advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not completely, the tidal wave has not yet hit these shores...

Quite. Wait until Jan 1st.

_84102440_84102341.jpg

Look at the sight of UK manufacturing becoming totally uncompetitive as it can't get the just in time parts and can't get its orders out on time. Can't wait. It'll be awesome.

I advised similarly that there are many factors. One would hope Scotland, Ireland etc would bias their places towards their own to ensure you get a balance of students. Colin either chooses to believe the seats on a bus route or he is simply a google bot created by TonyL to keep the post count up on the site ;)
If you read the articles the politicians are more than happy to halt this EU obligation to provide free education to mainland European kids.

Quite. Wait until Jan 1st.

_84102440_84102341.jpg

Look at the sight of UK manufacturing becoming totally uncompetitive as it can't get the just in time parts and can't get its orders out on time. Can't wait. It'll be awesome.
Red Robbo British Leyland union tactics of the 1970s will not end well for anyone. A deal is on the way don't panic.

Red Robbo British Leyland union tactics of the 1970s will not end well for anyone. A deal is on the way don't panic.
It isn’t. The current government are actively pursuing ‘No Deal’ to appease their rabid supporters. They might pretend to be negotiating, but they have willingly painted themselves and the rest of us into a corner.

On college fees. There are two programmes that are being (wilfully?) confused here.

First is Erasmus, the exchange scheme for enrolled students in EU colleges. This is usually a 60/40% split of location over an undergraduate degree, but it also covers some post-graduate studies which are full time abroad.
The second is the general agreements regarding capping of college fees, which stem from the freedom of movement and single market principles.

First off, there's no such thing as free education. Either your government pays for it, or you do. No lecturer works for free (although having done the job for a few years, I'll add that sometimes it feels like it). It's kind of sad that I have to point this out, but it seems to be missed.

So, under Erasmus, undergraduates pay the fees that their home institution charges, and when they do the "exchange" part of the study, they pay nothing extra. Regarding Scotland, that means that a student enrolled in a university in a fee-paying country has to pay for the Scottish leg of their exchange, even though their Scottish classmates don't when they go to the other country. The colleges remit details of student exchanges to their governments, and the EU member-states settle up the differences in funding: because Erasmus is an exchange, these differences usually amount to not a lot really.

If you wish to apply to a foreign institution to study a full course abroad, your rights come under the various EU treaties, and these say that no EU national can be discriminated against when in another member state. That means that an EU national cannot be charged more than a native of the country would be. In Scotland, which did not charge tuition, that means you pay no tuition; in England, which does, that means you do have to pay tuition, but you cannot be charged more than a UK citizen would have been.

However, (and this is where the xenophobic bullshit of Brexiters diverges from reality) a Belgian studying in Scotland isn't getting one over on the Scottish taxpayer. Their studies are paid for by... the Belgian taxpayer. Just like in Erasmus, every government balances their account to ensure that onc country isn't losing out by paying to educate students whose taxes were paid into another country's education budget. In this case, there usually are significant transfers, as some countries attract higher numbers of foreign students than others. (The UK was a net beneficiary of this scheme, not so much because it has very good universities as because UK students don't study abroad as much as their continental cousins)

Incidentally, excluding "rest-of-UK" students from Scotaland's free tuition regime was dictated by Westminster, partially at the request of the English universities that didn't want to be undercut, but also because the cost of educating those non-Scottish UK students would eventually have fallen back to Westminster, which would have negated its effort to slash education budgets by imposing fees.

The EU member states were happy to pay for the education of their students in Scotland, so that's why they got "free" places while the English didn't.

And once again, we find that all along it was the Westminster government that was responsible for shafting the English, and not the EU...

The over 45s.

The older the voters, the more likely they were to have voted to leave the EU.
Nearly three quarters (73%) of 18 to 24 year-olds voted to remain, falling to under two thirds (62%) among 25-34s.
A majority of those aged over 45 voted to leave, rising to 60% of those aged 65 or over.
Most people with children aged ten or under voted to remain; most of those with children aged 11 or older voted to leave.

LR-by-demographics-768x720.jpg

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Congratulations, you're a veritable demon with google. However, we're all very, very familiar with Ashcroft's graphs.

What was the context of this post again?

This had me laughing. Come on then, who's going to pull this particular rabbit out of the hat, having had 3 years with nothing to show?

My money says extension in December or BINO. Excuse is Covid ate our homework. My money? £50 to CRUK charity bet, who will take it on? Match it with £50, winner chooses charity. If I get a taker I will ask Martin Clark to hold, if he will be so kind.

Quite. Wait until Jan 1st...

...Look at the sight of UK manufacturing becoming totally uncompetitive as it can't get the just in time parts and can't get its orders out on time. Can't wait. It'll be awesome.

I think that pretty much sizes up a lot of the more incandescent of the continuity remain contingent. There's a sort of hatred, or at the very least a deep contempt, for Britain. They actually want it to fail.

I think it was "name a positive effect of Brexit" and after 280 pages you've said "Well, there won't be one. Never said there would". So why are we still discussing it?

Point me to where I wrote that, would you.

Still doesn't explain the reappearance of the graph. I'd expect it was there on page 1, and every 10 pages since.

I think that pretty much sizes up a lot of the more incandescent of the continuity Brexit contingent. There's a sort of hatred, or at the very least a deep contempt, for the EU. They actually want it to fail.

Just change a few words and this applies to you and the other 'Brexit supporters on PFM.

I want Britain and the EU to succeed. I believe that both those aims being met with the UK being part of the EU. That's the difference between us.

PS. You do realise you are also a PFM Brexit 'drone' too?

Stephen

That's the line Peter Bone was taking on Newsnight last night. It's immaterial; deal or no deal, lorries will need to be checked. How is the UK getting on with ensuring there is sufficient capacity for checking freight at the border?

I think that pretty much sizes up a lot of the more incandescent of the continuity remain contingent. There's a sort of hatred, or at the very least a deep contempt, for Britain. They actually want it to fail.

quote-patriotism-is-the-last-refuge-of-the-scoundrel-samuel-johnson-14-86-51.jpg

2. I don't wish to see my country to fail, quite the opposite. However I recognise one has to deal with facts and not blind optimism and faith in our exceptionalism.
3. With regards to facts, please see my response to Colin above. Is the infrastructure, equipment and trained personnel ready to meet the increased need for border checking go from Jan 21 or isn't it? If not, Op Stack and all its impacts will be a fact of life for a long time

“A deal is on the way” put that with “The MDAC will be ready for Munich” and “The Onix will ship by Christmas”

On college fees. There are two programmes that are being (wilfully?) confused here.

First is Erasmus, the exchange scheme for enrolled students in EU colleges. This is usually a 60/40% split of location over an undergraduate degree, but it also covers some post-graduate studies which are full time abroad.
The second is the general agreements regarding capping of college fees, which stem from the freedom of movement and single market principles.

First off, there's no such thing as free education. Either your government pays for it, or you do. No lecturer works for free (although having done the job for a few years, I'll add that sometimes it feels like it). It's kind of sad that I have to point this out, but it seems to be missed.

So, under Erasmus, undergraduates pay the fees that their home institution charges, and when they do the "exchange" part of the study, they pay nothing extra. Regarding Scotland, that means that a student enrolled in a university in a fee-paying country has to pay for the Scottish leg of their exchange, even though their Scottish classmates don't when they go to the other country. The colleges remit details of student exchanges to their governments, and the EU member-states settle up the differences in funding: because Erasmus is an exchange, these differences usually amount to not a lot really.

If you wish to apply to a foreign institution to study a full course abroad, your rights come under the various EU treaties, and these say that no EU national can be discriminated against when in another member state. That means that an EU national cannot be charged more than a native of the country would be. In Scotland, which did not charge tuition, that means you pay no tuition; in England, which does, that means you do have to pay tuition, but you cannot be charged more than a UK citizen would have been.

However, (and this is where the xenophobic bullshit of Brexiters diverges from reality) a Belgian studying in Scotland isn't getting one over on the Scottish taxpayer. Their studies are paid for by... the Belgian taxpayer. Just like in Erasmus, every government balances their account to ensure that onc country isn't losing out by paying to educate students whose taxes were paid into another country's education budget. In this case, there usually are significant transfers, as some countries attract higher numbers of foreign students than others. (The UK was a net beneficiary of this scheme, not so much because it has very good universities as because UK students don't study abroad as much as their continental cousins)

Incidentally, excluding "rest-of-UK" students from Scotaland's free tuition regime was dictated by Westminster, partially at the request of the English universities that didn't want to be undercut, but also because the cost of educating those non-Scottish UK students would eventually have fallen back to Westminster, which would have negated its effort to slash education budgets by imposing fees.

The EU member states were happy to pay for the education of their students in Scotland, so that's why they got "free" places while the English didn't.

And once again, we find that all along it was the Westminster government that was responsible for shafting the English, and not the EU...
Colin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back