advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

Hello sunbeamgls,

Not sure what you mean, can you clarify? The acceleration of the stylus depends on amplitude and frequency, not on precision of manufacture. Even at the high accelerations that occur in record replay, the forces are minuscule in magnitude due to the low effective mass of the stylus and will have negligible effect on the bearing and its housing.

Exactly. You said it, miniscule in the macro sense, but tiny inaccuracies at that miniscule level have a big impact. So any miniscule inaccuracy in the equipment supporting the stylus means quite a large impact on its miniscule movements. You're looking at it the wrong way around. Because the movements are so miniscule but massive at that scale, any inaccuracy in the bearing has a big effect on the effectiveness of the stylus.

I’m sure I’ve read that if you spend £3k plus on upgrades, you get the new bearing thrown in for free. Worth checking if you’re thinking of getting the Radikal.

That was exactly what I was thinking - not sure I'll be able and ready to part with the cash by the May deadline however

Occam's razor comes to mind. The simplest solution being to have a record player; that is, should one have records, and wish to listen to them.

Spreading the load points around a greater clamping area can only be a good thing. I would argue however that the linn bearing arrangement is already stiff enough given that's theres no varying load in any flexural axis.

Occam's razor comes to mind. The simplest solution being to have a record player; that is, should one have records, and wish to listen to them.

Occam's razor actually states that, "The model that adopts the least assumptions should be the model one first adopts until such time as evidence proves otherwise". The entire "KISS" narrative derived from that has been done so by people who didn't actually read Occam's words.

Slightly off topic, but for the many who have original LP12s what oil is recommended ?
I have a scientific/engineering background and know a fair bit about bearing types and lubrication, but have noticed some 'snake oil' hype around.
Apologies for the pun...

Occam's razor actually states that, "The model that adopts the least assumptions should be the model one first adopts until such time as evidence proves otherwise". The entire "KISS" narrative derived from that has been done so by people who didn't actually read Occam's words.

Occam never said anything of the sort, did you invent that quote yourself?

If dealer fitting isn't included it will be the first Linn component I've come across without. I've never paid for fitting an upgrade kit in over 30 years, including a Lingo 4, and the deck has been serviced FOC at the same time. Cymbiosis have a different policy I believe which is made clear to customers beforehand.

My issue wasn't with Cymbiosis - I just had it confirmed by them that fitting isn't included in the Lingo 4 price. The dealer I used didn't mention it upfront to me as far as I can recall and I'm sure I heard before that, that is was included. So the extra came as a bit of a disappointment

Slightly off topic, but for the many who have original LP12s what oil is recommended ?
I have a scientific/engineering background and know a fair bit about bearing types and lubrication, but have noticed some 'snake oil' hype around.
Apologies for the pun...
@Martyn Miles,

When you say 'original LP12', one must ask what colour is your bearing housing?

If it be gold (with white liner) then best not to use Linn 'Black' Oil which is loaded with molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) which can cause this liner to swell, leading to partial or full bearing seizure.

Linn specifically recommended Velocite No.6 for the 'gold' bearing. Not surprisingly, the Velocite number series is primarily formulated for spindles and machine tools, and is widely used in machine shops like Linn's.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen an LP12 with a knackered bearing, you’d have to seriously neglect one to do that.

I'm assuming people do then because I've seen a few. If the oil is not changed regularly the liner will wear on the side the belt pulls against. It'll wear anyway but faster with mud for lubricant. The tip of the spindle and thrust plate will wear no matter what you do. Remember that it's only the very tip of the spindle that actually does anything. If your bearing is a few years old, pull the spindle out and have a look. Mmmmm

Slightly off topic, but for the many who have original LP12s what oil is recommended?

I've tried a few and Audio Origami booster oil is the best I've tried. How much better it sounds will come as a surprize.

Graphite loaded ep80 gear oil for everything except the gold bodied bearing.

If you fancy I have a ceramic loaded ep80 you can try. Slippier than graphite.

@Martyn Miles,

When you say 'original LP12', one must ask what colour is your bearing housing?

If it be gold (with white liner) then best not to use Linn 'Black' Oil which is loaded with molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) which can cause this liner to swell, leading to partial or full bearing seizure.

Linn officially recommended light mineral machine oil for the 'gold' bearing. Un-officially, Velocite No.6 which is SAE10 is recommended. Not surprisingly, the Velocite number series is primarily formulated for spindles and machine tools, and is widely used in machine shops like Linn's.

Yes, it’s the gold coloured one with what I assume is a PTFE liner.
My experience is with roller/needle roller bearings and the characteristics of plain bearings with large
surface areas.
A long way from turntable bearings...

My issue wasn't with Cymbiosis - I just had it confirmed by them that fitting isn't included in the Lingo 4 price. The dealer I used didn't mention it upfront to me as far as I can recall and I'm sure I heard before that, that is was included. So the extra came as a bit of a disappointment

Thanks for pointing this out as transparency on all work required and any additional costs is essential. It's absolutely wrong not to inform/explain and agreed that this is fair and reasonable before any work is carried out.

KR.

Peter

advertisement

Back