advertisement

Miles Davis Complete Sessions Box Sets being Reissued

It should also not come as a surprise that the same CD from different masters/print plants (even from the same period/issue) can sound different.

Tony,

It is typical to have 2 IFPI numbers. The one in the silver data layer indicates the master while the one on the plastic layer indicates the printing plant, I believe. The DIDP is something else, probably indicates the edition or print run.

BTW my copy which I got decades ago show different IFPI and DIDP numbers from you guys.

I think you’ll find that DIDP is a code for the manufacturing plant, in this case Sony DADC. Sony have (had?) plants in USA, Austria & Japan so I think the numbers following the DIDP represent the territory where that disc was manufactured. Each plant would have manufactured from a different glass master.

I've not listened to much else over the last couple of days and have already ordered a couple of the sets.

I am using every fibre of my being not to do a Tony and say sod it and buy more. As long as my wife doesn't find out I can listen for "free" on Qobuz I should be reasonably safe though.....

I can listen for "free" on Qobuz I should be reasonably safe though.....

So I'm struggling with why these are worth buying. Saying that, I did buy most or all of the Bootleg series, even though I knew they'd be coming up on Qobuz, but in retrospect I don't know why. A while back I would have said that my cd transport betters my streaming source, but since I've got a very good USB/SPdif converter that reclocks, I'm not sure I can tell the difference, even though my cd source is a pretty fantastic Audio Synthesis transport.

So I'm struggling with why these are worth buying. Saying that, I did buy most or all of the Bootleg series, even though I knew they'd be coming up on Qobuz, but in retrospect I don't know why. A while back I would have said that my cd transport betters my streaming source, but since I've got a very good USB/SPdif converter that reclocks, I'm not sure I can tell the difference, even though my cd source is a pretty fantastic Audio Synthesis transport.

It certainly makes no sense to me I will admit that. I can stream pretty much everything I want to listen to yet I still shell out for Tone Poets as well. I can convince myself the vinyl is better but cd versus streaming not so sure but I still fancied having the CDs.

As I said don’t tell my wife, she certainly wouldn’t get it that’s for sure :D

I still shell out for Tone Poets as well.

So do I, and that makes complete sense. I've not heard a Tone Poet that isn't distinctly better than the 24/96 files on Qobuz. But with CDs, it does seem like commodity fetishism. Not that I'm immune; I completely understand the desire to own these.

I still have no interest whatsoever in streaming beyond Prime for TV, and with music this important to me wouldn’t want to be in a situation where its appearance was reliant on whatever licensing arrangement the streaming service had at the time. Music comes and goes from these services, masterings change etc. I like to be in control of my own library, plus they are wonderful physical items (albeit highly impractical if you actually want to read the book!).

It certainly makes no sense to me I will admit that. I can stream pretty much everything I want to listen to yet I still shell out for Tone Poets as well.

Same here. I tend to listen to Qobuz to see if the music is worth buying on LP and then buy the LP. Every time. I now have a complete set of Tone Poet LPs.

Or listen to the CDs.

They aren’t too bad for that. I’m the typical OCD collector geek, so I have the CDs in additional inner sleeves kind of like a CD equivalent of Nagaoka LP sleeves to ensure they don’t get scratched and I don’t find the packaging too unmanageable. The most awkward are the shorter-format of the reissues. These, and the Bitches Brew 40th, have the discs over-laid in clips, so you have to take all three out of the irritating clips to get to the last one. A real PITA. It would be exceptionally easy to scratch the CDs in this style of packing too. To be honest the long-box reissue format is by far the most sensible of the lot, its easy to get to the CDs and the book is much easier to read! It actually works as packaging!

I have 4 of the boxes. The only one I play regularly is the 1965-68 due to not having the individual albums, so I play each cd in the box not really knowing which album it is, but I’m used to it now. Musically it’s my favourite Miles period so should make an effort to get the individual albums but don’t like the duplication.
The box I would really like to see reissued is the mono box from about 2013. I have been listening to some of the monos on Qobuz and they sound pretty good

My most played ones are In A Silent Way, Jack Johnson and On The Corner (I had a dodgy download of OTC while the box was unavailable and didn’t feel guilty in the slightest as I always wanted to buy it as soon as I could find a copy) as these are the ones where the final release was cut ‘n’ shut from multiple jam sessions etc in an almost Stockhausen/Cage style, so have the most to reveal. I have to admit I was very surprised to find Bitches Brew wasn’t made in the same way, at least the Complete Sessions box is very different being the album and some largely unrelated bonus tracks rather than the raw material. For me the boxes I mention both make me appreciate how the original albums were made better, and very much stand as their own thing as the unedited raw material is just so strong. It really is amazing stuff.

My favorite ones are the Bitches Brew, Cellar Door, Jack Johnson and Plugged Nickel. Of course many of the other boxes also contain amazing music but these few have very expanded and different music from the original released albums. For the others, I tend to listen to the individual albums. In a Silent Way and Live at the Blackhawk boxes also have greatly expanded tracks but for some reason I don't play them that often. Perhaps it's because I have them on Mosaic vinyl...

I can't believe I missed this thread when it was first posted! I've made up for it now by ordering:

In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew
On the Corner
Jack Johnson
Second Quintet

I might go back for the rest when my bank balance has recovered!

I'm especially looking forward to hearing IaSW as it's in my top three Miles albums.

Last edited:
When ordering these from the US am I right in thinking that you pay duty free up to £135 however whatever we order will be (US total price + Total Shipping) * (VAT at 20%) = Total. Yes?

When ordering these from the US am I right in thinking that you pay duty free up to £135 however whatever we order will be (US total price + Total Shipping) * (VAT at 20%) = Total. Yes?
That’s how I understand it. Then above £135 you add duty * (even more VAT at 20%). At the exchange rate the day I ordered, the total was just over £134, so I’m hoping I should be OK for duty at least. Tony and others have posted that they got away without duty or VAT, so I’m hoping my order arrives while customs and the postal system still have their minds on other things!

That’s how I understand it. Then above £135 you add duty * (even more VAT at 20%). At the exchange rate the day I ordered, the total was just over £134, so I’m hoping I should be OK for duty at least. Tony and others have posted that they got away without duty or VAT, so I’m hoping my order arrives while customs and the postal system still have their minds on other things!
Hmm, interesting. I see quite a few 'Mint' copies on Discogs of these sets for less money and thinking less faff/hassle just buying from an EU seller. Might just do that instead. Not fussed if it's brand new.

advertisement

Back