advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Just received the 2019 vinyl reissue of Matthew Halsall's 'Colour Yes' which was originally released on CD in 2009. Nice and relaxing if modal is your thing.

I like that, just ordered a signed white vinyl copy from her site here.

I did the same but was curious why it cost £4 more to get it signed with such a limited edition. Times are tough I guess...

Great record though - really looking forward to hearing a hard copy.

I'm glad the Nubya Garcia record is getting such a great response. It feels like it's been a long time coming - three years since Nubya's 5ive.

She said in an interview that she signed with Concord because she was impressed with how they'd promoted Esperanza Spalding and she certainly seems to be benefiting from their support. I think the days of seeing her play in the front room of a pub in New Cross are long gone :)

I'm glad the Nubya Garcia record is getting such a great response. It feels like it's been a long time coming - three years since Nubya's 5ive...

I've completely fallen off the Jazz map since not being in Birmingham much and Jez Nelson was given short shrift by the **** controller at Radio 3.

In Gilles i trust...https://www.gillespetersonworldwide.com/

GP-Nubya-1880x1132.jpg

Meditative blues at the start of this reminds me of Acknowledgement, Source covers a lot of ground, exciting to see where the music will go.

Thanks for intro - I've actually added 'SOURCE' to my list for more listening, the angular rhythms there seem to suit her well and could be up my street.

My white copy of Nubya Garcia’s Source turned up today. You actually get an extra signed cover with the signed option, the actual album is shrink-wrapped. Just playing it now, it is really good, a wonderful chilled soul-jazz feel with all manner of other influences floating in and out. It actually has quite a CTI feel to it despite being on Concord. Currently up to side C and I’m liking it a lot.

I would credit this album to 'Nubya Garcia and Joe Arman-Jones' based on the contribution of this keyboardist. Good stuff all round though.

Last edited:
Jo Harrop & Jamie Mccredie - "Weathering the storm"

The track "Guilty", a Randy Newman cover, has been getting played by Jo Whiley and I was instantly grabbed by it, both musically and that even over the FM radio in second system the SQ was most impressive!
Discovering they are a pair of Geordies was even better!

It's all covers, she sings, he plays guitar... think Barney Kessel and Julie London.... (yeah it's not Albert Ayler crazy, doesn't go thump thump, has no synths or drum machine and no ethnic instruments so it must be Dad-Jazz!:rolleyes: I won't be crying a river over that)
Has anyone heard the album?, bought it? What ya reckon? Is the SQ as stunning as it seemed over FM radio? are the other tracks as well covered? Will we be sick of hearing it at hi fi shows?

On the strength of the one track I've heard I was going to buy it on vinyl... my first new vinyl for decades... but it seems it's not available on vinyl:(

The track "Guilty", a Randy Newman cover, has been getting played by Jo Whiley and I was instantly grabbed by it, both musically and that even over the FM radio in second system the SQ was most impressive!
Haven’t heard it, but Guilty is a terrific song. I really like the Joe Cocker cover, which is better than the Randy Newman original, IMHO. I’ll have to check this one out.

It's all covers, she sings, he plays guitar... think Barney Kessel and Julie London.... (yeah it's not Albert Ayler crazy, doesn't go thump thump, has no synths or drum machine and no ethnic instruments so it must be Dad-Jazz!:rolleyes: I won't be crying a river over that)
Has anyone heard the album?, bought it? What ya reckon? Is the SQ as stunning as it seemed over FM radio? are the other tracks as well covered? Will we be sick of hearing it at hi fi shows?

On the strength of the one track I've heard I was going to buy it on vinyl... my first new vinyl for decades... but it seems it's not available on vinyl:(

A new one to me, but it’s on Qobuz so I’ll have a listen later.

Jez, I listened to it on Qobuz and it’s outstanding. Certainly one of my albums of the year. Thanks for the recommendation (and the Randy Newman track is probably the best on the album. Great vocals and guitar, a winner.

Jez, I listened to it on Qobuz and it’s outstanding. Certainly one of my albums of the year. Thanks for the recommendation (and the Randy Newman track is probably the best on the album. Great vocals and guitar, a winner.

Great! I wonder if it will be released on vinyl?

My white copy of Nubya Garcia’s Source turned up today. You actually get an extra signed cover with the signed option, the actual album is shrink-wrapped. Just playing it now, it is really good, a wonderful chilled soul-jazz feel with all manner of other influences floating in and out. It actually has quite a CTI feel to it despite being on Concord. Currently up to side C and I’m liking it a lot.
Nubya Garcia plays a nice set from the Source album as a Home Concert (actually the Source Studio house boat where the album was recorded). A recent (16th Sept.) NPR Tiny Desk Concert here:
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/16/912792407/nubya-garcia-tiny-desk-home-concert

advertisement

Back