advertisement

Storm Ciara

Lost a fence panel, and a car wing mirror, a branch off a tree hit it after some numpty drive over it and threw it up to my car. Deeply unpleasant this morning.

I hope Anna Meredith puts on a good show tonight. Watching the rain doing its best to drill through the windows, I’m feeling she should be paying me for schlepping out to Warwick University.

I’m pretty sure the news will be showing airplanes making quite artful crosswind landings.
Have you been involved in such a landing - entertaining would be one word. 3 or 4 years ago I was on a flight from Frankfurt coming into Aberdeen just ahead of a storm coming across. Those of you familiar with Aberdeen will be familiar with the buffeting effect when the wind comes over the hills to the West. I was very surprised the flight even took off as landings had already been abandoned at ABZ before we took off.

The flight before ours did bail and the one after bailed as well, all credit to the pilot of our plane but I have to say the way the port wing dipped almost immediately before touch down wasn't for the faint hearted.

Storm kind of arriving with us now - but then we're used to this. Apparently it's only news when it happens in England?

Regards

Richard

Assume things are worse in the North, soft northerner's?
Aye, it's reight. Nowt we can't handle. T'roof come off t'house opposite last night, there's a wall down on't wukkin' men's club, near killed me mate's whippet burrit caught t'bricks on t' way down and it wa' reight, barrin' a few teeth. There's a train off t' rails at Apperley Bridge and a car blown into mi garden, but that's nowt. I hear it's been a right do in Keighley, a third o't 'ouses destroyed, caused millions o'pounds o' improvements.

We's be reight be Tuesday.

Have you been involved in such a landing - entertaining would be one word.

Sure. Into and from ABZ a few times too. Tend to fly BA or Lufthansa as their staff deal with difficult weather far more artfully than most - more time on the simulator I guess. BA in particular have done some great work....crabbed in, wings up and down, auto throttle 'giving it some' and still a perfect landing on more than one occasion...the car was a handful to drive then never mind an Airbus. I won't name the airlines where I've looked out the window thinking mmm fast, mmm off centre, mmm sink rate...and the crew hide up front when you get off.

My daughter flew into Glasgow in that last blow two or three weeks ago, the pilot aborted twice and landed on the third go. It was the last plane in before they shut the airport down. She said that passengers were fairly stressed, as in screaming and clutching each other. Even the cabin staff looked worried.

I did Leeds Bradford to Aberdeen every week for 3 months a couple of years ago, Aberdeen was never a problem, they have those little narrow Saabs that fly in like fighter jets, getting home was occasionally exciting, Leeds gets windy. The home run from Dublin on wintry Friday nights wasn't fun sometimes, the A320s that Sh*tair use get tossed about.

It was forecast to be particulary windy down here on the East Sussex coast, but not too bad so far, although someone rung me up a moment ago from just outside Sevenoaks - it was a wrong number but we had a chat anyway - and she said all the lecky was off up her way.

They identify them so they can track them and warn those likely to be affected. As for names, they start in January with "A" and then b, c, d. Boy girl boy. No repeats if possible, to the next will be David, Derek, Dimitry, Donald, Dick or similar.
They should pick someone at random with the chosen denomination then name the storm after their pet. I rather like the idea of being terrorized by Storm Tiddles or Storm Flopsy.

Full or empty?

Luckily it was empty. One of the patio chairs blew over as well.

On another note, I was watching a Ryanair flight from Malaga to East Midlands on FlightRadar. It seemed to pass over the runway ( not sure if it attempted to land), but then circled around for ages, eventually diverting to Liverpool, landing about 90 mins later. I never knew they carried that much spare fuel. Wind at EMA was 43 Knots. Also, there was an A380 for Heathrow that ended up at Manchester.

It was forecast to be particulary windy down here on the East Sussex coast, but not too bad so far, although someone rung me up a moment ago from just outside Sevenoaks - it was a wrong number but we had a chat anyway - and she said all the lecky was off up her way.

Isn't it known as Sixoaks now?

(edit) just checked Wiki. Maybe should have said Oneoak. 6 of the 7 blew down in the storm of 87, but they have now planted replacements.

There were a couple of clips of aircraft coming in sideways on the news but the modern up to date thing is to show photos of trampolines in new locations. Driving this morning was strange while trying to dodge a gaggle of traffic cones wandering across the road.
We had a brief spell of blue sky at around 14.00 but the rain has come back now

An Emirates 380 From Dubai to Manchester tried three attempts to land then diverted to Frankfurt earlier today.

advertisement

Back