advertisement

Compulsory Retirement!

So partly you agree, partly you don't. How was holiday pay and pension provision on contract?
i think they add pay in to make up for lack of holiday pay and no pension provision unless you work for 'the bank' which is hospital or community own agency scheme

Some trades are dying out so those that still can are in demand, a good example is dry stone wallers, I have an uncle who worked until he was nearly 80 doing this. Unfortunately, he now has dementia.

i think they add pay in to make up for lack of holiday pay and no pension provision unless you work for 'the bank' which is hospital or community own agency scheme

Working on 'the bank,' was/is not popular, as the pay is nothing like as good as agency work.

If the NHS paid nursing staff overtime, there would be a lot less need for agency staff.
Most staff I knew/know had weeks/months of time-owing. Very difficult to get time back, as the numbers are usually down.

You pay tax at the same rate as any other age. NI is supposedly linked to pensions. At retirement age, you cannot accrue more pension rites, except by deferment, so why would you still pay?

Because NI is to all intents and purposes an additional tax and goes towards benefits other than a pension which I may need when I am not fit to work. I'll be earning more than the average pensioner so why shouldn't I continue to contribute?

Some teachers used to go on permanent supply, this gave them the same salary overall but they didn’t have the same level of responsibility.

I don’t think this happens as much today.

You pay tax at the same rate as any other age. NI is supposedly linked to pensions. At retirement age, you cannot accrue more pension rites, except by deferment, so why would you still pay?

I still pay NI but no stamp. I haven't actually paid for stamps for a while after I reached maximum state pension entitlement. As I'm self employed I pay an extra 8% on top of any tax I pay to cover NI.

Yes but gives flexibility in shifts and regular pay, I know someone who loves working on the bank. Fits in well with child care . It's not so well paid as agency as you say ,

Grades involved? I strongly suspect that that is more than extremely, highly misleading, especially as returnees are not going to be at the low end of grades/salary

Because your NI payments are NOT for your pension.Your contributions build your entitlement but The money is used to pay the pensions of current pensioners and for your own health care as you get more decrepit and maybe, by paying it on all taxable income until you croak, we might be able to do something about care in old age.

I sympathise with your view.
I also think anyone working beyond retirement age should be paying NI if they get over the threshold taking state pension and earnings together.
I'd go further and say that anyone with total pension income over the NI LUL threshold should pay at least the NHS element of NI. I retired early aged 57 and never paid another penny in NI contributions, which I thought quite wrong.

I'd go further and say that anyone with total pension income over the NI LUL threshold should pay at least the NHS element of NI. I retired early aged 57 and never paid another penny in NI contributions, which I thought quite wrong.
I thought that was what I said!
But I agree with you.

Nearly 3 million unemployed according to the Guardian on 15 Jun.

Seems selfish or greedy to me at least for someone to be in receipt of a State pension, a Workplace pension, mortgage free/children free for the last 30 years and yet continues to be in full time paid employment at a time when the dole is beckoning for many.

Seems selfish or greedy to me at least for someone to be in receipt of a State pension, a Workplace pension, mortgage free/children free for the last 30 years and yet continues to be in full time paid employment at a time when the dole is beckoning for many.
You are quite correct. Give young people a chance. It's selfish not to.

What does he do?

What does he do?

He works for a private company and designs cooling systems. But I am only using him as an example - I imagine there are hundreds of thousands like him and they do a good job and there are health benefits to staying active however it surely can’t be good for the country in the long term?

As pensions shift to a savings based system, people will have to keep working. Where I am in Malaysia, most people have consumed their pension pot in 5 years.

advertisement

Back