advertisement

Would you sign up to be tracked?

Would you sign up for Covid 19 contact tracing

• Total voters
You seem to make light of the very real danger I and thousands of others are facing on a daily basis.

" Quite right. They are out to get you after all."

Perhaps you find amusement in the above but it rings very true in my situation.
I've got 13 days to work before I can escape direct exposure to this virus for 3 weeks. I wish I could be sure I will make it 'til then uninfected but that is far from certain.

Be safe.

You seem to make light of the very real danger I and thousands of others are facing on a daily basis.

" Quite right. They are out to get you after all."

Perhaps you find amusement in the above but it rings very true in my situation.
I've got 13 days to work before I can escape direct exposure to this virus for 3 weeks. I wish I could be sure I will make it 'til then uninfected but that is far from certain.

Be safe.

The above statement was in jest and clearly about Govt. I do find it amusing in that (intended) context.

I have a daughter working in ICU with CV19 patients, so probably am as aware as most. But I try not to be too dramatic about that, and instead to make light of it. If that is too flippant, then just ignore.

The above statement was in jest and clearly about Govt. I do find it amusing in that (intended) context.

I have a daughter working in ICU with CV19 patients, so probably am as aware as most. But I try not to be too dramatic about that, and instead to make light of it. If that is too flippant, then just ignore.
Perhaps a :) then, if only to convey context.

(Ignore? Not an option I would use.)

I'm so boring that it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my movements were tracked. As long as they didn't pass that information onto the traffic police of course.

All this paranoia about privacy. I’m more concerned about a virus invading hundreds of thousands of people and killing them. We can fix the privacy stuff later. I question what some have to fear about the potential of the state knowing more about their lives.

It's a bit naive to think that once given these sorts of powers they'd just hand them back/shut it down after all this is done.

Does anyone SERIOUSLY think that it isn't 110% possible now? The difference would be in speed of access and what could be done after accessing the records, basically building an exception into the data protection laws is all that it would entail.

I'd sign up, so long as I didn't have to get a mobile 'phone.

So much of ones life can already be easily tracked. In some cases folk don’t use sensible precautions. It would not take much upscaling to do what’s asked. It just depends on the type and device.

I have a tracking app (Friend Locator) on my 3 year old Xperia as some days I used to collect my grandson from school and with having a heart condition it thought it was a good idea that his parents knew I had picked him up.
Where I live we have one cell tower and lots of hills. I can’t reliably listen to the radio (when walking the dogs) using data, as the signal is frequently lost. I have the clubcard app on my phone but as there is a very poor signal in the store in town I have to open the app before I go in. I have looked at the tracking data and it’s laughable. I know that the proposed app would use Bluetooth to swap tags with nearby phones but even getting it to connect to my devices right next to me is sketchy, I certainly wouldn’t want to trust my life to it. Tracking may help but it’s no silver bullet.

It's a bit naive to think that once given these sorts of powers they'd just hand them back/shut it down after all this is done.
Maybe not but we live in such an inter-connected world now where so much information is already available it's naive to think it really makes much difference in the end.

If most people really knew what 5G is all about they'd realise there will be nowhere to hide - all our information will be out there whether we like it or not - there will be an enormous density of devices tracking, watching, analysing us. 5G isn't about faster downloads. The privacy ship has sailed. You can try to turn off others being able to access your details but in reality, if you want to consume services they won't work if you are incognito. I'm not in favour of this type of world - 5G is the last straw, it's happening without our by-in. I balance this inevitability with our current need to find a way out of this pandemic - I'm simply being pragmatic, if somewhat reluctantly.

What should come out of the C19 situation is that we need to be more self-sufficient, able to build more of our equipment, PPE, run our own tests at volume, grow and pick our own food etc. Aiming to trade more with countries across the other side of the world is very badly timed. Now is the time to be more self-sufficient and to trade with our neighbours - this also helps the environment (vs long-distance trade).

OK but GDPR compliance doesn't offer the control I think is needed.

The government would not be able to do it without it being GDPR compliant without passing new law, which they would not be able to do without public scrutiny.

advertisement

Back