advertisement

Next Labour Leader II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The social and economic health of the country would very likely benefit from some militant moderates given many (non-militant) moderates from left and right have given up on politics leaving the nutjobs from the extremes to get on with trashing things. When it gets bad enough the currently disengaged public will likely reengage with politics and dismiss the nutjobs but a lot of damage is almost certain to have been done by then. Bring on the militant moderates I say to stir up the general population and get them to reengage with politics.
There’s never been a better time for them to unveil their militantly moderate plan, has there? And yet...

This is 100% correct. After years of telling people that literally anyone other than Corbyn would be 20 points ahead in the polls they are already s——ing on all the candidates, including Starmer. Nothing will do for them except the re-instatement of Tony Blair in person and total control of the party at every level.

You mean there are Labour members who want to go back to the dark days of running the country? The b*stards. Christ, that would run the risk of having to make compromises to your politics.

Yes, we know all that. When are other actors going to admit that some tactics they used were also a mistake that contributed to a Johnson majority. Until they do, that majority will only face an opposition that continues to be divided and argue amongst itself

Human nature being what it is, if there is an ineffective leader people will try and remove them.

Human nature being what it is, if there is an ineffective leader people will try and remove them.
Human nature now is it. The left make very particular, very obvious mistakes. The right...well, just human nature. No one to blame, certainly no lessons to be learned.

Of course there was opposition to Corbyn, as there was to Blair within the party. What's your point? Should there be no opposition allowed? I didn't support Corbyn but I voted Labour. What's the excuse for those who voted Tory?

Opposition to Corbyn is not the same as actively campigning against Corbyn, which is campaigning against Labour. As ks says, Labout was the only party that could realistically oust the tories. Years of undermining of Corbyn helped ensure a Conservative win at the last GE. I've never quite understood the arrogance of hard remainers turning against Labour because the party did not fall into line with their demand Labour take up a remain positiion.

The problem was he was never really much of an opposition leader, his performance on PMQ was dire and in interviews he was just yawn inducing and uninspiring, why did you ever think he would win?.
You're still not learning anything. Do you think Labour will suddenly be strong enough to win the next GE because Corbyn will not be leader?

If Corbyn was so ineffective those people undermining Labour would have succeeded in removing him, they failed. That is unless you believe undermining the party and helping the tories win the GE leading to his resignation was their grand plan to oust the ineffective leader of the party?

The social and economic health of the country would very likely benefit from some militant moderates given many (non-militant) moderates from left and right have given up on politics leaving the nutjobs from the extremes to get on with trashing things. When it gets bad enough the currently disengaged public will likely reengage with politics and dismiss the nutjobs but a lot of damage is almost certain to have been done by then. Bring on the militant moderates I say to stir up the general population and get them to reengage with politics.
You obviously mean the extreme right trashing things, they are running the country. There are no extreme left nutjobs trashing the country, or even in the opposition party.

If these "militant moderates" are hard-remainers, they will not do anything beyond childish name-calling.

Indeed, but campaigning so hard to undermine a leader, then complaining when that leader is undermined, smacks of a tactic at odds with a strategy

Of course there was opposition to Corbyn, as there was to Blair within the party. What's your point? Should there be no opposition allowed? I didn't support Corbyn but I voted Labour. What's the excuse for those who voted Tory?
Stating an equivalence between opposition to Blair, and the systematic, organised, in certain instances undemocratic campaign against Corbyn is ahistorical

I've never quite understood the arrogance of hard remainers turning against Labour because the party did not fall into line with their demand Labour take up a remain positiion.

I've never quite understood the arrogance of Labour leavers turning against Labour because the party was a majority Remain membership and support.

If these "militant moderates" are hard-remainers, they will not do anything beyond childish name-calling.

Please say this is irony. We have "sensibles", "militant moderates" and the equally ludicrous "hard remainers" but we are supposed to believe the name calling is nothing to do with the left.

I've never quite understood the arrogance of Labour leavers turning against Labour because the party was a majority Remain membership and support.

Please say this is irony. We have "sensibles", "militant moderates" and the equally ludicrous "hard remainers" but we are supposed to believe the name calling is nothing to do with the left.
The militant moderates haven’t engaged in name calling? They haven’t called leave voters thick and racist? They haven’t been describing as ‘hard left anyone who supports policies that in most other countries would be considered moderate, haven’t been calling labour membership Trotskyist?

FFS

The militant moderates haven’t engaged in name calling? They haven’t called leave voters thick and racist? They haven’t been describing as ‘hard left anyone who supports policies that in most other countries would be considered moderate, haven’t been calling labour membership Trotskyist?

FFS

Yes FFS.

"Hard-Remainer" is not name-calling in the manner of "knuckle-dragger", "racist", "thicko", "little-Englander", Steve. It is a way of identifying the type of person who voted remain but is/was prepared to accept the outcome of a democratic referendum versus those who have spent 3.5 years campaigning to have the result overturned, undermining the main opposition in the process. These 2 types of person are entirely different and imo it's the right thing to make that differentiation.

You're still not learning anything. Do you think Labour will suddenly be strong enough to win the next GE because Corbyn will not be leader?

This is the fundamental point, Labour lost because it was divided. If those divisions continue, Labour will continue to lose. And more important, Johnson and Cummings will continue to flourish unhampered by an effective opposition

"Hard-Remainer" is not name-calling in the manner of "knuckle-dragger", "racist", "thicko", "little-Englander", Steve. It is a way of identifying the type of person who voted remain but is/was prepared to accept the outcome of a democratic referendum versus those who have spent 3.5 years campaigning to have the result overturned, undermining the main opposition in the process. These 2 types of person are entirely different and imo it's the right thing to make that differentiation.
What’s interesting is that while the knuckle-dragger", "racist", "thicko", "little-Englander" name calling has been going on for several years, the militant moderates are so indignant to see an insult so quickly

There’s never been a better time for them to unveil their militantly moderate plan, has there? And yet...
Hang on a mo these militant moderates were only invented a few posts ago. Give them a chance to notice and pop into existence, make contact with each other, pull together what is important, attract support from the general population, support from within the political system, etc... This is going to take at least a few more pages.

Given labour has a couple of hundred MPs we first need to sort out whether it is going to remain a hard left controlled party or revert to a moderate left party and hence how much of a part it would play in this militant moderate movement.

There is no moral high ground here Brian, the name calling has been all round. There is no reason to have to accept a referendum that you disagree with - or we would never have had another. If you can't oppose it through the main opposition, who are majority Remain supporters then how do you oppose anything? We are not a plebiscite democracy, at least we weren't last time I looked. There is no reason to stop opposing anything, especially something as damaging as Brexit, you do it by supporting a party that shares your aims. If Labour is not prepared to oppose on such key matters it might as well give up.

This is the fundamental point, Labour lost because it was divided. If those divisions continue, Labour will continue to lose. And more important, Johnson and Cummings will continue to flourish unhampered by an effective opposition

Labour lost because Corbyn was crap and unpopular with the electorate.

What’s interesting is that while the knuckle-dragger", "racist", "thicko", "little-Englander" name calling has been going on for several years, the militant moderates are so indignant to see an insult so quickly

Can you point me to where I have used those terms? It is allowed to call out racism btw of which there has been plenty of freshly emboldened, post Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back