advertisement

Proac Tablette 10 or...?

I have Harbeth P3esrs in a room with similar dimensions, can get then about 25 cm from back wall and one is close to side wall, the other open on the side. They do work well as you are effectively listening in nearfield so the room effects are moderated to a degree. I subsequently bought an RME ADI dac with eq capabilities and measured the room using REW, and used the eq to remove the bass hump around 60-80 hz which made a substantial improvement to the overall sound.

In my experience with the Spendor S3/5R and Harbeth P3ES (ATC SCM7/SCM10), all these are not really designed to work up near rear walls, or corners despite being sealed enclosure designs. They are all designed for free-field use and sound a bit too thick in the mid bass when used up near walls.

Being so close to the room corner will have the most effect.

Something like the Proac should work well, as its actually designed to be used mounted on walls. The Rega R1/RS1 as also designed to work near walls too (or wall Mount), there is also the older Alya/Ara and Kyte. I've had the R1s in a very small 'box' room (~9ft square), and they worked really well, and the same with the Alya in a larger room but placed up against rear walls.
Other option could be something like the ATC HTS7, the wall mount version of the ATC SCM7 for example.

An actual LS3/5A (or Keesonic Kolt) could work as they were designed for very tight spaces.

I had a pair of Neat Petite IIIs, quite possibly one of the worst speakers I have tried, near a rear wall or anywhere for that matter. Just boomy bass and recessed midrange (even with new tweeters).

If you can find a pair, Rogers Studio 3s work very well close to walls.
They're bass light out in a room on stands.

Seems the BBC style speakers are worth a look then?

Which are the more budget friendly of the bunch with good soundstage / low level listening? My total system budget (inc amp, stands etc.) is £2k. Thanks all

I like ProAc speakers but have a look at Mark Audio Cesti MB’s. I bought some last year as I think several other forum members have. They sound terrific and also look great. @orangeart on here sells them. Way better than ProAc Tablette 50’s I used to own.

Nice! And very budget friendly too. I just glanced at the reviews - added to the shortlist to explore further. Thanks very much :)

I like ProAc speakers but have a look at Mark Audio Cesti MB’s. I bought some last year as I think several other forum members have. They sound terrific and also look great. @orangeart on here sells them. Way better than ProAc Tablette 50’s I used to own.
I bought the Cesti MBR recently as they appeared to be an excellent deal, swapped out ProAc 115 in my office system - Cyrus amps. They are very good indeed, detail and imaging is excellent, not better than the ProAc, just a different presentation, I guess some may find them a bit bright with certain amps, low end is decent as well. I will be putting a couple of Rel subs in now I’ve given them a few weeks on their own, if I didn’t already have the subs I likely wouldn’t bother. They are on isoacoustic desk stands pretty close to the rear and side walls where they seem happy enough and not boomy at all.

Gus

I think Totem Arros would work very well in a smaller room. I use a pair in a second system, and I am always amazed at how they just get on with playing the tune. I have them only 6” from the back wall and they seem just fine with that. They sound great at low volume, they are omnidirectional with a huge soundstage, and they have a perfect tonal balance (at least with my old ears). They also have a small footprint. I run mine with a Nait1.
Just another option for you, unless you require stand mounts...

Added to the list to explore, thanks!

I just purchased the Tablette 10 a couple of weeks ago for use in a smaller room like yours. I’m using them with either a little Denon DM41 or a 45 tube based amp (1.5 watts). I really like this speaker. I was using the Dynaudio Emit 10 which I like as well. Being a sealed design, the Tablette 10 is better for my room, has greater clarity and seems a big step up.
I bought the Cesti MBR recently as they appeared to be an excellent deal, swapped out ProAc 115 in my office system - Cyrus amps. They are very good indeed, detail and imaging is excellent, not better than the ProAc, just a different presentation, I guess some may find them a bit bright with certain amps, low end is decent as well. I will be putting a couple of Rel subs in now I’ve given them a few weeks on their own, if I didn’t already have the subs I likely wouldn’t bother. They are on isoacoustic desk stands pretty close to the rear and side walls where they seem happy enough and not boomy at all.

Gus

What's low level performance like? Cheers

Intrigued by the Cesti MBR - worth the extra on the MB?...

Don't want to get off topic and hijak the thread, but yes, just a little more grown up. The coil is made from square section wire which reduces the lift in impedance as frequency rises. This just tames the treble a little bit more.

The Cesti MBR low-end is decent enough but they are never gonna give you deep bass like bigger speakers and it's not fair to compare, I'm listening to Grimes new album in the office now and earlier I had it playing on the Logans, the very bottom end is pretty much missing but it's still a great sound. I have them in a near-field office system, in a normal room situation I'd add Subs for sure.

What amp are you looking at or have already? Near-field or normal listening?

I have a hankering for the Dynaudio Special 40 but was reading up on the new Neat Ministra which might give you the bass you're after in a small box http://neatacoustics.com/ministra-2/ Be pushing the budget they go for £1K to 1.3K used/ex dem

I’m getting surprisingly good bass out of the Tablette 10. Well defined. Of course it’s not going to be that deep, but it gives you a nice foundation. I have a Rel b3 sun but haven’t been tempted to use it. It’s a cliche, but I am listening to familiar cd’s and hearing things I wasn’t with the Dynaudio. This is as it should be as the Proac is much costlier.

They are lovely speakers both in sound and aesthetics, not deep bass but enough. My friend had a pair on home demo with his Naim Atom, he found the sound a bit fatiguing but I thought it sounded very good. His dealer believed it was the Atom causing the fatigue. I personally didn't hear this. Does anyone else agree with the dealers view?

Love the look of those Jern's. Any idea about low level performance?

They are a small sealed cabinet design so they work best at moderate levels. I like them best placed about a foot from the front wall and I normally sit about eight feet away.

They are lovely speakers both in sound and aesthetics, not deep bass but enough. My friend had a pair on home demo with his Naim Atom, he found the sound a bit fatiguing but I thought it sounded very good. His dealer believed it was the Atom causing the fatigue. I personally didn't hear this. Does anyone else agree with the dealers view?

I know many people that got rid of their Proac Tablette because they were fatiguing on long listening sessions.
I think it’s mainly due to a wrong match with the electronic as they can really sing with vacuum amps for instance.

So long as you don’t need deep throbbing bass the tabs are great, clarity and poise in a neat LS35a kinda way.

The Tab 10's can do bass out of all proportion to their size, ridiculously musical, dynamic, if the OP likes rock, jazz these are a good bet, however they are not as tonally good as Harbeths etc.

The Tab 10's can do bass out of all proportion to their size, ridiculously musical, dynamic, if the OP likes rock, jazz these are a good bet, however they are not as tonally good as Harbeths etc.

I went from Harbeth to tabs, no regrets. Still like the Harbeth though but they need a bit of space behind them, the tabs are good close to the wall. IMO.

Yes l purchased the Tab 10's over the baby Harbeth model however l could definitely see why the folk like the Harbs!:)

May I ask if above pictured spike-feet stands are available for other/any speakers ?
They look similar to those used on some earlier Rega floorstanders.

advertisement

Back