advertisement

Aesthetics - how important are they?

@Tony L red, green and blue are primary colours and can often be seen in nature.

I obviously realise this, but I can’t think of a single example of the ultra narrow bandwidth harsh blue of modern LEDs in nature. The closest I can think of is maybe some of the bio-luminosity of some very deep-sea creatures, but certainly nothing I have personally experienced in my time on this planet. It is simply not a natural colour.

I obviously realise this, but I can’t think of a single example of the ultra narrow bandwidth harsh blue of modern LEDs in nature. The closest I can think of is maybe some of the bio-luminosity of some very deep-sea creatures, but certainly nothing I have personally experienced in my time on this planet. It is simply not a natural colour.

Humming birds.

Kingfisher?

just sayin'

Blue light also doesn’t focus onto the retina, I believe, which is why you can’t see a blue LED as a discrete point, it is always a bit fuzzy. In nature, blue things tend not to be objects, but fields (sky, sea) which is perhaps why we didn’t evolve to resolve them as clearly as longer wavelengths.

Edit, Kingfisher, noted!

It's of zero importance to me. Form follows function. The casework of an amp provides a stable platform on which to bolt the mains transformer, smoothing caps etc and the sides a suitable place for heatsinks if required. Input and output sockets etc are an obvious requirement and where better for them than the back panel... That's as much thought as goes into it. For my own use equipment will often have no casework and a power amp for example may well consist of mains transformer, smoothing caps, boards and heatsinks just plonked on a bit of plywood and put on the carpet between the speakers... I need to have unhindered access to do tests and to carry out modifications and there's a very good chance that say a power amp will be used for a few months to a few years and then I'll take it apart and re-use the heatsinks, transformer etc for a new idea so the vast cost of casework and all the drilling, filing, cutting involved is just a right costly PITA.

Yes I agree with this. This, for example, seems to me an aesthetic horror, absolutely disgraceful design. It even has a blue light!

b10ebfc23a092a4c74d16c81a2ef80aa.jpg

My own streamer, on the other hand, seems to me a paradigm of perfect aesthetics -- I was inspired by you when I made it

Capture.png

Aesthetics - How important are they?

We have a room for the stereo, and I buy hifi, so it is my choice.

Black boxes apart from the record decks and the speakers.

I did buy a silver-grey coloured pure ipod dock/dac, but painted it black.

Nearly completed new shelving for the hifi (this has been going on for years), just one longish glass shelf on L-brackets for the turntable PSU, phono stages and aforementioned ipod classic dock. Also I need a bit of space for stylus cleaning paraphernalia, pencil and special tape.

I am also constructing a slide-in-from-the-side cable shield, which will be colour matched to the paint on the wall.
The effect is very pleasing. It also hides part of the shelving supports, giving the impression of floating shelves.

Aesthetics are important to me.

"we first covert with our eyes..."

I think it is a quote from Silence of the Lambs.

'Form follows Function' could also be part of this discussion, but I ain't there yet.
I’d never have known you’d painted that dock black, I spotted it the other day and assumed they’d made a black model.

PS, I loved your room, the decor, pictures and various trinkets tell a story of a life and a family, it looked like a real happy place. I need to inject a little bit of that into my own listening space... and that Heybrook TT2 sounded ace, I’ve been looking at those!

49306139111_daefd20d18_b.jpg

Not one single thing ‘matches’ in any of my systems, but I have no issue with that at all. The only thing I don’t like aesthetically here is I obviously ran out of space and need a better solution for the reel to reel (which now has a Walkman Pro cassette deck sitting on top of it).
I love the look of that Tony, it’s neat and unfussy, and I love the stand. What is the stand by the way?

In the early '80s I developed a yen for small hifi units - preferably black or dark grey. Obviously tt and speakers thwarted part of that mission ;¬>

49781888783_c41aec8e20_z.jpg

The obsession with 'small' carried on into the '90s, if slightly compromised by CD players and the acquisition of a Quad 33/303 combo, and was rekindled with the move to digital:

49782752232_a212a866c2_z.jpg

Which leaves me roughly where I am today - small ... but with some acceptance of big as an evil necessity:

49781888928_cdf3618bba_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186836509@N02/

My Arkless Turbo has a blue light.:p

I don't hate them enough to remove them from functioning units! Bizarrely, to me, I have had amps etc in from customers with my instructions being to replace say the yellow LED's with green ones! That anyone gives a flying fook about that enough to pay to have the colour of LED's changed is way beyond me.... The customer is always right they say... There was even someone asking for somebody to do just this on their car stereo here on pfm a few days ago!

BTW Arkless Turbo is pretty meaningless... It's Arkless 640P Turbo or Arkless GTI turbo.

advertisement

Back