advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, because the government has never u-turned on any of its lines, has it? You don’t think that policeman was acting off his own initiative, do you? There was a typically sketchy government line about shops only being open to sell essential items, which was back-pedalled after that case.

PS - don't ask the police to 'police' this - its a trading standards or council issue IMV.

Well let’s see, in lockdown 1 any shop that was allowed to be open was allowed to sell anything in its range and cases were driven down to a very low level (that the government then messed up) so the directly comparable evidence doesn’t support your theory.

It’s really not that difficult! See it’s not just you that can be condescending!

The whole point of lockdown is to reduce transmission, the less people are in contact or around each other the quicker the virus dies down. So allowing the shops to sell everything dropped cases to a low level, it will be quicker to get to that point if there is a lockdown plus shops are allowed to sell a limited range of goods, do you understand now?

The whole point of lockdown is to reduce transmission, the less people are in contact or around each other the quicker the virus dies down. So allowing the shops to sell everything dropped cases to a low level, it will be quicker to get to that point if there is a lockdown plus shops are allowed to sell a limited range of goods, do you understand now?

It'll make virtually zero difference as well you know and if one of your chums had posted it you'd have said nothing! Now go away!

It'll make virtually zero difference as well you know and if one of your chums had posted it you'd have said nothing! Now go away!

What do you mean it will make virtually no difference?, if you halve the time people spend in shops you halve the transmission in shops to a first approximation.

What do you mean it will make virtually no difference?, if you halve the time people spend in shops you halve the transmission in shops to a first approximation.
It is the number in the shop at any one time that is important, not the length of time spent in it. Perhaps shoppers should be limited to 30 minutes maximum shopping time?

Yup, because the government has never u-turned on any of its lines, has it? You don’t think that policeman was acting off his own initiative, do you? There was a typically sketchy government line about shops only being open to sell essential items, which was back-pedalled after that case.
The policeman in question was not applying the law which never defined "essential".

Scientific studies (especially a large one conducted in France - link was upthread a few weeks ago) have found that transmission rates in stores if most people are following the guidelines (masks etc.) are virtually zero whereas home, offices, bars, restaurants, schools and universities are a long way from zero. So yes, you're right, half of virtually zero is a bit less than virtually zero... excellent work! :rolleyes: In relative and absolute terms banning the sale of non-essential goods from shops that are open is pedantic bollocks!

It's not about halving the time spent in supermarkets. It's about cutting down on non essential shopping trips like buying christmas decorations or other daft stuff people go out and buy willy-nilly.

So, ‘front line’ workers will get ‘a jab’ before Christmas according to that beacon of balance, the Daily mail.

The Government are also introducing a new law to allow it to to bypass current safety legislation. The first of many I suspect.

Will this be forced on NHS and other staff? If so, how?

Stephen

So they all lose out to Amazon or the other Internet retailer of choice.
A lot of non-essential purchases in supermarkets are opportunistic. Remove the opportunity, people will probably wait, rather than go online for something they were only buying on the spur of the moment.

So, ‘front line’ workers will get ‘a jab’ before Christmas according to that beacon of balance, the Daily mail.

The Government are also introducing a new law to allow it to to bypass current safety legislation. The first of many I suspect.

Stephen
Many NHS staff are already obliged to take the flu jab as part of the terms of their employment.

Stephen

That IS good news!

A lot of non-essential purchases in supermarkets are opportunistic. Remove the opportunity, people will probably wait, rather than go online for something they were only buying on the spur of the moment.

All the retailers I visited in the spring were policing numbers and social distancing in their stores. These included; Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, B&Q, Screwfix. We need to be careful not to overreact here, and make loads of assumptions eg what if my mums kettle breaks. She doesn’t go on her computer without me being there, is trying to remain independent and self-sustaining, and is also H&S aware(mask wearing, keeping distancing, picking an off peak time to go out).

A argument can be made either way, but when I was doing our/my mums shopping on the spring, all I witnessed was good behaviour. I accept it’s not the same everywhere, but deal with those who don’t comply, not those that do.

If you want to reduce contact transmission, then I think we need to be far more creative regarding schools, universities, and the onward transmission from those establishments.

Finally, influencing behaviour by trusting that some elements of society will ‘do the right thing’ is naive. I’ve spent a lifetime dealing with some of those elements. They could not give a toss about the wider picture. I’d also add that support for some of the most vulnerable within these elements would be crucial.

That IS good news!

Which bit? Lowering safety standards or forcing workers to accept a vaccine based on those new lower standards?

Sue: are you sure front line staff have a ‘must take any vaccine ordered by their employers’ clause in their employment?

I really hope we have vaccines soon that can start to mitigate the pandemic’s impact. If these new ‘rapid’ vaccines do work on a corona virus this could mean big changes for healthcare.

But I worry that Johnson will use it as an excuse to proclaim it’ll all be over by Easter and not sort out the other actions needed.

Even with a healthcare worker virus at Christmas we are talking years of lockdowns without them.

Stephen

"Opportunistic" suggests purchased whilst there for something else. So the idea that the move will reduce the temptation for people to leave their house unnecessarily is untrue?

Seems the Welsh FM thinks it needs a rethink.

Which bit? Lowering safety standards or forcing workers to accept a vaccine based on those new lower standards?

Sue: are you sure front line staff have a ‘must take any vaccine ordered by their employers’ clause in their employment?
I can’t speak to the wording in the contract, but my wife is NHS, patient facing, and basically doesn’t get the option to decline the flu vaccine. She’s tried, and got nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back