advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Yes I think I've had that one. Excellent price for a nice winter wine.
OK, stacks in my local branch. Off to get six and my free coffee. Don’t forget to take cup. Don’t forget to take cup... oh yes, and another freebie on the way home at Costa courtesy of Vodafone!
Do you print these vouchers yourself ?
Why waste the printer ink when the postman lobs another batch over the turrets every month?
Almost got this thread from one Xmas to another !
Mmm... with about four regular participants! Perhaps this is where we should should plan our forthcoming uprising - there’s no fear of anyone else finding out.

Mmm... with about four regular participants! Perhaps this is where we should should plan our forthcoming uprising - there’s no fear of anyone else finding out.

Don't know about that, plenty of lurkers like me here.
I'm pretty well stocked for Christmas. Had some growers' champagne delivered last week, so we have deep as well as broad stocks for the coming weeks; just need to get some bits delivered from bond. Then the fun can start next year with replenishment!

Too kind Mr Marchbanks, too kind!
I have to say that in between posting the comment and now, I've snuck in another order of fizz. I tried a blanc de noirs by Fleury the other week, and hadn't thought to look it up until now - it is by far one of the fruitier champagnes I've tried, not sweet, but less acidic and full of flavour. Available to buy in Waitrose and online from France. Case of 6 delivered here was cheaper than 6 collected in-store (without the vouchers that you seem to be swimming in); even cheaper if you get them delivered in France...

I think I was including you, Mr3... then there’s wacko, Weekender... oh, of course there’s the Brexit chappie too - although he seems a bit of a rum cove.

I don't care much for rum, Mr Marchbanks.

Too kind Mr Marchbanks, too kind!
I have to say that in between posting the comment and now, I've snuck in another order of fizz. I tried a blanc de noirs by Fleury the other week, and hadn't thought to look it up until now - it is by far one of the fruitier champagnes I've tried, not sweet, but less acidic and full of flavour. Available to buy in Waitrose and online from France. Case of 6 delivered here was cheaper than 6 collected in-store (without the vouchers that you seem to be swimming in); even cheaper if you get them delivered in France...

I like Fleury. The first biodynamic Champagne. It comes from the Aube, the wines tend to be a little 'softer' from down there, if that isn't too broad a generalisation.

We’re gettin us duty free fags and drink back after we’ve got Brexit done. Stock up on your way back from Benidorm. Job dun.

I don't care much for rum, Mr Marchbanks.
Nor me. I haven’t touched the wretched stuff since downing a bottle one Saturday night in 1975. I was a student, obviously. Nothing is quite as effective as aversion therapy. Thank God it wasn’t a crate of Châteauneuf.

Nor me. I haven’t touched the wretched stuff since downing a bottle one Saturday night in 1975. I was a student, obviously. Nothing is quite as effective as aversion therapy. Thank God it wasn’t a crate of Châteauneuf.

I did it with Scotch, a half bottle of Haig and a bottle of sweet 'sherry' shared with a mate, washed down with some barley wine. Got caned (literally) the next day, haven't been able to even sniff whisky since. That was 1973.

Yes I think I've had that one. Excellent price for a nice winter wine.
Do you print these vouchers yourself ?
Unusually for me, a bottle has gone straight from bag to table. It’s a 2017 and tastes like a year or two would do no harm, but I’m impressed at the final cost of £7.50. I might have to go back tomorrow for a few more and another free coffee. (Yes, I do have another voucher. Sorry.)

Unusually for me, a bottle has gone straight from bag to table. It’s a 2017 and tastes like a year or two would do no harm, but I’m impressed at the final cost of £7.50. I might have to go back tomorrow for a few more and another free coffee. (Yes, I do have another voucher. Sorry.)

And consider that about half of that £7.50 is tax. Who would be an independent wine merchant ?
Good example of a supermarket wine that you can drink now but would be better in a year or two as you say.

Nobody loves me
Sorry, sorry... no slight intended - you probably don’t know what old folk’s memories get like.

I got very excited a few minutes ago when it seemed we were joined by pfm royalty, but it must have been just a forum glitch.

49202462383_818699d1cf_c.jpg

I use the restaurant glasses (just the basic, used to be called Ouveture Red Wine) as my all-purpose glass, nicely shaped bowl, fine but not so fine that it breaks if you look at it, and a stem that's short enough to fit into the glass rack of a standard domestic dishwasher.
Well, I’m down to eleven already after a draining rack topple and collision with a coffee cup resulted in a broken stem. Oddly enough I was looking at it at the time. At least it wasn’t one of the Vinum Rieslings. Maybe I should consider using the dishwasher after all.

Just popped in to lower the tone and recommend three sub £10 reds. They are Which's top 3 but two of them I had already discovered.
Sainsbury's Cepa Allegro Rioja 2013 £9.00
CO-OP Organic Fair-trade Malbec £7.50
And my fave, the cheapest and the one I didn't know about, M&S Tapa Roja £7.00.

Just popped in to lower the tone and recommend three sub £10 reds. They are Which's top 3 but two of them I had already discovered.
Of course I defer to @Swamp Thing in all matters Rioja (and most others), so I thought I’d take this chance to alert him, diversify the thread’s gene pool, and get him to help us push past 1,000 posts by its first anniversary in a fortnight.

Ta.
I've had the Cepa and it ain't half bad for the price...Sainsburys 25% off if you buy 6 or more runs until the 15th. So that's 7 quid.
The 15th is payday around here so I may well top up for Xmas...

I think the Waitrose vouchers are issued to anyone with a MyWaitrose card who shops there once in a while. I used the £12 off £60 on 4 bottles of the Colomé Malbec Calchaquí Valley Salta, Argentina and 2 bottles of the Villa Antinori.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back