advertisement

I wish the British were more like the French

Is that still true ? If so probably not for much longer.
I suspect a last minute rush the other way. Unemployment here is no good and many employers here like me are too scared to employ even when they need someone. So this year I took on a partner and the missus as employee instead of finding an employee, which in England I would prefer to have done. But not here. No way.

So far, our PM rejected everything we’re asking for. The strike will therefore go on. We won’t give in.
Stupid politicians.

French consulate in London reckons there are about 3,000 French owned businesses in the UK employing about 400,000.

No downsides at all to France in your life, eh Bob. It's all perfect innit.

No it isn’t but I accept France is France and I fit in with the way they do things rather than perpetually whine that they don’t do things like the UK.
If you go on at them like you do on here I’m surprised you have any French friends.

Why? Weekends here are not dull. What is perhaps less fun is the fact that it does not go on all night and getting pissed is not quite as popular as in England.

Really?
France has the highest rates of cirrhosis of the liver in Europe.

No it isn’t but I accept France is France and I fit in with the way they do things rather than perpetually whine that they don’t do things like the UK.
If you go on at them like you do on here I’m surprised you have any French friends.
But I don't perpetually whine. I say good and bad things about France, you only say good things and then have a go at me when I say bad things but never give me a thumbs up when I say something positive about it. And that is odd. Maybe you are trying to convince people here that you are living the dream.

I'm still undecided which culture has got it right on this one...but currently I don't like it. The best meal of the day is the evening meal, not lunch...who would want to have going back to work hanging over you during a decent meal and glass of wine.
What a load of nonsense. Each country has its traditions habits and ways of life or would you prefer everybody around the world to have a sandwich and a packet of salt & vinagre crisps for lunch?

What a load of nonsense. Each country has its traditions habits and ways of life or would you prefer everybody around the world to have a sandwich and a packet of salt & vinagre crisps for lunch?
I'd prefer it if my business partner did!

So far, our PM rejected everything we’re asking for. The strike will therefore go on. We won’t give in.
Stupid politicians.
Your pensions are a bit like our NHS. Both under threat and a great desire to protect them!

Not sure how the maths is going to work out though...please help me understand....you can in some cases get three quarters of your final 3 years annual salary for the rest of your life...am I right? And in some cases, retirement can be as low as 62?

Is it a 50/50 job?

Bloss
Yes....we went out for a lunch last week and he ordered a 30 euro plate of raw tuna, cut into a massive flower. He likes to celebrate a morning's work!

My Uk partner and I used to go for a pizza if we hit target. Which was about twice a year.

Your pensions are a bit like our NHS. Both under threat and a great desire to protect them!

Not sure how the maths is going to work out though...please help me understand....you can in some cases get three quarters of your final 3 years annual salary for the rest of your life...am I right? And in some cases, retirement can be as low as 62?

When I became a civil servant, my contract said I could retire at the age of 60 and it was not the 3 final years but the last 6 months!

When I became a civil servant, my contract said I could retire at the age of 60 and it was not the 3 final years but the last 6 months!
So say you were earning 40,000 euros gross annual salary in your last 6 months as a civil servant...at 60, you would get 30,000 euros per year for the rest of your life?

advertisement

Back