advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of Greater Manchester, East Lancs and West Yorkshire lockdown easing stopped.
Households can no longer meet indoors from midnight.

Matt Hancock said "The spread is largely due to households meeting and not abiding to social distancing".

How the hell do they know that? There is no testing at anything like the level they would need to prove that. It's bollocks. Do they seriously expect us to believe that people in those areas are less compliant meeting in their homes than anywhere else? Nasty northerners I guess ;)

So pubs are ok but next door neighbour not!
That's the thing really. If there's a spike then stamp on it. No half measures. Lock it down as it was in late March, April and May. I don't mean that to sound nasty but if you want any hope to keep things under control then half hearted measures are meaningless, and it is so, so hard on people to do it properly. Over the next few months I don't doubt that it will / should happen to most of our towns, cities and counties too.

Presumably when then investigated the contacts of positive people, they’ve been traced back to private gatherings where households meet. That’s just speculation on my part.

In pubs the landlord’s there to make sure there’s the right distancing.

Presumably when then investigated the contacts of positive people, they’ve been traced back to private gatherings where households meet. That’s just speculation on my part.

You still think this contact thing works?
The govt are just panicking because of the surge in the NW.
25% of all new cases.

Do you believe that there is really an effective system to investigate contacts? Or that people actually open up about who the contacts are? Or that someone doesn't just write "[email protected]" as their email address? Do you believe that the pub landlord really has both the power and desire to make sure that the right distancing is in place? Example - a friend of mine is a landlady - the pub is limited now to 17 people inside the door. 30 police troop in after a long shift... you reckon they're bothered about complying with guidelines themselves?
Your naivity is rather childlike. To say the least.

Little England now has highest ‘excess deaths’ rate in Europe (Sky News, Cold War Steve).

PS Comments on local council (I’m in greater Manchester) Facebook feed about the new re-lockdown just shows how confused the government messaging. No one has a clue what it means, everyone baffled as to the inconsistencies (pubs open, but can’t meet the same family members at their homes etc), many not even knowing if they can still go to work. It’s just bonkers, the government making everything up on the fly as usual.

Do you believe that the pub landlord really has both the power and desire to make sure that the right distancing is in place

yes, my observations of pubs here and the 6 odd I visited on the coast at the weekend, is all the landlords and bar staff were constantly reminding customers about social distancing, even the pub reduced to 3 tables and no standing. They all diligently collected contact details. One even randomly phoned customers to check contact details. I know because I received a call.

My local here is operating one at the bar only, and the queue is socially distanced, they won't let anyone in without scanning their QI code with an app. Local 'spoons is obsessed with customers maintaining social distancing.

next door neighbour has been tested and is on day 3 of quarantine after being contacted by track and trace. They have no symptoms and are waiting for the test results.

All of Greater Manchester, East Lancs and West Yorkshire lockdown easing stopped.
Households can no longer meet indoors from midnight.

It’s these specific areas Bob:

Affected local areas
  • Greater Manchester:
    • City of Manchester
    • Trafford
    • Stockport
    • Oldham
    • Bury
    • Wigan
    • Bolton
    • Tameside
    • Rochdale
    • Salford
  • Lancashire:
    • Blackburn with Darwen
    • Burnley
    • Hyndburn
    • Pendle
    • Rossendale
  • West Yorkshire:
    • Bradford
    • Calderdale
    • Kirklees

We live in the Hyndburn area and our son is due to visit next week with his two boys. We haven't seen them for nearly eight months and I'm not sure this is going to happen now.

We live in the Hyndburn area and our son is due to visit next week with his two boys. We haven't seen them for nearly eight months and I'm not sure this is going to happen now.

Presumably you can meet outdoors, but given Hyndburn it'll likely be raining ;) Not dissing it as used to live there myself and I still love the Pennines, but it does rain a lot :D

There are so many grey areas with these new measures, or at least, things that are not clearly spelled out.
I'm supposed to be meeting my sisters in a fish and chip restaurant just off junction 39 of the M1 (Wakefield) on Saturday to talk through issues arising from my dad's death in early May; best done face to face. I'll be travelling up from Herefordshire, one sister from Chesterfield, the other from ... Kirklees. In Kirklees, we can't do it, it seems, but just over the "border" in Wakefield we probably can, though it doesn't seem right that the sister from Kirklees should. It's not clear. I think we'll just call the whole thing off! We've been quite careful, here, and I don't feel like starting to take risks now. Better guidance would help, though.

We did not do a proper 'lock down' the first time round, so I do not anticipate that happening a second time round. As I've previously said the phrase itself is misleading, so no wonder the rest of it is confusing...

That's the thing really. If there's a spike then stamp on it. No half measures. Lock it down as it was in late March, April and May. I don't mean that to sound nasty but if you want any hope to keep things under control then half hearted measures are meaningless, and it is so, so hard on people to do it properly. Over the next few months I don't doubt that it will / should happen to most of our towns, cities and counties too.

Expecting people and business to lock down while removing financial support isn't going to work IMHO. Especially when other areas are not in lockdown.

People will also remember the ‘Cummings’ law.‘

We need effective community track and trace, full economic and social support for the vulnerable and those who need to isolate and for the rest to get back to work and life.

Otherwise the societal cost will be devastating.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back