advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just remind people name calling isn’t clever and it’s against the AUP.

EXCUSE ME. What about all the cupid stunts who called me a troll, a prick or whatever? Did you remind them that it isn't clever and against the AUP? Just because I don't flounce.

You're flounceist.

His argument is not that he didn't know they were COVID, it's that he didn't know that asymptomatic people were infectious, so he saw no need to test them. And when the scientists told him that asymptomatic people were infectious, he immediately started testing and stopped transferring them into care homes. We'd have to look at dates carefully.

And I'm not arguing from double effect, I just state it as a form of moral argument which may or may not be relevant.

These were not school kids, they were elderly people with a range of symptoms - the asymptomatic argument is very "Cummings" but doesn't stand up. There was a rush to empty hospital beds - few people are in them with no symptoms of anything. It was panicky and reckless when you already knew that older people are far more vulnerable.

One of my neighbours, elderly mother in Yorkshire- taken to hospital as an emergency (non -Covid) and contracted Covid on the ward ( positive swab). She was pushed out into the care sector via six ambulance journeys in one day to die.

I try hard not to be rude-it’s partly why I use my real name here.

I think it’s hard for some of us to hear you say a Johnson is doing a great job when when our excess death rates are greater than other comparable countries while the Government with impunity hand out un-tendered contracts to friends and donors who do not deliver and ministers lie in briefings, daily. Not to mention the fools that people like Cummings take us for.

I just wonder what you think The Tories would have to do for you to think them incompetent?

Stephen

You’ve got me completely wrong, Stephen, and thank you for such a reasonable response.

I can’t stand the Tories, I would never, ever vote for them.

But, I do like Boris, why I can’t tell you completely, maybe it’s the voices in my head, haha, but there is something about him that I like.

I also think under these totally unpredictable and unprecedented time’s, that nobody would have anticipated the impact, so irrespective of who was in power, I doubt they would have done that much better or worse.

His argument is not that he didn't know they were COVID, it's that he didn't know that asymptomatic people were infectious, so he saw no need to test them. And when the scientists told him that asymptomatic people were infectious, he immediately started testing and stopped transferring them into care homes. We'd have to look at dates carefully.

And I'm not arguing from double effect, I just state it as a form of moral argument which may or may not be relevant.
Sorry, not convinced. It was already known by then that it took 4 or 5 days for symptoms to show after infection. So asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, not testing before discharge was at best irresponsible. Remember that four bus loads of holidaymakers quarantined in the Wirral? They knew about the risks back then and in the case of the elderly, they decided to wing it. It was all about plausible deniability, not about lack of knowledge or understanding.

Sorry, not convinced. It was already known by then that it took 4 or 5 days for symptoms to show after infection. So asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic, not testing before discharge was at best irresponsible. Remember that four bus loads of holidaymakers quarantined in the Wirral? They knew about the risks back then and in the case of the elderly, they decided to wing it. It was all about plausible deniability, not about lack of knowledge or understanding.

Indeed. Classic Dom.

I’m clearly not allowed an opinion that differs from the masses.
<snip>
Can you not just be reasonable people and agree to disagree with me on this one or is that too hard?

Quite pathetic really, I’d expect this in a school playground but not on a forum for adults.
You’re allowed an opinion, obviously, but we’re allowed to disagree and to challenge it. Freedom of expression works for both sides here. Otherwise you’re asking for a free pass to say what you like without consequences. That’s a bit immature, and if we’re thinking about playground behaviour then your outlook is the juvenile one.

I had things to do today which couldn't wait any longer so we ventured out to Blackburn first and then on to Accrington. We only called in at the sorting office in Blackburn so didn't stay long but driving in and out of Blackburn it was apparent that life was carrying on much as normal. In Accrington it was pretty much the same though some people, mainly older ones were wearing masks on the street but social distancing seemed to have gone by the board. In one shop we went in we were told we didn't need our masks if we were behind the glass screen but we needed to provide ID and had documents to sign etc so ended up having actual contact with the staff anyway. In another shop we needed to visit quite a few people were coming in and browsing without masks so we left. After what I've seen and heard today I'm of the opinion that the powers that be are just going to let this thing take its course whilst appearing to do what's required to keep most people happy. Nearly everyone I've spoken to today has said we just need to get on with it. My own grown up children think like this too. I asked my youngest how she'd feel if mum became ill and she said it was unlikely! She reckons the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion :eek: I think we're buggered tbh.

You’re allowed an opinion, obviously, but we’re allowed to disagree and to challenge it. Freedom of expression works for both sides here. Otherwise you’re asking for a free pass to say what you like without consequences. That’s a bit immature, and if we’re thinking about playground behaviour then your outlook is the juvenile one.

Why do people keep putting words in my mouth.

You’re allowed to challenge anything I say, of course you are.

You’ve got me completely wrong, Stephen, and thank you for such a reasonable response.

I can’t stand the Tories, I would never, ever vote for them.

But, I do like Boris, why I can’t tell you completely, maybe it’s the voices in my head, haha, but there is something about him that I like.

I also think under these totally unpredictable and unprecedented time’s, that nobody would have anticipated the impact, so irrespective of who was in power, I doubt they would have done that much better or worse.

That’s where we part company I guess.

Practically every failure during the pandemic has been due to the Tories‘ free market rules everything dogma and the incompetence of a Government whose members were chosen for one thing only. Brexit purity.

Even Cameron would have handled this better. The things that really need doing in this kind of crisis are in Labour’s DNA.

Stephen

I had things to do today which couldn't wait any longer so we ventured out to Blackburn first and then on to Accrington. We only called in at the sorting office in Blackburn so didn't stay long but driving in and out of Blackburn it was apparent that life was carrying on much as normal. In Accrington it was pretty much the same though some people, mainly older ones were wearing masks on the street but social distancing seemed to have gone by the board. In one shop we went in we were told we didn't need our masks if we were behind the glass screen but we needed to provide ID and had documents to sign etc so ended up having actual contact with the staff anyway. In another shop we needed to visit quite a few people were coming in and browsing without masks so we left. After what I've seen and heard today I'm of the opinion that the powers that be are just going to let this thing take its course whilst appearing to do what's required to keep most people happy. Nearly everyone I've spoken to today has said we just need to get on with it. My own grown up children think like this too. I asked my youngest how she'd feel if mum became ill and she said it was unlikely! She reckons the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion :eek: I think we're buggered tbh.
I can't like that post. Instead I need an "agree" button. Thanks for sharing.

Colin’s clearly unable to hold a decent conversation without resorting to calling people idiots that disagree with him and the gang mentality here is rife.

Can you not just be reasonable people and agree to disagree with me on this one or is that too hard?

Quite pathetic really, I’d expect this in a school playground but not on a forum for adults.
Hang around and you'll get used to it and will get to know from whom to expect it.

The things that really need doing in this kind of crisis are in Labour’s DNA.

I think they may do better but I have to say it's based on faith rather than facts/ I'm struggling to think of something this serious while Labour were in charge. The banking crisis doesn't come close to this.

Colin’s clearly unable to hold a decent conversation without resorting to calling people idiots that disagree with him and the gang mentality here is rife.

Still, at least you don't get bat-shit crazy conspiracy theories rammed down your throat on this forum. So count your blessings.

I think they may do better but I have to say it's based on faith rather than facts/ I'm struggling to think of something this serious while Labour were in charge. The banking crisis doesn't come close to this.

There was the 2001 foot and mouth outbreak. I don't think Labour handled that very well (though to be fair they were Hated Blairites and not 'proper Labour').

Why do people keep putting words in my mouth.

You’re allowed to challenge anything I say, of course you are.
You'll get used to that too, it happens all the time. Some are inclined to make up something you never said, or attribute to you an opinion you don't hold and then attempt to argue with you about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back