advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now.... this is music to my ears.... :)

I hope I’m doing this photo posting correctly. Here’s a quick not-so-good pic of my Spica SC-30 recently re-foamed by myself and sounding quite good driven by a Linn Majik-I.
LKtaOVL

Apparently that’s the SC-30, I’ve never seen or heard a pair though - very rare I believe. I don’t think many Angelus made their way to the UK either and I haven’t seen a pair for years and years.

Yes, not a ton of SC-30’s out there, even over here on the other side of the pond, not many around, unless the hoarders have them and aren’t letting us know about it!

Reactions: Ray
Nice little Spica link: https://spicaspeakers.com/

Not to drag things away from the Systems pic topic, but thinking back on systems and speakers over the many years I have been in this “hobby”, one of the very best, yet kind of quirky system, included a pair of TC-50’s. If one could forgive the obvious lack of bass, the rest was quite magical. The system was California Audio Labs Aria, Counterpoint SA-5000 preamp, Wright Audio tube amplifier, Spica TC-50 on Sound Anchor stands. Forget what wiring/cabling, but setup was just sublime....

Last edited:
Apparently that’s the SC-30, I’ve never seen or heard a pair though - very rare I believe. I don’t think many Angelus made their way to the UK either and I haven’t seen a pair for years and years.
The Angelus were crazy expensive here (£1200? £1800?) . When I bought my pair I was told that less than twenty pairs had been sold in the UK.
Keith Howard's review in Audiophile sold them to me but there was no way I could afford them. I bought my pair a decade later in scruffy but complete condition. Only time and money stand in the way of restoration.

I’m using the living room for my 2 channel listening room and the dining room as my vinyl wash station- a sore point with my wife:)
84-E28-BF1-83-C9-4241-922-A-CBAF863-D19-D6.jpg

5-C47-AEA7-83-B0-4-B5-E-B836-DF2-D91-B502-BF.jpg

30-F7-D432-FBEB-4923-90-B5-2-A6-A4-F638-AE7.jpg
Stunning room, the chessboard really ties it together. :)

PS - Am I the only one who's just had the crazy idea of buying a few chessboards, gluing the pieces in place and mounting them on the walls and ceiling as DIY skyline diffusors?! :D

Here’s a pic of naked SC-30s, as requested, and a bonus Spica Angelus pic. Taken with an iPhone and indoor lighting, so not the best.
liwavAE.jpg
mf02Oyn.jpg

SC-30’s carry a lowly Peerless cone tweeter, but set up properly are no slouches even compared to the Snell Type AIIs sitting behind them. They’re said to be one of John Devore’s favorite speakers before he started his own brand (per a YouTube video). BTW I also have two pairs of the TC-50s.

Do you happen to have a copy of the Keith Howard review of the Angelus?

Do you happen to have a copy of the Keith Howard review of the Angelus?

What do you think I am? Some sort of hifi geek?
More seriously...... My Angelus have exactly the same finish...... Which I don't like.

Sudden spendy update from my last pic a few weeks ago. Switched the cheap (but perfectly good) Topping D10 DAC for the matching Pro-Ject DAC Box S2+...and went a bit mad on the vinyl end and got a Technics SL-1200G and an Audio Technica VM540ML/H!

All this sitting around playing vinyl got me interested in improving things further. The Technics has been a great buy and the AT cart was dead easy to fit as it came ready pre-aligned for the Technics in the headshell and sounds brilliant. I expect I’ll sell the Pro-Ject deck at some point. Speakers are still the Harbeth M30.1 which are going nowhere!

Next on my list is an upgrade from Croft integrated to Croft pre/power:

WboQbIG.jpg
How do you find the Croft Integrated compared to the Leben you had previously ?

I love my EAR 834 Integrated but it doubles up as a room heater.

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1251252550872989697?s=20

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back