advertisement

Coffee machines

Yeahbut the 'Mini' is £3,700. Do you have a view on Rocket machines ?

With a domestic version costing £3500, so you would hope. In addition, the cleaning and maintenance required makes it unsuitable for use by all and sundry in an office. Most that I work with struggle with the complexity of a cone and filter.

I'd gone a bit off topic, I was comparing the Linea to the new batch of commercial machines that cost way more.

The rocket is a good machine, but most heat exchanger machines with an e61 group will make the same coffee for less money. I've serviced more rockets than any other machine.

The lever group looks nice, but once the cam and valves wear out, it's a pretty expensive repair ($500+). Most of the ones that need expensive repair look like they have never been backflushed despite the owners swearing they have.

Solenoid groups don't look so cool but will be a lot cheaper in the long run.

For an office I'd recommend a commercial filter machine and good quality beans. They're not fashionable but I think they make better coffee than bean to cup machines.

filter machine and good quality beans. They're not fashionable but I think they make better coffee than bean to cup machines.

I agree. We are making the best coffee we've had using filters and pour over. It yields coffee with the most taste.

I agree. We are making the best coffee we've had using filters and pour over. It yields coffee with the most taste.

I love coffee oils, so espresso is my favourite drink.
I really like siphon coffee too.

Ever tried coffee from a clover machine? It was the darling of the specialty coffee world until *$ bought it, then it just disappeared.

I thought that you had a fleet of high budget espresso machines, grinders costing thousands and the full works?

Ex's housemate has a ROK manual espresso machine. Makes a fine drop. Quiet, takes up little bench space, fun to use, looks cool. Think he uses a nice hand cranked grinder, too.

I just came across this thread so haven’t read it all closely. I have used a De’Longhi Magnifica bean to cup machine for about 4 years. The coffee is generally very good, although the quality of the beans is a key factor, and it’s easy to operate and keep clean. Good value at about £300. I used to use an aero press which does produce better coffee, although it’s less convenient and messier. I can no longer drink ‘instant’ (life is too short)!

I'm using a europiccola for the second time, I had one last time I was in the US 12 years ago. I'm just as taken by it as I was then.

It heats up in ten minutes, then you can get two double shots out of it before the grouphead starts overheating. There's a learning curve at first and the "portafilter sneeze" can be frustrating if you try and rush things, but the quality of coffee can match that of some very expensive machines.

ROK manual

had a play with a ROK for a few weeks, but found all the pre-heating stuff to get it anywhere near high enough temp to make a decent espresso, way too much faff. Damned thing just lost too much heat too quickly to make nice espresso.

Cafelet Robot is similar and just about manages to be hot enough for good espresso with the faff.

I just came across this thread so haven’t read it all closely. I have used a De’Longhi Magnifica bean to cup machine for about 4 years. The coffee is generally very good, although the quality of the beans is a key factor, and it’s easy to operate and keep clean. Good value at about £300. I used to use an aero press which does produce better coffee, although it’s less convenient and messier. I can no longer drink ‘instant’ (life is too short)!

While I like my Aeropress I don't find it better than my bean-to-cup machines although it can get close if I'm using the same beans as I use in the bean-to-cup and a hand-grinder (although carrying and using that does up the hassle factor somewhat).

It's interesting to read that some are using De'Longhi bean to cup machines and enjoying them. Many years ago I had a Gaggia Classic and I loved the espresso based drinks from that, though I can't remember what coffee I used in it. At some time it got put into a cupboard and when I got it back out it had stopped working, even after many doses of descaler. There were no local dealers or repairers in South Wales at that time so I foolishly got rid of it.

Fast forward to earlier this year, just before lockdown, and I bought a De'Longhi PrimaDonna Class from John Lewis at the discounted price of £799 (currently selling in John Lewis for £1299.99). It has both a milk carafe for automatic capuucino, latte etc (rarely used) and a manual steam wand. Coupled with finding a local Cardiff supplier for beans, I've been enjoying coffee throughout the pandemic.

The Aeropress does fine for my flat white.
I have just got an Aeropress, so it is something new to me. How do I set about making something you could reasonably call a "flat white", as distinct from it being just a "latte" (which always strikes me as a very anaemic beverage)? Is it just a matter of upping the coffee shot component? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the original "flat white" was an Australian confection, and its recipe involved all sorts of shenanigans with using only a very particular "cut" of the steamed milk jug contents. Or is that nonsense?
ML

"I'm gonna smash back a couple of flatties bro" since 15 years ago. However I do prefer espresso neat that has a good sweet crema.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back