advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Coming up soon Shabaka & The Ancestors - We Are Sent Here By History
“Conceptualised as an hour-long sonic poem, with lyrics written and performed by Siyabonga Mthembu, We Are Sent Here By History is the second album from saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings and his group of Jo’burg collaborators, The Ancestors. Continuing the spirit of 2016’s Wisdom of Elders, the album explores African and Afro-Caribbean traditions, drawing parallels between the album and the modern-day griot, or storyteller. We Are Sent Here By History is also described as a “meditation on the fact of our coming extinction as a species.”– AS

Heard some of this yesterday - my local indie shop had an advance CD - sounded really good

Now available via Tidal. Superb concert!

jgP6IPJ.jpg

I remain unimpressed by most hyped new jazz (e.g. Kamasi, Snarky Puppy, Shabaka, Good Good Not Bad...) but I like these guys.

The only Miles Davis I find myself playing these days is Bitches Brew. Listened to the first half today and can't help thinking ... 50 years old, but if it had been released in 2020 it would be very well received ... the guy was on another planet when he did this.

Sure, Miles was always ahead of the curve, looking to the future never to the past. But the perception that Bitches Brew would be well received if released today says more about the state of jazz today (and all its overhyped retro-derivative poseurs) than Miles' own path breaking endeavors.

The only Miles Davis I find myself playing these days is Bitches Brew. Listened to the first half today and can't help thinking ... 50 years old, but if it had been released in 2020 it would be very well received ... the guy was on another planet when he did this.

I'd put it this way, finding ALBUMS or WORKS I like takes massive time and effort, for every 100 recommendations I read about I like maybe 1. My basic problem applies to every genre - and from the past and the present. Not that anyone's taste is static, sometimes I like a thing for a while, maybe even years, then I don't any more.

But I do seem to prefer newer albums, broadly. I think music is overall getting better over time, and there are obvious reasons that should be so, unless a new dark age occurs. Most, though definitely not all, of the albums I pick up are newer albums. But I feel the top 40 these days is a complete mess - I'm talking outside of that!

Old or new, it's easier to find individual songs I like, which I collect in Spotify playlists.

Last edited:
I’m enjoying the music in The Eddy on Netflix. It has some of the best jazz I’ve seen in a tv show. Recommended if you’ve not caught up with it already.

Been listening to "New Devices" by the Roller Trio, came out 2018. Very good - sax / drums / bass (+ bits of synth and guitar).

Oh cant get enough of Snarky Puppy great band line up, really accomplished musicians and original compositions really modern Jazz big band mould. Cory Henry on keyboards. This is one of my favorites

I remain unimpressed by most hyped new jazz (e.g. Kamasi, Snarky Puppy, Shabaka, Good Good Not Bad...) but I like these guys.

advertisement

Back