advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
As there is a political vacuum with the news blackout at the moment, I thought I would treat myself to the third episode of the Thatcher Year (1982-85). That period (the Falklands War, the Miners strike, Brighton bomb) makes our current Brexit travails look like a walk in the park. Irrespective of whether you loved her or loathed Thatcher's policies, there is no doubting her resolve, determination and stamina at an incredibly tense time. Today's crop of leaders suffer in comparison.

Ray

I agree Ray i'm all for this... caring for no one but myself! If them children can't get on their bikes (if they can afford a bike that is) and find work, no one should sponging from a food bank in 2019, i need my chimney cleaning for a start!

www.childrenupchimneys.com, £5 per chimney!

What we need is a bloody good war with someone we can beat! Show them what's wot! wot!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1204728905766227969

I think Dacre is trying to frighten little old blue rinsed ladies into ordering the grandchildren into voting Conservative or they’ll be cut out of the will.

Mark, you seemed different when we met some years ago. I know a good exorcist.
Alex;

Different… relative to what? I think we met in 2015 or 2016, although it could have been a year or two earlier — you’d done some excellent acoustic panels in the Neat room at the Bristol Show. In recognition of that, I feel I owe you a response.

Honestly, as far as I’m aware, I’m the same person, with the same attitudes & opinions, now as I was then. Fundamentally (both then & now), I’m probably closest to a classical libertarian, but I’m essentially a non-tribal individualist (who hates pigeon-holes) & I both recognise & enshrine the rights of both myself & others to think, speak and act as they see fit, within the law. That ‘within the law’ bit is important because our English common law mostly defines what we can’t do, rather than listing what we can, is modifiable by precedent, and while it lasts and when applied properly, operates pretty well as it generally has the consent of the great majority of the populace.

Because I’m non-tribal, I don’t jump to instant judgements on other people based on their expressed political views. In real life, I know a number of people with whom I disagree fundamentally politically, but that doesn’t stop me wanting to know them, as apart from much else, sincerely held views on something will often be based on deeply-held principles, and have perfectly respectable logic behind them which that person has worked out for themselves, for good or ill. That being the case, said difference of views can lead to — and, crucially — withstand, debate from which both sides can potentially learn something new. I therefore tend to assume that if somebody posts something like “**** off you waycist cockhead” as a reaction to anything from anybody, that they haven’t the intellect, or indeed the underlying lattice of principles & logic, to argue their case coherently, so I tend to lose interest.

Like you, I ended up here as a grateful refugee from the ‘evolved’ Naim forum when it went batshit corporate in 2003 (from memory). I joined that in 1996 (I think), when such things were the height of tech, and a very useful & entertaining resource it was, particularly with its original ‘branching tree’ thread structure, which is still not equalled today. People in that place both agreed & disagreed about practically everything, because back then, difference was ‘allowed’, and there could be a proper exchange of views, with civilised debate and much good humour. About the worst it got was when some people who shall remain nameless (Matthew) posted the odd satirical observation about Stallion (if I can raise the great unmentionable), but even that was done with sharp wit and humour, NPD notwithstanding.

Practically 24 years later, we have (here) a supposedly equivalent artefact (an internet forum) which has the atmosphere and conviviality of the ground floor lobby below an ill-maintained block of council flats at night, with flickering fluorescents, urine-soaked concrete and jackbooted Thought Police loitering with cattle prods muttering about ‘failure to comply’. Yes, obviously, the intervening years have seen the rise of brainless ‘soshul meedjah’ which seems (certainly from my viewpoint outside it) entirely without user benefit or cultural purpose, but clearly some of its more uncouth conventions have become the norm & are therefore inherited here.

So in summary, I’m not aware of changing, but the environment & scenery has certainly changed, giving the same relative impression. As I’ve said, I’m non-tribal, and I try to work things out for myself. If somebody I respect expresses a view, then I’m certainly more likely to consider said view because of its provenance, but it’s not a given, and I don’t find myself possessing ‘donated’ opinions, wholesale & unmodified. As an adult, I don’t experience ‘peer pressure’, and although such things can obviously be a factor for children, there should come a time when one grows up (just a little) and at that point it becomes meaningless.

Therefore, I don’t think I need an excorcist. For the avoidance of doubt, I’ll go out on a limb and state that I don’t think you do either.

Surely the point is that as the political editor of the BBC, LK should be aware that any advance reporting of postal vote trends would be controversial at best, criminal at worst. It points to poor judgement, especially when taking into account the heavy criticism she already gets for perceived bias. I can't quite make my mind up whether she is naive or conniving. I'd like to think it's the former, that she's being gamed, but one has to wonder.
It has been done before. Political journalists have been known to indulge in speculation. Of course she may actually know what she is doing, where the line is etc but that isn't going to stop social media experts having their say.

As there is a political vacuum with the news blackout at the moment, I thought I would treat myself to the third episode of the Thatcher Year (1982-85). That period (the Falklands War, the Miners strike, Brighton bomb) makes our current Brexit travails look like a walk in the park. Irrespective of whether you loved her or loathed Thatcher's policies, there is no doubting her resolve, determination and stamina at an incredibly tense time. Today's crop of leaders suffer in comparison.

Ray

She wouldn’t have had much time for many of them today, that’s for sure. In a different league. Current politicians look weak as kittens by comparison.

Thanks for that, Mark. It was a pleasure to read. Nonetheless, I do hope there’s a touch of devil’s advocacy from you in these troubled times. Many of our options are bad at present but in my view none so bad as Brexit and more Johnson. I’m not following fashion here.

Right, kettle on for a brew, I'll probably be able to give it the first hour 10-11 then I'll have to remove the matchsticks and hit the sack. I may set my alarm 10-15 mins early so I can catch up with the progress around 5:15 ish.

All the best everyone and don't do anything daft if it goes the wrong way :)

Ray

Sociopaths have no problems with doubt, remorse or empathy which explains much about “that woman”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back