advertisement

Which part of the (former) UK will rejoin the European Union first?

Which part of the former U.K. will rejoin the European Union first?

• Scotland

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • Northern Ireland

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Wales

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • None

Votes: 30 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another example - young Scots louts waiting at the gate at Rosyth to fill in the English Naval ratings. My friend was one of them (naval rating, not lout).
I spent time in Rosyth from Sept 1978 to June 1979 and again in April 1981. Good memories, tbh. Also a memory of snow. Lots of it. At the time I liked Dunfermline and Inverkeithing.

Another example - I was spending a week on the banks of splendid Loch Inch on an outdoors/adventure training course at the same time as the 1990-ish Rugby World cup was on with England playing Scotland in the semi-final. We wanted to go to the nearest town, Aviemore, but were warned off by our local guide as he feared for our safety (ironically the same person who earlier in the week had us dangling off rock-faces and overturning canoes in sub-zero water).....so it appears hatred in Scotland is tolerated but only in relation to the English.
Reminds me of the story of the King of Norway, in exile during the war, going to see Norwegian commandos training in Scotland. At lunch time, he wandered into the local village shop and commented how odd it must be to have so many foreigners around. The shopkeeper dinna liked it at 'a. "I'm sorry," said the King, "I myself am Norwegian" "Och, they're fine!" said the shopkeeper, "it's the English...".

Reminds me of the story of the King of Norway, in exile during the war, going to see Norwegian commandos training in Scotland. At lunch time, he wandered into the local village shop and commented how odd it must be to have so many foreigners around. The shopkeeper dinna liked it at 'a. "I'm sorry," said the King, "I myself am Norwegian" "Och, they're fine!" said the shopkeeper, "it's the English...".

My old uncle was one of the English ones, No.4 Commando. He walked up Sword beach on 6th June 44 alongside Bill Millin and Shimi Lovat.

He got smacked on the nose by a stroppy Glaswegian over a traffic altercation in Wanstead years later. Always tickles me.

Well, one at the moment there is no sign of Scotland holding a Catalan style referendum...Sturgeon says she is opposed, in any case...so why bring it up?
And two, you did mention Spain in that context, that being the inference.
As for your kind invitation to do your research for you, your assertion - your research is the forum convention, and you've come up with zero, so opinion - only - it is.

That's not to say serving EU leaders want to promote Scottish independence.

Some countries, like Spain, will avoid doing anything that might encourage the independence movements within their own borders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51357050

The EU is looking increasingly attractive by the day and that’s before the Tories have actually done anything in this government (apart from sinking the pound again and scaring off investment).

In February, the International Monetary Fund said the sterling was overvalued by somewhere between 5% and 15% in 2015. Just before the referendum, the IMF put the over-valuation slightly higher, saying that sterling was overvalued by between 5% and 20% in 2015. Other experts, like the former governor of the Bank of England and the IMF, have agreed that sterling was overvalued.

The Brexit pound has many advocates on here (remain), though I'm more inclined to listen to the International Monetary Fund.

Now imagine how the unionist community in N.Ireland feel having had ‘The Conservative & Unionist Party’ leave them in a customs union with the EU and erect a border against them. One day it was “our precioussssss Union” the next day they had been sold to the EU behind their backs by Johnson. Time to say goodbye.

Surely 'Conservative & Unionist Team' would be more apt?

Your point should have more correctly said " 3/4 of the population either voted not to leave, did not vote at all or were not eligable to vote in the referendum "

You are deliberately leaving your statement hanging so as to imply that 3/4 of the population categorically do not want to leave and voted so. By using the word "vote" in your claim you must accept that we analyse that vote...if you just want us to reflect upon how many of the gross population did not express a preference to 'leave' then you need to rephrase and leave out the word 'vote'.

Anyhoo...I'm out of this one...said enough. I am talking statistics and you are talking semantics.

Nope. What I said was quite correct. You're the one trying to play semantic games with it. :)

The point is that *whatever* gloss you, or I, or others might try to put on it, those who did not vote leave may each take a view of their own.

Or just keep chanting Lie ,Lie, Lie and ignore the facts.

So we can add the IMF to the list of liars.
What I’ve noticed about your posts is there’s no doubt you can use google, yet you often remain unsure how the numbers you find, fit into the context you’re arguing or at other times you’ll go to hyperbole like “Brexit's not going to be as bad as a Soviet winter”. You’re not the worst- there’s a serial offender who’s had god knows how many hours free arithmetic tuition from fellow members. Surely you know the government itself has estimated the economic damage consequent to Brexit, with different scenarios? You say things like, the ports aren’t blocked, (your) medicines are still available but conveniently forget the government has already spent many tens of millions on contingency plans for this scenario. The ports could block and your medicines may run short- that’s why they’re planning for it.

What I’ve noticed about your posts is there’s no doubt you can use google, yet you often remain unsure how the numbers you find, fit into the context you’re arguing or at other times you’ll go to hyperbole like “Brexit's not going to be as bad as a Soviet winter”. You’re not the worst- there’s a serial offender who’s had god knows how many hours free arithmetic tuition from fellow members. Surely you know the government itself has estimated the economic damage consequent to Brexit, with different scenarios? You say things like, the ports aren’t blocked, (your) medicines are still available but conveniently forget the government has already spent many tens of millions on contingency plans for this scenario. The ports could block and your medicines may run short- that’s why they’re planning for it.

Bet you Boris was dancing round the feckin room when he heard the Coronavirus was a likely pandemic, so many excuses for when things go wrong in such a small package and it’s from a furrin land.

I am not a fan of BJ but this is a bit desperate - what about the cost and strain on the NHS if a pandemic hit the UK - it would surely reflect badly whoever was PM at the time.

advertisement

Back