advertisement

Spotify and Lossless?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Just wondered, is it an option with them yet? I'm considering signing up for a premium family account but I can't confirm whether lossless streaming is available. I don't *mind* AAC320kps for music discovery purposes, but I'd rather have lossless. That said, I'm not sure I want to spend £20/month for a single user Tidal or whatever - I have precious little time to listen to the music I do own as it is, but my eldest son wants a Spotify (or similar) account, and I might occasionally use it. Best if it were lossless, no?

I know they tested a while ago but no dice. Their standard is compressed and sounds it I’m afraid especially compared hifi Qobuz or Tidal,generally.

Spotify is 320kps. I got an account for my daughter and son to share as you can download stuff to listen offline so they could manage on the one account. But after a few months I went for the family subscription as both my wife and I wanted to use it. Her for background music whilst working and I use it for late night listening on headphones. It's fine for that and for exploring new music. I think the family subcription is good value.

Slightly off-topic, I use Amazon HD which is £130/year if you already have a Prime account. Sound is fabulous but HD/UHD capable hardware is very limited at the moment. I'm using a Klipsch Gate streamer with a linear power supply and using the only (variable) output direct into Linx monoblocks. The addition of a linear PS made a very worthwhile improvement on what was already a very good sound.

Spotify is 320kps. I got an account for my daughter and son to share as you can download stuff to listen offline so they could manage on the one account. But after a few months I went for the family subscription as both my wife and I wanted to use it. Her for background music whilst working and I use it for late night listening on headphones. It's fine for that and for exploring new music. I think the family subcription is good value.
Definitely good value and I find the search engine decent but I use streaming for foreground listening so needs to be better quality.

Slightly off-topic, I use Amazon HD which is £130/year if you already have a Prime account. Sound is fabulous but HD/UHD capable hardware is very limited at the moment. I'm using a Klipsch Gate streamer with a linear power supply and using the only (variable) output direct into Linx monoblocks. The addition of a linear PS made a very worthwhile improvement on what was already a very good sound.
Had Amazon on a special offer for 3 months.Enjoyed it.

In family one person with money, so not much difference how many people allowed.
You’re paying not to have your automated playlists and recommendations in common really, and speaking as the father of children who listen only to computer game music and Disney soundtracks I say it’s worth it.

Spotify for me though. By far the best interface and algorithms. I haven’t done a major study but I have done some comparisons and found no meaningful difference between Spotify through Pi/Khadas Toneboard and my pricy vinyl set up, so decided against lossless.

Having said that, there’s massive variation on Spotify as regards the quality of the recordings themselves - so on anything but good quality recent releases I’ve found there is actually a justification for keeping my record player. Might not be the case on other platforms?

Spotify is only ‘just’ less than Tidal in SQ to me. It’s not MP3 and as with Tidal it’s all about the mastering. The convenience of controlling my PC remotely via the app is a massive plus.

Sit down with a glass of Malbec and enjoy.

I've been meaning to switch to tidal for a while. I think the thought of chanting settings in moOde is what is slowing me down.
Spotify just not at same sq as flac files streaming from NAS.

I have Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and Amazon HD. I would rate them as Qobuz first, Tidal next, followed by AHD and Tidal...but the last two are close.

advertisement

Back