advertisement

Singers whose voice you can't stand

My wife absolutely hates Ricky Lee Jones which is a shame as I absolutely love her music.

I do think we need to cut a lot of slack to songwriters who may not be the greatest singers in a technical sense. e.g. Dylan, Neil Young etc.

Quite possible to like the song and dislike the voice.

I like Dylans voice (does depend which decade) but Neil Young has always got on my pip.

I do think we need to cut a lot of slack to songwriters who may not be the greatest singers in a technical sense. e.g. Dylan, Neil Young etc.

The world is full of musicians and singers who are masters of technique that make shit music. Don't let that fool you, no amount of hard work will make up for a paucity of talent and they're still shit. Its the grit in the oyster that makes the pearl etc..

I'm off to cleanse my palate with a bit of the Godz and The Fugs for the rest of the afternoon.

Oh, and in the answer to the OP, I heard a band called Greta Van Fleet recently. Quite apart from being absolutely the worst pile of self-important, joyless retro-rock cack I have ever heard, their singer sounds like he's failing an audition for a high school Rush tribute act. Truly, truly awful without even the entertainment value of Bobby Gillespie's club-singer rapping - which would be my second choice. Well, him or Neil bloody Diamond.

Last edited:
I dislike Van the Man too.

funny I was chatting to a colleague at work and saying how when was at Uni, mid 70s, there were folks there that literally thought Dylan was a God. I can tolerate it as a form of poetry, but not singing.

Are you implying that you like all singers voices

Not at all. Many I don't give the time of day have been mentioned already.

I'm surprised that two of my favourites haven't been mentioned yet...Peter Hammill and Robert Smith.

Soft AOR rock too. Just tons of it. If you can imagine a sea of middle aged people at a festival waving their lighters in the air without actually wanting to cleanse the song with fire, that is what I’m on about. It is just as bad a cliche as the X-Factor over-singing thing.

PS In fairness as these things go Whitney Houston was one of the better ones. She may have been the blueprint for the ‘57 notes and a long warble to every single word’ thing, but she did have a lot of genuine talent and could also not do it if the song called for it.

Steely Dan?

advertisement

Back