advertisement

Proac Tablette 10 or...?

Columbo

pfm Member
Hi, been a non-registered lurker here for quite a while - seems the least weird of the audio based forums I've been bouncing around :p

I'm looking for some compact speakers for my new listening room, which is small 2m wide 3.5m long - speakers will have to go fairly close to front (about 20-40cm) and side walls (about 15cm - I know :rolleyes:)

The two things I'm looking for most is good low level performance (around 60db) and a wide/deep soundstage within that small space.

Going by the massive Proac thread on here seems like they might fit the bill nicely?

Any other options I should consider

Chris

Not on my website yet, but these would work well in that space for similar money...

http://jernspeakers.com/jern11/

I have not come across an English language review of the Jern 11 yet, but there is a review of the step up 12 XF model (which uses the same cabinets) here...

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/jern-12xf-standmount-loudspeaker

The smaller Amphion models might be worth a listen too. They have a more even off axis response than most which is helpful when you need to place them close to side walls.

https://www.strictlystereo.com/amphion

Welcome Chris,

You might be able to toe them in a bit and if you can put some absorption on the first reflection points it will help.
Might be a good idea to wait for some to come up for sale secondhand then you can buy them and try them, if they don't work sell them on.

Dali Menuets are another exceptionally natural sounding speaker for a small room/close to the walls and they throw a big soundstage might need a bit more volume to flesh them out a bit though!

I'm sure some small Harbeths would work well too, but i have no experience of them, perhaps others can chime in.

Can you put the speakers on the long wall?

Strictly the Jerns look very interesting made of Iron? A nice design too (the new Shmoo!)

Pro-Acs have a certain ‘sound’ which appeals to many, but there are others along with the Harbeths already
mentioned.
Spendors, for instance.

I have Harbeth P3esrs in a room with similar dimensions, can get then about 25 cm from back wall and one is close to side wall, the other open on the side. They do work well as you are effectively listening in nearfield so the room effects are moderated to a degree. I subsequently bought an RME ADI dac with eq capabilities and measured the room using REW, and used the eq to remove the bass hump around 60-80 hz which made a substantial improvement to the overall sound.

Hi, been a non-registered lurker here for quite a while - seems the least weird of the audio based forums I've been bouncing around :p

I'm looking for some compact speakers for my new listening room, which is small 2m wide 3.5m long - speakers will have to go fairly close to front (about 20-40cm) and side walls (about 15cm - I know :rolleyes:)

The two things I'm looking for most is good low level performance (around 60db) and a wide/deep soundstage within that small space.

Going by the massive Proac thread on here seems like they might fit the bill nicely?

Any other options I should consider

Chris
I just purchased the Tablette 10 a couple of weeks ago for use in a smaller room like yours. I’m using them with either a little Denon DM41 or a 45 tube based amp (1.5 watts). I really like this speaker. I was using the Dynaudio Emit 10 which I like as well. Being a sealed design, the Tablette 10 is better for my room, has greater clarity and seems a big step up.

I think Totem Arros would work very well in a smaller room. I use a pair in a second system, and I am always amazed at how they just get on with playing the tune. I have them only 6” from the back wall and they seem just fine with that. They sound great at low volume, they are omnidirectional with a huge soundstage, and they have a perfect tonal balance (at least with my old ears). They also have a small footprint. I run mine with a Nait1.
Just another option for you, unless you require stand mounts...

In my experience with the Spendor S3/5R and Harbeth P3ES (ATC SCM7/SCM10), all these are not really designed to work up near rear walls, or corners despite being sealed enclosure designs. They are all designed for free-field use and sound a bit too thick in the mid bass when used up near walls.

Being so close to the room corner will have the most effect.

Something like the Proac should work well, as its actually designed to be used mounted on walls. The Rega R1/RS1 as also designed to work near walls too (or wall Mount), there is also the older Alya/Ara and Kyte. I've had the R1s in a very small 'box' room (~9ft square), and they worked really well, and the same with the Alya in a larger room but placed up against rear walls.
Other option could be something like the ATC HTS7, the wall mount version of the ATC SCM7 for example.

An actual LS3/5A (or Keesonic Kolt) could work as they were designed for very tight spaces.

I had a pair of Neat Petite IIIs, quite possibly one of the worst speakers I have tried, near a rear wall or anywhere for that matter. Just boomy bass and recessed midrange (even with new tweeters).

Ps. no affiliation except reading positive reviews about Maclementhorn speakers and being close from the area where I live (North-Eastern Italy)

I like ProAc speakers but have a look at Mark Audio Cesti MB’s. I bought some last year as I think several other forum members have. They sound terrific and also look great. @orangeart on here sells them. Way better than ProAc Tablette 50’s I used to own.

I like ProAc speakers but have a look at Mark Audio Cesti MB’s. I bought some last year as I think several other forum members have. They sound terrific and also look great. @orangeart on here sells them. Way better than ProAc Tablette 50’s I used to own.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

speakers will have to go fairly close to front (about 20-40cm) and side walls (about 15cm - I know :rolleyes:)

.......and a wide/deep soundstage within that small space.

Exactly the 2 things that the Cesti MB that was mentioned above excel at. I'm not sure you will find any speakers that image better that these do :)

https://www.kjfaudio.com/product-category/home-audio/speaker-collection/brand/markaudio-sota/

Their range of speakers is also ridiculously cheap and you get a finish that really only belongs on a very high end speaker.

I have not come across an English language review of the Jern 11 yet, but there is a review of the step up 12 XF model (which uses the same cabinets) here...

Love the look of those Jern's. Any idea about low level performance?

I did consider the Amphion but giving them a swerve - read a couple of reports of it aggravating people's tinnitus, maybe because of the metal tweeters? (which is the reason I listen at lower levels)

Cheers

Welcome Chris,

You might be able to toe them in a bit and if you can put some absorption on the first reflection points it will help.
Might be a good idea to wait for some to come up for sale secondhand then you can buy them and try them, if they don't work sell them on.

Dali Menuets are another exceptionally natural sounding speaker for a small room/close to the walls and they throw a big soundstage might need a bit more volume to flesh them out a bit though!

I'm sure some small Harbeths would work well too, but i have no experience of them, perhaps others can chime in.

Can you put the speakers on the long wall?

Strictly the Jerns look very interesting made of Iron? A nice design too (the new Shmoo!)

Funnily enough I was researching quadratic diffusion yesterday and I'm going to stick a couple of panels on the side wall first reflection points. Curious to see how much difference that makes.

I forgot about the Menuets - I used to have the Zensor 1 which I really like. I'll probably go with with something none Dali this time just satisfy the novelty factor.

Wall mounting might be doable. Thanks!

advertisement

Back