advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

So is the Karousel now with dealers? I normally get some marketing spiel from the dealer I last bought an upgrade from but I’ve heard nothing.

Also is there a fitting charge? I believed that the Lingo 4 price had an element in it for the dealer fitting. Peter at Cymbiosis told me not so (he’s not my local dealer but the way) . So it isn’t just the cost of the part....

I get the car analogy - you pay labour charge. But I’d rather it was clear and transparent

This is the last time I'm going to say it.

If you have a pre-Cirkus LP12 with a worn bearing you have no choice but to buy a kit which is expensive, includes parts you do not need and will alter the sound of your turntable. Replacing the worn part like for like is not an option.
I tend to agree with you on many things but the scenario you’re describing here is purely hypothetical, I’ve never seen an LP12 with a knackered bearing, you’d have to seriously neglect one to do that. Even the very earliest ones should just keep on going with routine oil changes every few years. There are some wear parts on an LP12 such as the belt and the springs/grommets (which in reality take absolutely years to deteriorate noticeably), the bearing isn’t considered a wear item... and I’m sure there will be an influx of bearing/sub chassis kits of both Cirkus and pre Cirkus variety.

People give Linn a hard time but the LP12 is eternally serviceable, there are other high end decks with little to no support... want to buy a new, original spec belt for your Palmer deck? Good luck!

If you buy a bearing platter and sub platter from Edmund he'll often do you a good deal on all 3. BTW, the issue with the early runs of the bearing are now sorted.

If dealer fitting isn't included it will be the first Linn component I've come across without. I've never paid for fitting an upgrade kit in over 30 years, including a Lingo 4, and the deck has been serviced FOC at the same time. Cymbiosis have a different policy I believe which is made clear to customers beforehand.

My AR XA is still working well...
As well it should Martyn.

Back in the day, one could buy a replacement Nylon thrust plate and a new ball bearing for 25 cents each. I doubt they sold many.

If one were feeling really flush, and wanted to treat their AR to a new belt, the price of admission was $2.00.

As well it should Martyn.

Back in the day, one could buy a replacement Nylon thrust plate and a new ball bearing for 25 cents each. I doubt they sold many.

If one were feeling really flush, and wanted to treat their AR to a new belt, the price of admission was $2.00.

Actually, if you went to the AR Demo room in Grand Central Station in NY City and asked nicely, they would just give you a belt.

Hello sunbeamgls,

Not sure what you mean, can you clarify? The acceleration of the stylus depends on amplitude and frequency, not on precision of manufacture. Even at the high accelerations that occur in record replay, the forces are minuscule in magnitude due to the low effective mass of the stylus and will have negligible effect on the bearing and its housing.

The precision required for a stylus to track a groove is massively underestimated by most.

http://pspatialaudio.com/max_accel.htm

Or you could go have a listen and make and informed judgement.

http://www.audiophile.no/en/news/item/2641-linn-karousel-en

Given almost any LP12 upgrade costs ~£1K, I am tempted at £750 for my older deck. I'd been considering a Radikal upgrade when funds allow anyway as the old AC motor has the classic LP12 "click" only audible in quiet musical passages and with low amp volumes

I’m sure I’ve read that if you spend £3k plus on upgrades, you get the new bearing thrown in for free. Worth checking if you’re thinking of getting the Radikal.

Don’t recall ever being charged for fitting an upgrade, only extra would be if additional parts need. Peter is the only person I’ve allowed to touch my deck in well over 20 years.

I’m sure I’ve read that if you spend £3k plus on upgrades, you get the new bearing thrown in for free. Worth checking if you’re thinking of getting the Radikal.
https://www.hiddensystems.co.uk/news/2020/3/5/linn-lp12-bearing-upgrade
"As an introductory offer Linn are offering a new Karousel bearing free when you spend £3000 or more buying any Linn items. The offer is valid for orders placed from 23rd March to 22nd May and will be delivered before 29th May."

It's just a record player why the need for emotional investment?

Makes me think of when my kids were little:
Daughter: "But daddy, I neeeeeed an ice cream"
Me: "Wrong. You WANT an ice cream"

Nobody really needs a record player!

Note, I am not, never have been, and unlikely to ever be an LP12 owner.

But it strikes me if the current production LP12 is to be switched to a new bearing and Linn is offering the same bearing to owners of older decks too, that is a 'good' thing.

You might quibble the price but if more units are shifted the development and overheads are shared more widely. Older deck owners can choose whether they want to put the new unit in or seek a serviceable cast off from someone else who has changed - or do nothing. Their choice entirely.

Not many manufacturers of anything would do that - Dyson offer a new motor design to drop in an old chassis - I don't think so. Volvo make the new D4 Hybrid engine available to dealers to fit to my 3 yr old car? - again that would be heaven would it not? Never going to happen.

Maybe, maybe, in the brave new eco world that my kids will help build - that more of this stuff could and should happen. In a small way Tesla running continuous improvement software updates over the air to their cars is a start. Remember in the Florida tornado a while back Tesla released an emergency range extension up date to help get users out of the state.

………...Not many manufacturers of anything would do that - Dyson offer a new motor design to drop in an old chassis - I don't think so. Volvo make the new D4 Hybrid engine available to dealers to fit to my 3 yr old car? - again that would be heaven would it not? Never going to happen.

A very poor analogy.

how many 50-year-old Dysons or Volvos are there around?

Life expectancy of a Dyson and Volvo? Life of an LP12?

Tweaks and upgrades, real or imagined, are the life-blood, the income generator that just keeps giving, for one of the three, and it ain't the vacuum-cleaner or the car.

If you need a major industrial equivalent to an LP12 look at aero-engines. They sell new for around break-even, the real earner is repair, over-haul and upgrades.

Interesting design. Instead of the three bolts that pass through the subchassis with current and older bearing housings, it simply has three studs, and the upper nut screws down tightly and clamps either side of the subchassis.

Mick
Interesing point this and hopefully it will be a more universal fitting allowing use with third party subchassis .

advertisement

Back