advertisement

Someone just posted a picture of their breakfast on Facebook

I do neither Facebook nor Instagram. The only times I see a meal shared by anyone else is when my cat does. Normally it's a rat or mouse. The other night it was a neighbour's chicken. It was very much alive and I have no idea how he got it through the cat door.

Yesterday he showed me that he'd had two mice and too much cat food. I don't think it was intentional though.
I'm going to try this I think

5501.jpg
I saw that. It looks easy and tasty and I think I'll try it, too.

I had a full English in a London cafe last year that came with salad but without black pudding. I thought it a bit weird, but then I'm not a hipster.

A beetroot rosti remains the greatest crime against breakfast I have encountered. Horrible soggy thing oozing violet onto my fried egg.

I had a full English in a London cafe last year that came with salad but without black pudding. I thought it a bit weird, but then I'm not a hipster.

Point of order! If there's no black pudding it ain't a full English! :mad:

(even worse if it's been substituted by those hash brown abominations).

Love hash browns. Proper ones though. Most Brits just don’t know what a good American diner hash brown tastes like.

Gimme “Sunday morning Huevos Rancheros without a recipe” validation you whiny little bitches. Or slag it off, that’s validation too.

y5oxcprb

575 kcals (That’s a breakfast platter for two as my daily kcals are 1200-1300. Salsa out of shot). No Jack. Avocado and shredded greens under all that. Super messy food.

That’s refried beans, my bad, sorry I thought it was as common in the UK as Cali. Used to be made with lard, not any more, it’s a vegan staple now. Better for it too. As I am stranded in the U.K. I sort of recreate my Sunday breakfast I have down at a little dyke owned vegetarian cal-mex restaurant just off noe-valley. I miss it. I hope it’s there when I can finally return.

A plate feeds two women, with free cawfee refills. Plus tip. It’s a good cheap Sunday brunch date in The City with a trolley car and walk own to Embarcadero. I miss home.

Lard is too unhealthy in this day and age and vegetarian options are not hipster. You can still make lard refried beans, but it doesn’t taste any different and it doesn’t really serve much of a purpose using lard except make it inedible for vegetarians. But I’m a Cal-Mex only brat.

Soured cream I’d guess.

Soy yoghurt, but you can use pretty much anything as long as it softens the raw onion & chilli in the salsa, Quark is good too.

I just subtract what I would have served in refried beans for beans, same quantity Just a different taste and texture. When you make a sharing platter it’s a good idea to have variation.

I think food pictures of ‘what I am eating’ are very instructive and open me up to all sorts of different experiences. You can never be entirely sure what you’re looking at on a recipe website.

1983. I am in California, first time in the USA, and I am being taken out to a Mexican restaurant by my appointed host/guardian. I could not believe what I was looking at when refried beans turned up on the plate. It is cow pat. Might vary in colour a bit - but still cow pat. I did not like it then (I was just 26yrs old). Over the years I got to really like Mexican stuff, including the refried beans. The lads and (few lasses!) at work had cold burritos with said beans, obtained from a vending machine in the corridor and munched while hunched over their screens (old green text screens in those days, it was a computer company in Sunnyvale Ca.) Alongside the screen was the obligatory jar of green M&Ms.

Rather like Japanese foods - best eat first and then ask about what you have eaten. If you go the other way round, you will not eat it! But the Japanese like soup for breakfast - I never could warm to that one!

advertisement

Back