advertisement

Singers whose voice you can't stand

2ManyBoxes

pfm Member
1) Bob Dylan
2) Liam Gallagher
3) Boy George
4) Any of those dance track singers who just scream their heads off from beginning to end
5) Tom Waits

I'm sure there's someone else but I can't think of them right now :) I realise that I'm stretching the boundaries of "singing" with some of the above

Last edited:
Lead singer with Vampire Weekend, not much makes me switch the radio off/over but every time they come on I have to. Not helped by the crap music.

Kate Tempest is another.

Joni Mitchell and the guy from Anthony And The Johnsons. Can’t get through one song of theirs, just awful!

I quite liked Zombie by The Cranberries. Bought the album then found Dolores O’Riordan did that yodel thing on every track, which quickly became quite painful.
Love Waits though...

Mick

Its funny the voices we like and don't like. For example I love Tom Rapp's voice and he sang with a lisp but I can't stand the croaking noises made by Mr Waits.

Boy George is technically very good but there's just something that gets under my skin.

Mariah Carey OTOH is technically great but is totally devoid of all genuine emotion. If she ever does find something she genuinely cares about and gets the right song / producer, she could produce one of the greats. Whether that ever happens is another thing...

Mariah Carey OTOH is technically great but is totally devoid of all genuine emotion. If she ever does find something she genuinely cares about and gets the right song / producer, she could produce one of the greats. Whether that ever happens is another thing...

Totally agree, it's like every song is a demonstration of her vocal range, not a performance with emotion or feeling in it.

I quite liked Zombie by The Cranberries. Bought the album then found Dolores O’Riordan did that yodel thing on every track, which quickly became quite painful.
Love Waits though...

Mick

Best enjoyed in small doses, no more than 2 tracks at a time. Zombie is a great track by itself but more so in contrast with the rest of their output.

Most of 'them'.
I really don't care for singing much at all in popular music.

(I do actually like Joni Mitchell. Mark your card accordingly.)

advertisement

Back