and it was excellent. The top end in particular is the best I have heard from CD.

Since the early nineties I have stuck to a Micromega Solo because nothing really comprehensively beat it all round. The Saturn does and much to my surprise I am now contemplating spending serious money on a silver beer mat spinner.

I'm talking about when you've reached a certain minimum level. I'll explain.

Do you notice that most folks tend to be satisfied with whatever cd player they have around and only replace them when they break? Only people who "worry" about the sound that they are hearing tend to go through upgrade cycles. BTW, I am NOT criticizing those who upgrade.

I'm talking about the key to satisfaction and enjoyment.

So many of the players mentioned on this thread are excellent. Including the CDX2. I cannot understand why anyone would not be satisfied with one. Actually, I can, and it has nothing to do with the performance of the player, in absolute terms. It has EVERYTHING to do with the owners expectation. Do a google search on "Kano Model". This Japanese writer created a very useful model for describing customer satisfaction and correlating it to expecation. If performance matches expectation, the customer is satisfied. If performance exceeds expectation, the customer is delighted--if it is lower than expectation, the customer is dissatisfied. Sounds simple, doesn't it.

I think the key to enjoying any of these players is to find one that meets your expectations, then set it and Forget IT. You can live with almost anything for a long, long time if you just stop worrying about it. Stop auditioning cd players! Buy tons of new music!

Getting back to the cdx2, I think it is brilliant. I would love to have one.

Sign me,
Rambling a bit this morning,
Markus

If performance matches expectation, the customer is satisfied. If performance exceeds expectation, the customer is delighted--if it is lower than expectation, the customer is dissatisfied. Sounds simple, doesn't it.

Yes & it really is that simple.

I think the key to enjoying any of these players is to find one that meets your expectations, then set it and Forget IT. You can live with almost anything for a long, long time if you just stop worrying about it.

Also perfectly true, but "worrying about it" is sadly par for the course for a significant proportion of hi-fi forums users.

Been there, got the t-shirt, moved on ..... ;)

I'm talking about when you've reached a certain minimum level. I'll explain.

Do you notice that most folks tend to be satisfied with whatever cd player they have around and only replace them when they break? Only people who "worry" about the sound that they are hearing tend to go through upgrade cycles. BTW, I am NOT criticizing those who upgrade.

I'm talking about the key to satisfaction and enjoyment.

So many of the players mentioned on this thread are excellent. Including the CDX2. I cannot understand why anyone would not be satisfied with one. Actually, I can, and it has nothing to do with the performance of the player, in absolute terms. It has EVERYTHING to do with the owners expectation. Do a google search on "Kano Model". This Japanese writer created a very useful model for describing customer satisfaction and correlating it to expecation. If performance matches expectation, the customer is satisfied. If performance exceeds expectation, the customer is delighted--if it is lower than expectation, the customer is dissatisfied. Sounds simple, doesn't it.

I think the key to enjoying any of these players is to find one that meets your expectations, then set it and Forget IT. You can live with almost anything for a long, long time if you just stop worrying about it. Stop auditioning cd players! Buy tons of new music!

Getting back to the cdx2, I think it is brilliant. I would love to have one.

Sign me,
Rambling a bit this morning,
Markus

Yeah - that relevant all right. I studied experimental consumer psychology as a postgraduate - manipulation (up AND down) of expectation is something I'm pretty familiar with. Alas in this case I have an objective comparison: the enjoyment I get from music played on my turntable!! I'd have thought that a Cyrus CD8/PSXR ought to have kept me occupied for a good number of years - I'd previously owned and been happy with other kit by that manufacuturer and it certainly wasn't cheap. But all their talk of 96khz/24 bit dual mono DACs and 'significant' improvements arising from the PSXR really upped what I was expecting. Plus an element of 'top of the range' syndrome (or as Peggy Lee would have it 'is that all there is?'). What I hear isn't so far from my 10yr old mission DAD5 via a 15yr old Meridian 203. Different, but not actually that much better. If I can't get something that is at least in the same ballpark as my vinyl rig, then I may as well give up. If something exists that I can't afford - well that's a different story... I can aim for what I can't afford, but I can't buy what doesn't exist no matter how much I save.

Now. Will a CDX2 satisfy me? That is the question.

John,

I'm sure you know this anyway, but you really need to try one on extended trial in your own home with a Hi-Line. It really does make a big difference. I only listened in the shop - big mistake...

Don't expect much in terms of soundstage, dynamics or detail resolution and you won't be disappointed.

Having bought the CDX2 I could live with it if I have to (assuming I also have a Hi-Line) but my suspicion is that its possible to find an equally or even more acceptable alternative at a lower price.

Given that you enjoy vinyl so much maybe you could buy a (much) cheaper alternative and accept that CD will be a second source? I'm considering that option.

The funny thing with my LP12 is that I don't feel any urge to tweak it or upgrade its sounds fine anyway. With CD I have a constant feeling that the sound isn't right and a consequent urge to fiddle..

best you go listen to one then and stop procrastinating

;)

If only. I'm living in North Wales (nr Bangor) at the moment so not I'm not exactly dealer-rich and although I get over to York fairly regularly (and Sound Organisation stock a pretty wide range of Naim kit), I'd be pretty reluctant to make a decision on a dealer demo. I'm pretty sure no Naim dealer would be able to match my system. This would have to be a speculative, 2nd hand, purchase, then sell it on if I don't like it. One advantage of Naim is that the s/h market is pretty stable!

If demoing was easy, I'd have just gone out and done it right away.

With the Linn you can explore various mains cable and interconnect options that still leave you with change compared to the Naim player.

The upper bass/lower mid of the Linn can seem a bit reticent compared to the Naim unless you are prepared to spend about £600 on interconnects/ mains lead. I use a Music Works Recoil lead (£200) and a Siltech SQ28 i/c (£400) with my Linn Majik and these pretty well sort out the tonal balance issues as well as actually allowing more info through rather than just acting as tone controls.

Although I've not heard their latest offerings, I'm not a fan of Nordost having found their wares to be detail-meisters at the expense of coherence and even-handedness that should give you musical enjoyment over high-fidelity prowess.

Steve,

thanks for the info.

This was my first serious exposure to Nordost cables (i've heard them in demos) and I'm a bit bemused by the experience. As you say, plenty of detail but the overall sound is confused. I've heard that the Baldur is not one of their generally favoured cables and I can't comment on the rest of the range.

I will follow up on Siltech - did you get your cable through RT Services?

Thanks,

PhilP

John,

The funny thing with my LP12 is that I don't feel any urge to tweak it or upgrade its sounds fine anyway. With CD I have a constant feeling that the sound isn't right and a consequent urge to fiddle..

The funnier thing is that a friend of mine with a midrnage LP12 setup swears that his new Talk Thunder 3.1 CD is better in every sense with his current setup Plinius 9200 and Proac SC1...

"The funnier thing is that a friend of mine with a midrnage LP12 setup swears that his new Talk Thunder 3.1 CD is better in every sense with his current setup Plinius 9200 and Proac SC1..."

He should funnily have his LP12 tuned up by a pro.

And then the real fun can start.

Oz

Well there are plenty of CDX2s available s/h at the moment...

What does that tell you?

I got my Siltech interconnects from Audio works in Cheadle in Cheshire - one of the best hi-fi dealers on this planet.

It's a great cdp, especially with a hiline. My cdx2/xps2/hiline satisfies me. I do not intend to go any higher for cd replay. I am a music streaming convert using Squeezebox3/Benchmark Dac1/Chord Chrysalis. This £900 outlay (plus a low spec computer) compares favourably with my £6000 cd front end. With hind sight I would not have spent so much on a cd player.

Keith

advertisement

Back