advertisement

'The nonsense that is Naim' sub-forum

Yes, I really must get out on the river......got the fly rods....got the flies (dry flies only, of course).......got the large flask of G & T. ........Sorry am I supposed to be doing something productive while watching the Avon flowing gently past?

Try any Nait, it'l tell you if this is for you or not.

Yep, bang on. And if you don’t like it, you will be able to sell it back for the same price you paid to get it.
Then, if you don’t like the sound signature, it will be up to you to listen to something else and enjoy your music or spend several hours on forums bashing against Naim products.

Yep, bang on. And if you don’t like it, you will be able to sell it back for the same price you paid to get it.
Then, if you don’t like the sound signature, it will be up to you to listen to something else and enjoy your music or spend several hours on forums bashing against Naim products.

LOL what is wrong with people, just because someone doesn’t like Naim doesn’t make them an automatic Naim basher!

Yeah, you're probably right, but I've never really been the 'let it lie' type

My gran programmed me well in this regard - she said something like; "If you think joining in a discussion will influence it positively, then go for it. If not, then sometimes you have to ask yourself 'why bother?' ".

As I get older, I find myself thinking this more and more. FWIW(again!) I owned Naim for over 20 years, and enjoyed it. Looked after my kit, and after fancying a change, moved it on to pay for the current set up. It is what it is - hifi.

This brings to mind that old Oscar Wilde adage: “there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about............”

Naim must rub their hands with glee that all this criticism is just free publicity
I think it is a bit more than publicity. We are wired up to be tribal and resisting opposition from outside helps bind people emotionally to the tribe. This would seem to be a significant component in how technically illiterate people are bound to a group defined by technical fairy stories which would tend to fade away from the steady drip-drip effect of reality/science/truth without continual reinforcement. Note that "flat earth", "PRAT" are provocative names that invite opposition.

There is a thread elsewhere commenting on the steadily disappearing support for biwiring speakers. There was a time in the 80s/90s when biwiring had such a significant presence in the audiophile media that pretty much every speaker manufacturers had to take the financial hit of adding biwiring to their products in order not to lose sales. I am fairly confident that pretty much every manufacturer was aware that the technical benefits of biwiring was effectively zero and not worth the additional cost but when a significant number of their potential customers value the feature they have little option but to include it. Now the hype in favour of biwiring has significantly reduced in the audiophile media manufacturers are more able to drop an increasingly ineffective feature in terms of sales. Although Naim hasn't fully turned off the type of marketing that supported their "classic" products for audiophiles it seems to be a lot less present in their newer products which I suspect are aimed less at audiophile enthusiasts and more at general consumers with a bit of money.

It seems like a lot of people have a very inflated opinion of themselves. They are self made men who worship their maker.
No matter what is posted, someone with the traits above will be along with a totally useless comment, or be contrary just for the purpose of having an argument.
Small Man Syndrome being satisfied by their ability to hide behind a keyboard.
Pathetic, they cannot bring anything positive and helpful to the discussion, so resort to thread crapping and insulting behaviour.
Those type of self worshipers can be easily avoided by the "Ignore" setting.

It seems like a lot of people have a very inflated opinion of themselves. They are self made men who worship their maker.
No matter what is posted, someone with the traits above will be along with a totally useless comment, or be contrary just for the purpose of having an argument.
Small Man Syndrome being satisfied by their ability to hide behind a keyboard.
Pathetic, they cannot bring anything positive and helpful to the discussion, so resort to thread crapping and insulting behaviour.
Those type of self worshipers can be easily avoided by the "Ignore" setting.
Or just read and decide whether you want to respond?

Or just read and decide whether you want to respond?

Or even ask yourself if you have a valid experience to share? Eg what is the point of me saying D&D 8c speakers are better in my room than ATC, when I’ve not listened to the latter in my room?

Sure, you can give an opinion - but understand some on here will filter that regarding its credibility...

Objective evidence will win out almost every time.

Or even ask yourself if you have a valid experience to share?

Why experience? Why not knowledge?

Eg what is the point of me saying D&D 8c speakers are better in my room than ATC, when I’ve not listened to the latter in my room?

If (after defining what better means) verifiable reasons/facts (i.e. ones that can be checked by everybody) were given why the D&D speakers were better than the ATC ones then that is likely to be useful to a fair few here. If you simply like the D&D more than the ATC without solid reasons then this is a lot less useful but it may still help one or two looking for confirmation to go for D&D or drop ATC.

Sure, you can give an opinion - but understand some on here will filter that regarding its credibility...

Opinions have their uses but when it comes to technical equipment facts tend to be a great deal more useful. Problems come when people lack the background knowledge to recognise false facts or opinions masquerading as facts.

Objective evidence will win out almost every time.

Agreed so long as it is recognised as objective evidence. To a non-technical person with an emotional bond with a brand like Naim stating a technical fact that conflicts with Naim marketing is likely to have no impact beyond causing a bit of irritation. A person needs background technical knowledge in order to recognise a technical fact as a fact and not just some opinion. It is ignorance that enables conflicting facts to be discarded as conflicting opinions. We in the UK are currently suffering from this in spades in areas a lot more important than home audio.

Why experience? Why not knowledge?

My description was based on my criteria for the speaker - I’d not spend any money on a loudspeaker system for my main room without home demo. In this case the D&D passed Mrs C’s inspection pre home demo. The ATC’s did not. The fact I have not compared them side by side in my room would preclude me from commenting on which is better.

I have heard ATC in other people’s rooms, and liked them. But they were not being compared to another speaker at the time.

Different contributors put different weight on the fact issue/discussion.

It is a forum, after all - so any opinion is fine, so long as it doesn’t degenerate to personal affronts or insults. I’ll make my own mind up whether to consider a post, and then whether to respond to it.

My gran programmed me well in this regard - she said something like; "If you think joining in a discussion will influence it positively, then go for it. If not, then sometimes you have to ask yourself 'why bother?' ".

As I get older, I find myself thinking this more and more. FWIW(again!) I owned Naim for over 20 years, and enjoyed it. Looked after my kit, and after fancying a change, moved it on to pay for the current set up. It is what it is - hifi.

I was instructed similarly " if you have nothing useful to say say nothing" , The internet would die!

My gran programmed me well in this regard - she said something like; "If you think joining in a discussion will influence it positively, then go for it. If not, then sometimes you have to ask yourself 'why bother?' "

Or, in the words of the old Arab saying: 'It is good to speak the truth. But sometimes it is better to know the truth, and speak only of date-stones'.

Everything that’s wrong with Hifi can be found in this thread. Grown men and women arguing over pointless BS with neither ‘side wanting to back down. What makes it worse is I’ve just wasted time reading it. What a load of Bollox.

Everything that’s wrong with Hifi can be found in this thread. Grown men and women arguing over pointless BS with neither ‘side wanting to back down. What makes it worse is I’ve just wasted time reading it. What a load of Bollox.

Who's the idiot then? ;)

The first two words in the title might have given you a clue as to what you were letting yourself in for.

Try the Brexit threads for more of the same.

advertisement

Back